125 Gal Lighting Question

Fisherman15

Hello everyone!
Its been awhile since I've posted here, but I've truly done as much research on lighting and PAR, (and trying to keep the cost down for a med light tank) I need as much help/input as possible. Here is some pictures of my tank (from left to right), and then a picture of the hood/glass top:

vzIrB.jpg
QItOr.jpg

p1Feg.jpg

hMJcv.jpg

6z8JQ.jpg

So the main reason why I am coming to all of you is that I just recently switched from my 55 gallon, and need sufficient lighting for this new tank. I got the tank for a killer deal, and it came with the two t12 fixtures (F20T12/Plant & Aquarium), but I know that this is nowhere near enough lighting for a medium lighted tank. I've been looking into getting another form of fluorescent shop light (T8 or T5 if I need the HO), and been in a bind because I don't know what I should get. I'm not going to be using CO2, but I do dose with flourish and excel. This may sound like a ramble but I've been thinking about multiple options: 1. a 4 ft ballast (T8 or T5) with 2 lamps and put the 2 t12 fixtures at the ends to compensate for the ends being dim. 2. get three 2 ft lights (T8, 2 lamp) and have varying bulbs in them to distribute different light. 3. Could I possible go with the LED shop lights? 4. Would it be cheaper in the long run to cough up the money and buy an aquarium light fixture? I really enjoy watching plants grow as well as keeping fish, so I'm not looking to spend a great deal of money on the lights (since I will be restocking the tank with large fish). 5. Ive been thinking about using clamp lights and having multiple of them, but do they get hot/need to be elevated off the glass? Would it work if I used CFLs, or if I bought a bulb with high PAR (if that's possible...like I said, I don't know much about lights). I'm also capable of running a fan behind the hood to keep things cool. I would really like somebody's (more like everybody's) input on what would be the best option to cover a 6 ft 125 gal aquarium. Please help!!!

If you've read this far thank you so much and if you could help/throw some input it would be greatly appreciated!

dcutl002

Hello everyone!
Its been awhile since I've posted here, but I've truly done as much research on lighting and PAR, (and trying to keep the cost down for a med light tank) I need as much help/input as possible.
5. Ive been thinking about using clamp lights and having multiple of them, but do they get hot/need to be elevated off the glass? Would it work if I used CFLs, or if I bought a bulb with high PAR (if that's possible...like I said, I don't know much about lights). I'm also capable of running a fan behind the hood to keep things cool. I would really like somebody's (more like everybody's) input on what would be the best option to cover a 6 ft 125 gal aquarium. Please help!!!

If you've read this far thank you so much and if you could help/throw some input it would be greatly appreciated!
Actually, Clamp Lamps with CFL bulbs are used quite often:
My inexpensive CFL light solution - The Planted Tank Forum

Long thread, but a good read:

Dave125g

Here's my low cost medium-high light set up.
d94c942fa35cb714448a2d970ce54480.jpgThe light bar in the middle is a T8 twin tube florescent shop light with 1 grow bulb ant 1 full spectrum. On the right and left side I have a dome clamp light with a 5000 k bulb.
Dome clamp light fixture : 6 bucks
4 foot florescent fixture:15 bucks
4 foot grow bulb: 15 bucks
4 foot full spectrum bulb:3 bucks
5000k screw in led bulb: 8 bucks
Total : $69.00
Edit: all of these were purchased at Lowes.

grantm91

That's a clever cost effective system Dave125g $69 and your planted that's amazing.

Dave125g

That's a clever cost effective system Dave125g $69 and your planted that's amazing.
Thanks. I really want a pair of 36 inch fennex planted plus LEDS ,but that's gonna cost around 300 bucks. Its gonna have to wait.

dcutl002

Dave125g , I really like your ingenuity.

Dave125g

Dave125g , I really like your ingenuity.
Thanks. I got everything at Lowes. I don't understand why when companies label something for aquarium use they think its ok to add 100 bucks to the sticker price.

toolman

I really like my finnex 24/7's, but if money is an issue Dave125g did great. I didn't do that because my tanks are in my tvroom/man cave/fish room so looks were important.

grantm91

I know dave its a joke, I love the finnex too, id have them even though I don't have planted I lit my 120 with cheap led lights as the t5 hood was ruined.
faecff12f828ae993cce997eed81ee5b.jpg
30ae08f407cc509157d8c95c7b577d78.jpg
1b306684728c7b451353b887a44dd65c.jpg
cf5c1164eaea1b81d1cf0a32d8751d21.jpg
5f4a132864477891c69e490d4cf62bf5.jpg the back one is the water proof Chinese led bar with the remote, the chap things look good sometimes you just have to improvise. Just another example for you to play with. I'm a cowboy.

