125 Gallon Filter setup What filters do you recommend?

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by cabrerarm, Aug 8, 2015.

1. cabrerarmValued MemberMember

I'm about to buy a 125 Gallon tank. I want to set it up as a cichlid tank and I want to make sure the water is pristine and that I get good circulation throughout it. I'm stuck between using 2 hob filters or 1 canister filter. I honestly don't know which is better or how to set them up for a tank this big. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

2. BDpups

BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

You can get 2 Aquaclear 110's if you go with HOB's. This is what I would do, get a Eheim 2260 or 2262. Or if those are out of your price range and you still want a canister, a Fluval FX6 would work too.

3. OP
    OP
    c

cabrerarmValued MemberMember

The FX6 sounds nice. I have a 306 in my 60 gallon but I wasn't sure if that was the way to go with the new tank. The money isn't an issue so I have to ask is the Eheim worth it? I've only used Fluval in the past, but if it's a better quality I have no problems switching over.

4. BDpups

Eheim's are all I have ever used, so that's why I am biased towards them. I've never heard anything bad about Fluval's. Just never used one.

I think Eheim's are worth the money though. I have never had a problem with the Classics. The Pro series on the other hand are not worth the money at all. Overpriced and under powered. I use a 2080 on a 75 gallon.

5. OP
    OP
    c

I'll have to think on this thanks for the advice.

6. jay275475Valued MemberMember

I thought I'd give a little piece of advice...
    Though I've only used Fluvals :p I would say go with the FX6 if you could because I remember a youtuber with a 300 gallon with over 50 cichlids (Some large amount)... running with only 2 FX6 because they are huge compared to most canisters and have a lot of space for biological filtration...

7. BDpups

A 2262 holds 4 gallons of media. An FX6 holds 1.5 gallons.

A Eheim 2260 or 2262 is basically a 5 gallon bucket with a pump on top. They hold a ton more media than a FX6. The difference between the 2260 and the 2262 is the size of pump. One 2262 could filter a 300 gallon.

Sent from my iPhone with my fingers.

8. jay275475Valued MemberMember

Hmm... I guess so.... However when it homes to price difference Fluval beats Ehiem and an Fx6 well easily handle a 125 gallon...

Its $329.99 vs $459.65 and both well get the job done.

9. BDpups

You can get a 2260 for $380. The difference between a 2260 and 2262 is the pump size. Everything else is the same.

A 2262 would probably be too much for a 125. A 2260 would be fine.

Sent from my iPhone with my fingers.

10. jay275475Valued MemberMember

^^ I guess then it comes down to what you prefer xD.
    But honestly with a big budget just get some type of large wet dry sump system...

11. BDpups

I agree. But that is not what the OP is asking. And if you are going to go the sump route, you may as well make one yourself. It's not hard. And even if you buy one, there is still a lot you have to do yourself. Piecing one together and buying a pump and some PVC let's you customize it.

12. OP
    OP
    c

Just out of curiosity can someone give me a link to a good site on building a sump? I'm going the canister filter route but it never hurts to have some info on alternatives.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

13. BDpups

And what you don't find in the stickies, you can ask. Or google.

14. SnyperTodd

SnyperToddValued MemberMember

I don't have time to look right now, but I'm pretty sure this isn't accurate. A Filstar XP-XL holds around 3 gallons, and an FX6 is bigger than that... Where did you find that spec?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

15. BDpups

Which one isn't accurate? Ever seen the inside of an FX6? It's mostly foam.

It's also pretty well known how much media a Eheim holds compared to an Fluval.

I can get the links when I have more time.

And I got the info for the Eheim off the box it arrived in. And I was wrong about that one. The Eheim holds 18L which is more than 41/2 gallons.

@SnyperTodd How do you like your Filstar? For the money I hear good things about them. What size tank to you have it on?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  16. SnyperTodd

SnyperToddValued MemberMember

BDpups The FX6 holding less than 2 gallons of media is what I was questioning. I would consider the foam around the trays media. It is mechanical filter media, but I see why they quoted it the way they did. It's all semantics.

I love my Filstars. I've got 6 of them now of all sizes except the smallest (XP-S). They are very well built. I see some reviews saying they didn't like the quick release valve, but it's by far the best I've seen on any filter I've used. I honestly have nothing negative to say about them. I like their hoses the best, their baskets the best, they're virtually silent, zero bypass, I can have one totally cleaned in less than 10 minutes, and my oldest one has been in 24/7 operation for more than 13 years. Priming is a piece of cake, no sucking on hoses or flimsy pump. Just excellent filters all around. I've got an XP-XL and an XP-L on a 150g, an XP-L on a 72g, an XP-M on a 30g, an XP-M on a 28g hex, and a spare XP-L. I've had several other brands of canister filters but never a Sunsun or an Eheim. I've been looking for a used tank I can recondition (one of my side businesses/hobbies) that comes with an Eheim, but haven't found one yet. I highly recommend Filstar filters, but I don't take it personally if some people don't like them. Filters are a personal choice; I just use what I know won't let me down.

17. BDpups

SnyperTodd Every time I hear about Filstar from someone who owns them I hear nothing but good things. I was just curious if you felt the same. I have heard some mixed things about them, but it seems like the people who have bad things to say about them don't own one.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice