125 Gallon Discus Tank Started!

Ap05
Made the drive down to Shreveport, LA today and picked up my 125 for $330! By the way they have 2 more today if anyone wants them!

Anyway I'm super excited about this tank. It will be mostly a discus show tank. It's a top fin. I thought the tank was cracked, but it's stringy silicone on the bottom in a few spots. Was on all the 125s they had in. Sand will cover it.

I plan to start filling it in a bit. I have 100 pounds of pool filter sand. Will that be enough? Not going heavily planted, mostly driftwood and Java Fern/anubius.

I think I'm gonna see how the stock lights work with those plants. I may switch the bulbs out for 6500k bulbs if they don't work well.

I can put the fish in tonight since I'll have the 2 Emperor filters from my 55 right? I'll have 2 canisters added probably for Christmas.

Anyway I'll post more photos later. Here's the start!

Anders247
Nice! Congrats on the new tank!

Wendigoblue
Awesome! I love discus!

Ap05
Alright all driftwood, Java Fern, filters and fish moved and everyone is acclimating nicely. The discus look tiny in this tank!

I was so scared of that popping noise - stand settling in. I guess I've read so many horror stories I was just nervous about having that big of a tank.

It looks extremely empty right now with only 2 pieces of small driftwood and a medium piece of spider wood. More wood and Java Fern/anubius next!

Ap05
Only pic I have so far. Definitely a work in progress. My spider wood is having to resoak after having it out of the 55 for a while.

removed

Aquarist
Very nice!

You did as I would have done by moving the fish on over since you have 2 established filters on the 125g. Keep an eye on your water parameters to be on the safe side, but hopefully, you have an instant cycle. If not, then you will need daily water changes with Prime Water Conditioner (highly recommended) until the cycle has completed. If you do not have an instant cycle, hopefully only a few water changes will do the trick.

Keep us posted. Congrats on the new aquarium!

Ken

f2002
Wow that is a stunning thing of beauty. Nice! Congrats on the new tank. It is pretty spectacular to see so much space for a discus tank.

SwissCheeseHead
Awesome tank! you'll fill it soon enough. It's like moving from a small apartment to a larger house. You always find ways to fill it

Ap05
Sand is completely settled, water parameters are perfect. My Rummy Nose and cories are still pale however. I think they're still stressed. There isn't many places to hide in the tank yet as we need more decor and the center piece is still not sinking. Hopefully they get back to normal soon.

Also wish I had scooted the tank back towards the wall about 5 more inches. It sticks out a little more than we want. Wanted to leave enough room for maintenance but left a little too much. Oh well, no moving it now lol

Ap05
As far as heating the tank, I think I'm under heated. I only have my 200w heater available right now. I'm thinking I'm getting one for Christmas but may need it before then.

Hester is in the middle of the tank. My thermometer at one end says 82 to 83 pretty steady. In the 55, the temp stayed at 84 to 86. Do I need to turn the heater up more until I get a new one? It's on 86 temperature right now.

Also does sand tend to wash fishes color out? My yellow, orange, and pigeon blood discus all look great but my 2 blues seem not as deep of color. Rummy Nose and cories are washed out as well. The rummies are starting to get their deep red noses back slowly. I don't have hardly any decor yet in the tank, so could they darken up once I get more cover and a background? Everything else is going great.

JeffB
you need two heaters for Discus because they can not take the swings you get with temp changes. also, u did use RO water right?

Ap05
Never use ro water. Straight from tap with prime. They've been doing great. I don't find them nearly as sensitive as people said they are. A little more upkeep but nothing major

JeffB
those are babies. do u have any that are grown? I use about 95% RO water

TexasDomer
As far as heating the tank, I think I'm under heated. I only have my 200w heater available right now. I'm thinking I'm getting one for Christmas but may need it before then.

Hester is in the middle of the tank. My thermometer at one end says 82 to 83 pretty steady. In the 55, the temp stayed at 84 to 86. Do I need to turn the heater up more until I get a new one? It's on 86 temperature right now.

Also does sand tend to wash fishes color out? My yellow, orange, and pigeon blood discus all look great but my 2 blues seem not as deep of color. Rummy Nose and cories are washed out as well. The rummies are starting to get their deep red noses back slowly. I don't have hardly any decor yet in the tank, so could they darken up once I get more cover and a background? Everything else is going great.

You definitely need another heater. Your heater is working overtime to heat that tank, and it might not last as long as it normally would. I'd get a 400 watt heater and another smaller heater (100-250 watt). You could put the smaller heaters on the ends and the larger heater in the middle. With more heaters, each heater has less work. This will also protect your fish in case one heater goes out.

Many fish try to blend in with the sand - lighter substrate washes them out. With darker sand, fish tend to be darker and look more vibrant.