Fisherman15

Here's my low cost medium-high light set up.
d94c942fa35cb714448a2d970ce54480.jpgThe light bar in the middle is a T8 twin tube florescent shop light with 1 grow bulb ant 1 full spectrum. On the right and left side I have a dome clamp light with a 5000 k bulb.
Dome clamp light fixture : 6 bucks
4 foot florescent fixture:15 bucks
4 foot grow bulb: 15 bucks
4 foot full spectrum bulb:3 bucks
5000k screw in led bulb: 8 bucks
Total : $69.00
Edit: all of these were purchased at Lowes.

I know dave its a joke, I love the finnex too, id have them even though I don't have planted I lit my 120 with cheap led lights as the t5 hood was ruined.
faecff12f828ae993cce997eed81ee5b.jpg
30ae08f407cc509157d8c95c7b577d78.jpg
1b306684728c7b451353b887a44dd65c.jpg
cf5c1164eaea1b81d1cf0a32d8751d21.jpg
5f4a132864477891c69e490d4cf62bf5.jpg the back one is the water proof Chinese led bar with the remote, the chap things look good sometimes you just have to improvise. Just another example for you to play with. I'm a cowboy.

Really digging your setup man! It never came across me to do this, but I like the idea! I was up for hours last night thinking and doing research about 125 gallon light setups, and is it worth it just to go with something like these?

1. the biggest one? 2. Two 36 inch lights? I could rest it on top of the tank because it's covered, or if I wanted I could mount it 3 inches up out of the way? I'm just thinking this way would be easier (maybe better??)
One of my two T12 bulbs died, now I really need to get a light ASAP.

*Edit*
Another reason i'm trying to go this route is because my oak hood only gives 5 inches underneath (I could raise it 1 inch, MAYBE), and a shop light should fit but not the clamp lights...

grantm91

Its a good idea but I'm not a plant guy so I couldn't really say yes or no, mine are just for display so I had no specs to abide by it was just whatever I could do to light my tank, I know what you mean with the wood hood though its just as awkward as my plastic one, its harder for you as you want to support plants. Maybe Dave125g could take a look at that light?

Dave125g

If your handy you could even build a canopy. That way you can put the light up to a foot above the tank. Also no light would escape from the gap between the top of the light and the tank.
For some reason that link is not working for me.

Fisherman15

If your handy you could even build a canopy. That way you can put the light up to a foot above the tank. Also no light would escape from the gap between the top of the light and the tank.
For some reason that link is not working for me.

wBfxX-1.jpg

My tank already came with a canopy that matches the stand, and it's not getting redone haha. I had to place my old 55 gal, 2 ft, t5 diy fixture because no bulb for today...

Dave125g

I just skimmed over your original post. Is there something wrong with the twin tube T12 fixture that came with the set up? If all it needs is a couple of bulbs Lowes has T12 aquarium plant bulbs. 1 of those and a 2100k full spectrum bulb should be all the light you need.

Fisherman15

I just skimmed over your original post. Is there something wrong with the twin tube T12 fixture that came with the set up? If all it needs is a couple of bulbs Lowes has T12 aquarium plant bulbs. 1 of those and a 2100k full spectrum bulb should be all the light you need.

Unfortunately it is just 2, 2 ft, 1 lamp, light fixtures on both sides, I would probably need a lot more light than this to grow more plants, I've been assuming.

Dave125g

Your low light plants should do ok with the right bulbs, but if you have medium to high light plants, probably not.

Fisherman15

Your low light plants should do ok with the right bulbs, but if you have medium to high light plants, probably not.

The bulbs I can only put in are F20T12. Is 40 Watt really good enough for a 125?

Dave125g

The bulbs I can only put in are F20T12. Is 40 Watt really good enough for a 125?
Mine are only 32 watt. It depends on the k number. (Color temperature) if its in the area of 6500 k it will work. It won't give you brightness for viewing, but it will give the plants just what they need.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
FishGirl38
Replies
Views
Bwood22
  • Question
Replies
Views
outlaw
Replies