120g Stocking Ideas, Thoughts Appreciated

1. j

jbelle Initiate Member

Hi all! Prepare yourselves, for I am caffeinated and chatty to begin with. Actual stocking ideas below the indented text!

I've been keeping fish consistently with minimal hiccups the past several years. Currently growing out some feeder goldfish (I love seeing them get bigger!) and a mosquitofish that came in by mistake on one of our feeder shipments when I worked chain pet retail. Rubbish job, but the discount was nice, it gave me great ease of access to the hobby, and I was able to buff up the fish department by correcting many wrongs.

Before I left, I managed to snag a 120 gallon tank and a Fluval FX6 for $300 total on Black Friday with my discount. I've done tropical fish in the past and would really like to get back into it, as much as I love my goldies. The tank is currently sitting in storage but I am finally able to move it out and get things set up soon now that I've got an actual job.​

I was thinking of doing a blackwater tank, with a decent sized group of a large statement species, a large group of a schooling species, and something with shoaling behaviors for the bottom of the tank. I've looked into the care requirements for the following species and I'm confident in my ability to take them on. This stocking checks out on AqAdvisor, but I'd like to hear some feedback in case I overlooked anything.​

My thoughts were:
    • 6 half-black angelfish (see LiveAquaria)
    • 12 bronze cories
    • 18 cardinal tetras
    All of these would be added gradually, of course, and I was thinking to add the angels 2 at a time after everybody else has been established, using my quarantine tank at first, just because I've seen too many angels come and go with ich and other issues. I'm open to suggestions for changes, my only caveats being that I'd like this to be sort of a biotope tank (Amazon river species, blackwater preferred) and my heart is set on angels. I'll admit my biotope idea hasn't been thoroughly researched so the right species could change my mind pretty easily, but I love angels.

I guess the questions that remain are:
    • Are cardinal tetras big enough to avoid becoming an angelfish snack? I wanted neons at first but AqAdvisor was concerned they'd be too small to house with a full grown angelfish. Cardinals checked out, but they don't really get too much bigger, do they?
    • Would the output from the FX6 be too much for the slow moving angels?
    Beyond that, if anyone has plant recommendations, specifically for floating plants (besides anacharis, I already buy it by the bundle for my goldfish to snack on), please let me know!

2. emmysjj

emmysjj Well Known Member Member

Anubis, Java fern, christmas moss, crypts. What light are you using?

I don't know much about angelfish, but you may be able to up the school of cories by a few (correct me if I'm wrong).

3. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

IMO you could do more than that in a 120 :)

4. OP
    OP
    j

jbelle Initiate Member

I would consider increasing the cories if they have enough room to explore the bottom of the tank once you consider plants, driftwood, and leaf litter for the tannins.

I was trying to think of a fourth species but didn't want to make it too busy! Maybe just increasing numbers once things settle in to flesh things out more.

I think I will end up using an LED with a night setting, which is partially why I wanted some floating plant suggestions. I'd like to diffuse the light if possible. Anubias and java ferns are definitely a possibility. I'm not a huge plant person so anything beyond basic ferts and I'm out of my league. They're probably my best bets to start with.

5. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

I envy your restraint. With a 120 to work with... I wouldn’t care about it looking busy :p