120 Gallon vs 125 Gallon

DollyDolly

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I can get either of these, I just dont know which to get. I like both but I came here to ask for your guys' opinions. Which is better IYO

EDIT: Oh btw I wanted some angels so thats something to keep in mind

Asomeone

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
It kinda depends on the dimensions of the tank itself. 24 in is the ideal height for their tank since they like their swimming space. If the 120 gal is a low tank vs the 125 being a higher one I'd go with the higher one...otherwise 5 gallons isnt gonna make a difference.

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
IMO, the five foot, 120 long makes for a better show tank than the standard six foot, 125.
The 120 long is taller & wider than the 125, allowing for deeper more complex hardscapes and turn around space for bigger fish.

AcuarioAmazonico

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The guys here make great points. I’m always guilty of being drawn to the higher number: more gallons (or litres in my case) is better! Hahaa

let us know the dimensions of each tank: that will solve it for most of us I think :)

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well it’s all up to what the dimensions are and what you plan on stocking. I have a 125 that is 60”x18”x24”. The standard 125 is 72”x18”x20”. So it’s a foot longer. That’s great for schooling fish. The extra 4” in height for me is better for discus or angelfish. Thing is they make these tanks in all different sizes so it’s really up to what you want and how much space do you have. Sounds like your about to have some fun!! Good luck!

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If these are Aqueon tanks the 120 is 48 x 24 x 25 and the 125 72 x 18 x 24 .
That is their standard sizes.
I like the 48 incher for angels and discus and the 72 for my roselines and clown loaches ...
Look for a 180g and you get 72 x 24 x 24 ..
IMO the tank is the most important and least easy to change part of the hobby.. Worth taking time to order or whatever and enjoy forever ..

max h

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Part of your decission really comes down to your budget and the length of the wall you want to put the tank on. I have a 150 gallon tank that's 60x24x24" mounted on a custom modified stand that originally held a 72x18" foot print tank. The stand was a free, so a buddy of mine who does some really great woodworking added width to the stand and some wood spacers to the opening in the top to hold the 60x24" tank. The wall the system sits on is about 11 or so feet long giving me plenty of space on either side of the tank for additional small tables, and cleaning the side glass etc... Acouple of things I did notice with a tank that has a 24" width is you have plenty of room for some awesome aquascaping, the down side is the back glass can be hard to reach depending how tall you are. Same for the 24" height being able to reach the substrate you can end up to your arm pit in water. I usually do most of the maintenance along to substrate area during larger water changes so the water level is lower, but the reach can still be an issue with the tank rim. If for some reason my 150 has any major issues and needs replacing, I will be getting a 180 gallon to replace it. All my hardware on the 150 gallon gallon will work for a 180 gallon.

I would question the bigger tank having dressers used as tank stands. It looks like the far end of the tank isn't supported by anything. Even though the 120 costs more, if it fits your available space better you will be happier. Some of the cost differences an be made up with what all goes with the tanks, stands, filters, heaters, lights etc...

DollyDolly

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
max h said:
I would question the bigger tank having dressers used as tank stands. It looks like the far end of the tank isn't supported by anything. Even though the 120 costs more, if it fits your available space better you will be happier. Some of the cost differences an be made up with what all goes with the tanks, stands, filters, heaters, lights etc...
I asked the seller what the dimensions are.

I quite like the 120 gallon because it’s not so long long and it’s easier to fit in my room but it costs more. It would be hard to fit the 6 foot tank in there but it’s cheaper.
Another thing I like about the 120 is a shorter light so it doesn’t cost as much, I am staying on a bit of a budget, I hope the 120 is 4x2x2

max h

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
DollyDolly said:
I asked the seller what the dimensions are.

I quite like the 120 gallon because it’s not so long long and it’s easier to fit in my room but it costs more. It would be hard to fit the 6 foot tank in there but it’s cheaper.
Another thing I like about the 120 is a shorter light so it doesn’t cost as much, I am staying on a bit of a budget, I hope the 120 is 4x2x2
I think you have your own answer then, sounds like the 120. It fits better, and the lights don't cost as much if your replacing those. Some of the upgrades you may want to do can be done over time. These days I make sure I have enough money stashed in savings to replace the most expensive tank I have if something happens to it.

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I find taller tanks very difficult to clean and maintain. I’d go with the 125 but I have short arms. If you don’t I’d go with the 120.

DollyDolly

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
saltwater60 said:
I find taller tanks very difficult to clean and maintain. I’d go with the 125 but I have short arms. If you don’t I’d go with the 120.
I’m short too, and I think all I can get my hands on ATM is the 125. Seller hasn’t responded yet and this guy also has fish that come with it that I can trade into my lfs for store credit.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom