125 community stocking

1. fredfish Member Member

may be upgrading to 6ft 125 gallon tank and want to plan stocking. was thinking something like this:

20ish rummy nose tetra
    15-20ish cardinal or silvertip tetra ( favoring silvertip but heard they can be nippers )
    15-20ish kuhli loaches
    15-20ish cory ( species recommendation? )
    2-5 pearl gourami
    1 angelfish ( thinking just 1 because I don't want aggression issues that I have had in my 56gal )
    1 bolivian ram ( maybe 2 as long as pairs not to aggressive)
    1 bn pleco
    6 Denison barbs

so looking for advice on schools sizes, and compatibility issues. any other centerpiece type fish? would rainbow shark be too aggressive? all advise welcome, planning on being pretty heavily planted with a good amount of driftwood and rocks for hiding

2. Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

Someone on here reported a shark damaging their k loach. I believe it was a smaller tank though.

3. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I wouldn't do a rainbow shark, as for cories do either Corydoras aeneus or C. sterbai.

Also, do german blue rams instead of bolivians.

4. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

I would try to keep the kuhli population higher than the cory population. Something like 20 Kuhli's and 10-15 cories would be better. The reason I say this is the cories are more boisterous and will outcompete the kuhli's for food. With higher numbers for the kuhli's they will be less shy.

5. Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

i think my loaches actually outcompete my catfish. I suspect that this is because cories need more food as they are constantly moving and because my loaches are wiggly enough to out maneuver the cory.

6. fredfish Member Member

What about kribensis? Maybe just one

7. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Will depend largely on the temperament of the krib. Kribs are some of the more aggressive dwarf cichlids as I've seen many say they've had to rehome them for picking on their cories/kuhlis

8. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

IMO, in a 125 you would be fine with a krib.

9. Charles556 Member Member

Kribs are wonderful fish with lots of spunk, but I'd be careful with mixing different species of dwarf cichlids together. I have read online of stories where people have successfully kept GBRs with Kribs, but from my own experience, it didn't work.

My single female krib, even though she was introduced after my mated pair of GBRs, still bullied my GBRs to the point where I had to move the krib to a different tank, or else fish were going to die.

Like tyguy, said, it largely depends on the individual personality of the krib, though, so that's why it works sometimes and fails other times.

10. fredfish Member Member

I would probably only do one species of dwarf cichlid