125 Gallon Freshwater Stocking Idea

1. Jeff Weiss Initiate Member

Hello all, for the past 3 years I have kept a 55 gallon community tank. I finally got a 125 gallon tank and would like to know if this stocking idea would work.

125 gallon
    8 Tiger Barbs
    5 Roseline Sharks
    3 baby Parrotfish
    2 baby Severums
    2 Red Head Geos
    3 Pictish Catfish
    1 Ropefish

Would this be overstocked or understocked and by how much?
    I don't plan on having this tank in the long run because I think I will be moving in a few years.
    Thanks for all your help.

2. sweendog87 Member Member

Iv heard red head like groups of more than 4 and parrots can do well by themselves so maybe 1 parrot 4 red heads and not sure how severums get along

3. Dempsey Dude Well Known Member Member

What are parrotfish? Do you mean blood parrots, or true parrot cichlids?

4. Stephen Hiatt Well Known Member Member

The OP is more than likely referring to Blood Parrots. Hoplarchus psittacus are extremely difficult to come across.

To the OP, your stocking is fine, but you may want to look into King Kong Blood Parrots instead of normal Blood Parrots. They have a much deeper orange, and they look normal, as they don't have the ugly Blood Parrot shape.

5. sweendog87 Member Member

Yeah The normal. Ones look weird

6. Jocelyn Adelman Well Known Member Member

@Texas Domer should be able to help!

7. Jeff Weiss Initiate Member

Thanks for all your help. I'll do 4 Red Heads and 1 Parrotfish instead. Any ideas on which fish to add first/last and what brand food would be best for them? Thanks

8. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

I'd up the number of tiger barbs to 10 or 12 at least. The nippiness will be lessened if you keep them in greater numbers. I'd up the number of roselines/denisons as well to 8 or 10

I'd reconsider a rope fish. They do better in small groups and are easily outcompeted for food. Not sure a cichlid tank will work out. The geos and sevs should be laid back enough but the parrot will be the wildcard.

9. Jeff Weiss Initiate Member

Ok what could I possibly get instead of cichlids?