125 Gallon Build

1. bNissan

bNissan Valued Member Member

I plan to use this thread as a build log for my new 125 gallon tank (actually 126.9 - 22"H x 72"W x 18.5"D).

So I am a relatively new fish keeper, and a university student with one year left until graduation. I have been enjoying my 45 gallon long learning everything I can with the goal of keeping more interesting and demanding fish in the future. My father noticed this and somehow managed to have a friend with a dry 125 gallon tank taking up space in his basement. This gentleman used to keep cichlids and wound up with a snail infestation. His solution to this problem was to get quit the hobby. I am assuming that his wife had asked him many times to get rid of the tank and he was more than happy to give it to a friend.

That is how I wound up with a free 125 gallon setup (tank, stand, heaters, and filter). This tank is relatively clean. There is quite a bit of hard water on the glass lids, as well as some on the sides. I am currently using some vinegar/water mixture and razor blades to clean the glass.

I plan on using pool filtration sand because my girlfriend (soon to hopefully be fiancee) expressed that she doesn't like my black blasting sand, and is more interested in natural looking sand. The goal is to convince her that she wants to keep this tank in her future house. I would also like to keep corydoras which I am not comfortable doing with blasting sand as it feels too sharp to the touch for me to be comfortable with it.

I currently have the following fish that I plan on moving over once the cycle has started. I might just throw my filters on the back to get an instant cycle.
    8 - glowlight tetras
    10 - female guppies
    1 - dwarf gourami
    1 - long fin albino bristlenose

I will probably up the number of tetras, and the number of guppies should definately go up as some of them are pregnant and I am looking around for some interesting males to throw in for them to breed with. I don't plan on going crazy with stocking as I will be moving out in a year and plan on maybe keeping angelfish when after I move and get my big boy job.

I plan to get some plants growing and was wondering if you lovely people could give me some plant suggestions as I am new. I currently have 1 small java fern and 2 small amazon swords (that are currently melting). I am open to any and all suggestions, and I am a researchaholic.

Thanks in advance,

Bryan

TLDR: Sorry for thew wall of text. I somehow wound up with a free 125 gallon tank, and am currently planning for the future. What would you do in my situation?

Pictures will be uploaded in my album here

Attached Files:

2. OP
    OP
    bNissan

The filter is a 3 stage canister filter that is supposedly rated for 125 gallons. I ordered some of these bio balls on amazon to try out, and I have 2 filter floss liners that the guy had left over. What else would you suggest putting in the canister filter?

I have an extra 10 gallon laying around that I am thinking about turning into a sump, is it too small or is it a good idea? I could use the 45 gallon instead and have the 10 gallon be a quarantine, but would rather it be the other way around if possible. I plan on keeping my heaters in the sump. Would it be possible to have water from the tank go through the canister filter, into the sump, and then back into the tank with minimal required additional equipment?

Thanks again to you brave souls who read all of this

3. ounderfla69

ounderfla69 Valued Member Member

!0 gallon is too small for a sump for that size tank.

4. OP
    OP
    bNissan

So you are saying that it would not be beneficial to turn my 10 gallon into a sump and run it along side the canister filter? I assumed that any filtration is good filtration.

5. ounderfla69

ounderfla69 Valued Member Member

A sump should be at least 40% of the size of the tank.

6. OP
    OP
    bNissan

I found the rocks that I was looking for. It took about 10-15 gallons of boiling water to clean all of them, so far I think it is shaping up well. Now it is time to look for plants, does anyone have recommendations? I am thinking I would like some low profile ground cover to put in the cracks between rocks in order to spread out and make a carpet.