Ap05
I wish I had known that about the sand. Everyone suggested not dark substrate for discus.

So when you have 2 Heaters, do you set them at the same temperature?

TexasDomer
I wish I had known that about the sand. Everyone suggested not dark substrate for discus.

So when you have 2 Heaters, do you set them at the same temperature?

I'd set them a bit lower than what you want and see how they handle that. Often heaters heat a bit higher than where you set them. Set them a bit lower, wait 24 hours, check the temp, and adjust slowly if needed.

JeffB
yes. set them same temp. u have less fluctuation when room temp gets cooler. I have one heater in my main Discus tank and one in the sump but as long as there both heating the water I guess u could add them both to main tank

Ap05
Alright got a background and 300w jager thermostat heater for $34!

TexasDomer
Where did you get the heater? I'm tempted...

Ap05
Big Als through Amazon

Ap05
Update! Got a background, spider wood finally settled, and got a 300w heater. Will eventually be getting a large piece of driftwood and more java Fern and anubius.

Also replaced the stock bulbs with 6500k 24" t8s.

removed

removed

TexasDomer
Beautiful!

el337
Wow, looks amazing! Great job!!

jerodquinn
Man I wish I knew about discus sooner. I would have started a discus tank.. Beautiful fish!

SwissCheeseHead
Great looking tank, but even better looking fish!

Anders247
Looks great!

Ap05
Think we are gonna ditch getting more rummynose and go with Harlequin raspboras instead. Well get 25 of those and have 25 Cardinals to go along with them. Wife likes the harlequin more as they have more color.

The sand seems to have washed out rummynose out

APColorado
Looks great, how often do you do water changes?

Disc61
those are babies. do u have any that are grown? I use about 95% RO water

you need two heaters for Discus because they can not take the swings you get with temp changes. also, u did use RO water right?
RO is not necessary unless you are working with a pair. straight tap using a good Dechlor is usually all that's needed. some might age their water if needed but the Discus of today is well adjusted to our tap water.

Sorry I missed this Ap05 , awesome looking tank. But as already said, Discus are even better, always a good sign when you start with quality fish. very nice....

Ap05
Looks great, how often do you do water changes?
On this tank, I do about 40% every other day, or 75% twice or so a week

Ap05
Found this 4 or 4.5 foot long piece of driftwood at our local lfs. They want $95 for it. I'm trying to convince my wife to get that only for me for Christmas. It would be so awesome with some Moss, Java Fern, and anubius tied to it. I'll have to cut a little piece of it to fit width wise. Not gonna find another piece this big and good for any cheaper! It's probably 8 or 10 inches tall.

removed

TexasDomer
Found this 4 or 4.5 foot long piece of driftwood at our local lfs. They want $95 for it. I'm trying to convince my wife to get that only for me for Christmas. It would be so awesome with some Moss, Java Fern, and anubius tied to it. I'll have to cut a little piece of it to fit width wise. Not gonna find another piece this big and good for any cheaper! It's probably 8 or 10 inches tall.

It's a nice piece, but I bet you could find a branch just as nice outside for free!

Ap05
Got the piece of wood for Christmas from my awesome wife. Can't wait to get it cut a little and get some plants going on it!

Ap05
And we're soaking!

removed

Ap05
About to order 25 Harlequin raspboras and 25 Cardinals. Wanted to add 6 more Amano shrimp but I think I'll wait. That will be all of the dither fish.

Anders247
Looks good!

Ap05
25 Harlequin raspboras and 2 Amano shrimp arrived today. All are in terrific shape and eating well. Tomorrow the Cardinals hopefully arrive.

JeffB
when I put my large piece of drift wood in I put suction cups on the back side and stuck them to the glass. keeps it from floating

Ap05
Well it's slowly starting to sink.

Added a few wisteria plants and the Harlequin Raspboras. I love the raspboras and they school really good. They're growing already! I had about 12 raspboras left when I sold one of our 55s. Wish I had them now to add to this group.

The Cardinals are in quarantine and are pretty small. I think the discus would eat them so I'm gonna let them grow some. Hopefully 22 in my 20 gallon qt isn't too many and will grow decently.

The big right side of this driftwood still isn't even halfway sinking. It bobs right up when you push it down. Hopefully it sinks soon. I'm ready to have it set.

Last, I will be adding a 72" Beamworks LED light. I think it will give me good plant growth without going overboard on algae. Will also hopefully give some good color on the fish!

removed

removed

Ap05
Thought I'd upload some pictures I just took. I've had the red Marlboro and the blues since September. Got the Pigeon and Yellow in October, and the red melon in November.

removed

removed

removed

removed

removed

removed

removed

removed

removed

removed

removed

removed