125 Gallon Fish Suggestions

~Matt~

Valued Member
Reaction score
I upgraded my gourami tank from a 55 gallon to a 125 gallon and was wondering what other fish I could add. My stocking is listed below:

One Snakeskin Gourami (Male)
Three Opaline Gouramis (Females)
One Pleco (Male)
Nine Corydoras

Any recommendations for this tank (they don’t have to be gouramis) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I also should mention that the pleco is a larger species.

BrynneAleks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Maybe some angelfish, dojo loaches, larger tetras, a large school of barbs? I almost wanna say rainbow fish, those only get up to 4.4 inches, but they're really quick.

If you like bottom feeders/ dwellers, rainbow sharks or one red tailed shark could be a nice addition. If you get a red tailed shark, just don't add another or have black colored fish in with it (it'll think it's another and pick on it, I believe).

~Matt~

Valued Member
Reaction score
BrynneAleks said:
If you like bottom feeders/ dwellers, rainbow sharks or one red tailed shark could be a nice addition. If you get a red tailed shark, just don't add another or have black colored fish in with it (it'll think it's another and pick on it, I believe).
My snakeskin is black, but it’s extremely large. Would you recommend that I not get a red tailed then?

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
IME as long as they don't look similar or the snakeskin in this case is the bigger fish the redtail won't have issues with it....Then again mine likes to chase my half grown bala sharks around sometimes, I'd say it's 50/50

~Matt~

Valued Member
Reaction score
nikm128 said:
IME as long as they don't look similar or the snakeskin in this case is the bigger fish the redtail won't have issues with it....Then again mine likes to chase my half grown bala sharks around sometimes, I'd say it's 50/50
Tbh I would prefer not taking the chance. The snakeskin is my buddy, lol, I’ve had him for 8 years.

BrynneAleks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
~Matt~ said:
Tbh I would prefer not taking the chance. The snakeskin is my buddy, lol, I’ve had him for 8 years.
I read somewhere that someone had a red tailed shark and black mollies in the same tank (along with other fish) and the shark mistook the black molly as another shark til it realized it wasn't a shark lol. Spotted catfish seem pretty chill and they're very nice looking!

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years

BrynneAleks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
nikm128 said:
Pictus catfish?
Oops duh, yes, pictus catfish. I love their whiskers. They're apparently pretty durable if they get stuck in your fish net and you have to pull them out

NKlamerus

Valued Member
Reaction score
Pictus catfish are probably the most durable fish I've ever had in a tank.

Had one that hit almost 5" and fended off a largemouth bass and a pike/pickerel for years. Would kick the bass out of it's hole just to sniff around for a free minutes and leave.

Ended up dying from age I assume. Had 3 or 4 others throughout the years, always a good trade fodder as they are usually active regardless of time of day.

mollybabes

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
BrynneAleks said:
Oops duh, yes, pictus catfish. I love their whiskers. They're apparently pretty durable if they get stuck in your fish net and you have to pull them out
Yeah, though technically you're supposed to catch them with a container of some sort since the whiskers can break, and barb your finger if you grab them.
mollybabes said:
silver dollar?
....or discus...?

BrynneAleks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
NKlamerus said:
Pictus catfish are probably the most durable fish I've ever had in a tank.

Had one that hit almost 5" and fended off a largemouth bass and a pike/pickerel for years. Would kick the bass out of it's hole just to sniff around for a free minutes and leave.

Ended up dying from age I assume. Had 3 or 4 others throughout the years, always a good trade fodder as they are usually active regardless of time of day.
I love knowing that! That's too funny! Makes me want to add them to my list to get as soon as my 55 is right. OP let me know what you end up with!

nikm128 said:
Yeah, though technically you're supposed to catch them with a container of some sort since the whiskers can break, and barb your finger if you grab them.

....or discus...?
I didn't think about the container part and if it counts towards anything, I had to catch two at work and didn't snag the second one in the net! Luckily no whiskers were damaged in the process.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom