120g Heavily Planted Stocking Ideas

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Iambrett, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Iambrett

IambrettNew MemberMember

Hello all,

So, i have freed up my largest tank (120g 6ft long) & i know i am going to have it well planted/scaped. I also have my ideal stocking choice but want to figure out numbers or if anyone has any other suggestions for stocking.

My wish list for this planted tank will be
    Centrepiece - Pearl Gourami x 1
    Bottom Feeders - Panda Cories (either x15 or x20)
    Algae/Wood control - Bristlenose Pleco x1
    Community - Cherry Barbs (x10-20) Glowlight Tetra (x15) Rummynose Tetra (x15)

* I would love to introduce Ammano shrimp here too but i don't think thats a good idea. I already have another tank with Cherry & Ammano shrimp, happy to keep them separate.

I don't wan't to overstock it, just to have a pretty tank but with a good community that will keep the tank active - any other suggestions?

2. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

The only issue I possibly see is the pearl gourami. They do best around 76-82f while the cories and pleco prefer 68-75f. Pearl gouramis are also one of the more social gouramis and tend to do best in groups rather than alone. You could swap the pearl for a dwarf gourami?

3. OP
    OP
    Iambrett

IambrettNew MemberMember

Dwarf gouramis could be an option, just trying to think of a gourami that will be fine as a solo specimen that won't harass or eat the other fish. The community ones aren't good with fry which is good I don't want to breed much in the tank, maybe one new fish to survive out of a batch haha. Also don't want a centrepiece to breed hense solo.

The collection I put together is good but yeah, any gourami or centre solo fish could go?

4. angelcraze

angelcrazeWell Known MemberMember

I have no advice on the fish, but why don't you think it's a good idea to keep amano shrimp? I'll just say I have amano shrimp in my 90g with 8 angelfish. No problems with them being bothered. Had them for years together, the female amanos are always berried.

5. coralbandit

coralbanditFishlore VIPMember

Rummy nose need over 80f also ..They are not a forgiving fish or for those who will be mad to loose a few or half !

6. OP
    OP
    Iambrett

IambrettNew MemberMember

I am not 100% sure, I have another tank I have my shrimp in it so I don't know of I want to have multiple tanks and also don't want them picked off. The tank has a weir with comb so they could also escape get into the sump.

7. OP
    OP
    Iambrett

IambrettNew MemberMember

Rummy out then haha. Just thinking some good colour combo. Just to shy away from Neons or anything, not to say I won't get extra as a filler.

8. OP
    OP
    Iambrett

IambrettNew MemberMember

Black Neons not blue