125 Gallon Amazon River stocking

AGAqua

I want to make an Amazon river biotope. I just wanted to make sure this isn’t over stocked which I believe it isn’t.

6 Geophagus Red Head
6 Silver Angelfish
12 Congo and Diamond tetras
10-15 cories

this species of geo only gets to around 6 inches. Anyone have an opinion on this?

A201

IMO, the stocking level looks a little low for a 125 gal. Adding more Tetras & Cory Cats would be fine.
Congo Tetras are African & obviously shouldn't be included in a strict Amazonian bio type.
Maybe add groups of Columbian, Bleeding Heart & Buenos Aires Tetras instead.
For added interest maybe add a couple of fancy Plecos such as a Gold Nugget & Dull Eyed Royal.

Upvote 0

86 ssinit

Sounds like a nice set up. Yes switch out the tetras. But buenos Aries do eat plants. If your thinking of going that way.
Some sand and driftwood that you can stand up to look like roots would fit nicely. Do that in one area and maybe some Val or crypts in another area would also fit the area.

Upvote 0

AGAqua

IMO, the stocking level looks a little low for a 125 gal. Adding more Tetras & Cory Cats would be fine.
Congo Tetras are African & obviously shouldn't be included in a strict Amazonian bio type.
Maybe add groups of Columbian, Bleeding Heart & Buenos Aires Tetras instead.
For added interest maybe add a couple of fancy Plecos such as a Gold Nugget & Dull Eyed Royal.
I was inspired to do a very mixed tetra tank but now I have change of plans. Thanks for the tetra suggestions and I’m glad it wasn’t over stocked. And I will add more cories too.
Sounds like a nice set up. Yes switch out the tetras. But buenos Aries do eat plants. If your thinking of going that way.
Some sand and driftwood that you can stand up to look like roots would fit nicely. Do that in one area and maybe some Val or crypts in another area would also fit the area.
I am also using silica sand which is a bit yellow and more natural. I’m also going to use different sizes of gravel and a couple of long pieces of driftwood flowing across. I have my tank as a peninsula so the side against the wall I was thinking of putting some Val there (I don’t know if it’s native pretty sure it’s not, but either way I love the look of it), some Amazon swords and maybe some java fern. If you guys have any plant suggestions I’d be open to some. Thanks a lot for the feedback

Upvote 0

MacZ

this species of geo only gets to around 6 inches.

If you mean the Geophagus sp. "Tapajos Red Head", they get up to 25cm or almost 10 inch.

I would incorporate rounded river rocks and whole IALs for decoration.
Plantwise maybe 1-2 big amazon swords and not too small floaters like water lettuce and pennywort. The Geos will dig up Vallisneria which cannot really take root in such fine sand. Java fern is out for an Amazon basin biotope unless you don't care where the plants are from originally.

Upvote 0

TClare

Seriously fish gives up to 25cm for G”tapajos” but most sources suggest that 15cm is the more usual adult size. Red hump Geophagus (G. steindachneri) reaches only 15cm. Take up the suggestions that have been made and this should be a very interesting and impressive tank!

Upvote 0

AGAqua

If you mean the Geophagus sp. "Tapajos Red Head", they get up to 25cm or almost 10 inch.

I would incorporate rounded river rocks and whole IALs for decoration.
Plantwise maybe 1-2 big amazon swords and not too small floaters like water lettuce and pennywort. The Geos will dig up Vallisneria which cannot really take root in such fine sand. Java fern is out for an Amazon basin biotope unless you don't care where the plants are from originally.
I was already planning on adding water lettuce. In my current setup its covering half my tank. And I want to add river rocks but dont know where to get them. The rivers near me are not good. And I keep seeing mixed info but a lot of people say they grow to 6 in on average.

Upvote 0

MacZ

I'm just going by the specimens I've seen in person, which were often around 20cm. So I'm sceptical of the numbers usually spoken of.

Upvote 0

Zach72202

Just my .02 here. I have also heard Geo. Tapajos get to about 6 inches, but in the case that they may grow larger, a great substitution would be Geophagus Sveni, one I am personally on the hunt for. The Geophagus Steindachneri are smaller yes, but aren't very pretty in my opinion. Like an ugly pantano cichlid crossed with a young flowerhorn if it was grey/dull green in color.

Furthermore, I would suggest picking a larger species of corydoras to house in the tank, as when geos get full size they may attempt to eat smaller specie corys. Going by the theory of if a fish can fit it in it's mouth, it might as well be food. I would stay away from pandas, pygmy's, hasbrosus, hastatus. What I would suggest is Aeneus, Leopardus, Sterbai, or maybe even a Brochis splendens or Brochis Multiradiatus. I would say as long as max size is around 2.5"+ you should be good. Just airing on the side of caution here :)

Also, if you can find True Leupoldi Angelfish, it is much worth it. I have 5 of them (Pterophyllum leupoldi) and they are absolutely gorgeous, bit feisty though. They give my Spotted Congo Puffers a run for their money!

Upvote 0

AGAqua

Just my .02 here. I have also heard Geo. Tapajos get to about 6 inches, but in the case that they may grow larger, a great substitution would be Geophagus Sveni, one I am personally on the hunt for. The Geophagus Steindachneri are smaller yes, but aren't very pretty in my opinion. Like an ugly pantano cichlid crossed with a young flowerhorn if it was grey/dull green in color.

Furthermore, I would suggest picking a larger species of corydoras to house in the tank, as when geos get full size they may attempt to eat smaller specie corys. Going by the theory of if a fish can fit it in it's mouth, it might as well be food. I would stay away from pandas, pygmy's, hasbrosus, hastatus. What I would suggest is Aeneus, Leopardus, Sterbai, or maybe even a Brochis splendens or Brochis Multiradiatus. I would say as long as max size is around 2.5"+ you should be good. Just airing on the side of caution here :)

Also, if you can find True Leupoldi Angelfish, it is much worth it. I have 5 of them (Pterophyllum leupoldi) and they are absolutely gorgeous, bit feisty though. They give my Spotted Congo Puffers a run for their money!
Thanks a lot! Didn’t know which Cory species to put in here either that helps a lot. Might be a month or 2 before I redo my tank. And while researching I came across them and thought I might’ve seen them for sale though I’d have to look again.

Upvote 0

Natalie666

I cannot wait to see the finished outcome of this!

Upvote 0

Latest threads

Top Bottom