125 Gallon Community. Help 

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thedudeiam94 said:
Dang Dave nice to see you again lol any plans to add more angles with the males to see if you can get a female? Or just staying clear of the tank “drama” for the time being? But the acara would be a good bet on babies if you can make sure you’re getting a pair. But you would need a few extra angles to add to whichever tank you place that removed angle back into to relieve the stress with two males. (This is why I’m hesitant to try angles) hard to sex and hard to keep from killing one another. Seen it happen one too many times.
I'm thinking of rehoming 1 of the males. I'd consider another angel but it would have to be a know female.

I have 2 male and 1 female acaras. I want to breed the 1 pair I have.

tfreema

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Good to hear from you. It had been a month which is unusual.

jenmur

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Oh wow! Not even getting along in a 125?? Meep! -whispers- I has 2 Angelfish.
I need plant! I need my 75.
Ohh Acaras could be interesting and fun to breed. They take care of babies too, right?

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hey, Buddy. Glad to here your still playing in the water. LOL
Have fun with the Acara breeding, I did. I need to keep the pair apart or they spawn every 3-4 weeks. I had Acaras in every tank.
Taking a break for now.

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
jmaldo said:
Have fun with the Acara breeding, I did. I need to keep the pair apart or they spawn every 3-4 weeks. I had Acaras in every tank.
Taking a break for now.
You should try TetraColor Tropical Granules. My EBAs lay eggs every 10-14 days. 8-10 days when I condition them with frozen foods.

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
tfreema said:
Good to hear from you. It had been a month which is unusual.
Thanks. Yeah there hasn't been much new going on with my tanks.
jenmur said:
Oh wow! Not even getting along in a 125?? Meep! -whispers- I has 2 Angelfish.
I need plant! I need my 75.
Ohh Acaras could be interesting and fun to breed. They take care of babies too, right?
Yeah my angles have a New York attitude I guess lol. Yeah I hear they are good parrents. Thinking about setting up the 40 to have them spawn in.
jmaldo said:
Taking a break for now.
Yeah it should be fun. Problem I'm gonna have is getting rid of the babies. My LFS went out of business.

Not much has changed, but I figured I'd post an updated picture of the 125 anyway.

I also wanted to update y'all on the CO2 system. I bought a 20 pound cylinder on January 11th. 9 months later it's still going strong. It's running about 18 BPS for about 9 hours a day. I priced the refill on it and it's only 30 bucks. Looks like I may get a year out of this tank. Not bad.

Here's the 40 and 29. Just finished a water change on both.

jenmur

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Dave125g. Oh boy. I’m gonna discuss things with my two. Do it! Do it! Hehe. The tanks are looking good 4]. And woo hoo on the CO2 cylinder working so far this year. That sounds like a great deal

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok I put player in the 29 with the other male angel fish. The first 20 minutes was iffy, there was a lot of pushing and lip locking going on. But now they seem to be getting along good.

jenmur

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You think they may end up getting along?

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
jenmur said:
You think they may end up getting along?
It looks good so far. I sure hope so. I wanna use the 40 to breed either the acaras or the rams. Those 2 pairs have been trying to spawn but with all the fish in the 125 the eggs never last.

The 2 big boys are doing great together in the 29. I'm gonna put them in the 125 and move the other angel in the 29. That's what he gets for being a bully.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Dave125g said:
The 2 big boys are doing great together in the 29. I'm gonna put them in the 125 and move the other angel in the 29. That's what he gets for being a bully.
I like how you are documenting the angel shuffling. Seems to be a necessity to have that option at point at least when keeping a group of angels. Your tanks are so proper and clean, they look fantastic :)

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
angelcraze said:
I like how you are documenting the angel shuffling. Seems to be a necessity to have that option at point at least when keeping a group of angels. Your tanks are so proper and clean, they look fantastic :)
Thanks. All the Angel's I get seem to have behavior problems lol.

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Was hoping to shuffle some fish around today, but man I got a busy day. Hopefully I can get this done this evening. Here's my plan.

I've decided to try spawning the rams. My older pair have had a breeding pit dog for weeks now and they've been defending it hard, so there going in the 40 to spawn. Gonna be fun trying to catch them in the 125.

The lone angel in the 125 is going in the 29, and the 2 males in the 29 are going in the 125. They proved they can coexist, so there getting a bigger tank.

Well I got all that shuffling done. The 2 angels seem very happy in there new home. The rams not so much.

tfreema

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Man, I feel your pain! I have been shuffling and shutting down tanks all while trying to keep up with daily life stuff. Glad you were able to work out a way to have some of your angels in the 125g.

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
tfreema said:
Man, I feel your pain! I have been shuffling and shutting down tanks all while trying to keep up with daily life stuff. Glad you were able to work out a way to have some of your angels in the 125g.
Thanks. Yeah the 2 boys seem to be doing pretty good in the big tank. Wish I had a female. I miss having a breeding pair in the 125.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I know how you feel Dave! I wish I could send you some females! I do not have a lot of females atm either though, and presently I have 5 males and 3 females in my 120 gallon. I didn't think 5 males would work, but I didn't know the sex of some juvies I consolidated in 2017. They are all grown up now, and i think it works for the most part, except the females change partners often. I added 2 pairs (4 angels) after that as well, no problems. (I lost my angel group to a parasite in 2017/2018) so I only have the 8 I added.

Just so you know it's possible to add some angels at one point. I just would add 4 at a time at minimum for you. Well that's what I did with no problems. The new angels can be subadult, but remember 'things' will change when they mature. They have to be a good size though, at least 8 months. That's my experience.

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
angelcraze said:
I know how you feel Dave! I wish I could send you some females! I do not have a lot of females atm either though, and presently I have 5 males and 3 females in my 120 gallon. I didn't think 5 males would work, but I didn't know the sex of some juvies I consolidated in 2017. They are all grown up now, and i think it works for the most part, except the females change partners often. I added 2 pairs (4 angels) after that as well, no problems. (I lost my angel group to a parasite in 2017/2018) so I only have the 8 I added.

Just so you know it's possible to add some angels at one point. I just would add 4 at a time at minimum for you. Well that's what I did with no problems. The new angels can be subadult, but remember 'things' will change when they mature. They have to be a good size though, at least 8 months. That's my experience.
I've had the same experience in the past too. Yeah there hard to sex as adults and impossible as juveniles lol. Sorry you lost a few there. We all been there. I haven't ruled out the possibility that the 1 marble angel is female. I could be witnessing pairing. Or it could just be cichlids being cichlids. Time will tell. As long as they dont hurt each other I'm happy.

Oh and on the rams (that are now in the 40) there still not happy about being in a different tank. This pair is just gonna take some time before they spawn.

jenmur

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Glad the two boys are getting along. Gives me hope just in case.

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just a few pictures from today. The boys seem to be getting along just fine. If I didn't know any better I'd say there a matted pair. That's just wishful thinking.
20191023_125057.jpg
20191026_121532.jpg
20191026_121637.jpg

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Dave angels look great! What is the blue fish?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom