120 Gallon Stocking???

watermelon46

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Fishkeeping With Andy said:
Lots of assorted cichlids? Like Africans?
The ones I would want would have in your tank would be the maingano cichlids, butterikoferi, venustus, demansoni, and or frontosa (mainganos are my favorites). But has anyone considered that these probably wouldn’t work with the tetras? If you wanted both, you could divide the tank and one section could be for smaller peaceful fish for nano tanks like the tetras and cories, and the other could be for cichlids.

Fishkeeping With Andy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
That seems cool, I've just never seemed to be fond of divided tanks,

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
East African/Rift Lake Cichlids do not mix with any kind of Tetra. Mixing Tangs and Malawians is usually a bad idea. Most Tanganyikan Cichlids are less frenetic than the Malawian species. They get stressed by all the activity. The Tangs that are frenetic, such as Tropheus, are best kept in single species colonies.

Buttikoferi is a West African species, and does not go well with any East African species. Putting Fronts with any Malawian is generally a bad idea, for the reasons stated above.

I think you're better off looking at SA Cichlids, many of which are considerably less violent than the Africans.

Fishkeeping With Andy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yea, thats what I was thinking to begin with, I just would like to have as many as possible,

ValerieAdams

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Sarah73 said:
chromedome52 I don't know much about the Malawi or Tanganyika ValerieAdams bizaliz3
I got nothing as far as cichlids go, sorry

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I know you've been all over with stocking options, but I was just thinking....
If you did SA cichlids and you want lots of kinds of types, that it would be best to leave the school of geos out.
Then, could the OP add more kinds of types of cichlids in a 120 gallon?

Could the OP do large tetras like diamond, hy511, Columbian, bleeding heart with 1-2 severum, 1-2 EB acara? Any other cichlids fit this? Any other dithers? I'm not sure of cories, but I think an adult BN pleco would be ok.

I'm actually just curious about what I wrote. I've seen all those less aggressive cichlids with large tetras, but I'm curious about thoughts here.

Fishkeeping With Andy What is your source water hardness?

South American cichlids typically like softwater and african cichlids like hardwater. Do you want to be altering parameters for water changes? Either adding minerals in, or using RO to dilute? If not, I suggest you get the fish that would do well in your tap water's hardness as it is.

For ex. my kh and gh out of the tap is 2 degrees. That's why I went with SA cichlids over African. I love them all, but didn't want to be changing water params.

Adding minerals is easier than using RO, Sometimes even a substrate of shell van be enough to keep the pH where African cichlids like it. But with all the waste from big robust fish and heavy breathing and all the water you'd have to change out to keep nitrogen cycle biproducts at bay would likely have to be adjusted if it's soft like mine! Just something to consider.

Fishkeeping With Andy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My source water hardness is about 6.5
6.5 pH? Do you know what your kh and gh are at from the tap? I would go for whatever cichlids would thrive in your tap water levels. South American cichilds like softwater while African cichlids like the pH at ~8.3

Fishkeeping With Andy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I don't know how to test those, and I think south American would work? Correct me if I'm wrong
Thanks for all your help!

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A pH of 6.5 out of the tap is unlikely, but if your water is soft, then yes, SA sounds right.

Fishkeeping With Andy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ya our water is pretty soft,

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Then unless you want to add minerals, SA cichlids would fit your water as it is. That's why I went with SA as well. Just helping you decide what type to keep

BichirKeeper84

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Definitely stick with sa cichlids. Your water is probably to sift for Africans abd most of the centrals

Fishkeeping With Andy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Alright. For the tank, I was wanting severums? Do you know what will go well with those?

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
EB Acara! 2 and 2

Fishkeeping With Andy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So 2 Severums, and 2 EB Acaras, what would go with those?

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Or 2 severum and 4 EB acara?

I'm pretty sure two schools of adult large deep tetras could work. Diamond, hy511, Columbian, rosey.

An adult BN pleco?

H2O Concierge

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok, I was planning on having a 75 gallon tank, but I just found an amazing deal on a 120 gallon! And my parents are letting me get it! So I was wondering about stocking, I want it to be a community tank. Here are the stats:

Tank: 60 in by 18 in by 24 in

Substrate: Sand

Planted? Yes but no CO2 want low maintenance.

What do you guys suggest?
TIA, Andy
There is so much you can do with a 120 gallon. I have a 75 gallon planted (none co2) community tank (Ehiem 2217 & 2275 filters) with 6x Bosemani Rainbows, 5x Roseline sharks (Denison Barbs), 5x Columbian & 2x Black Skirt Tetras, Lg Clown Loach, and a L067 Pleco. This tank gives me much enjoyment...But... I fell in love with Tanganyikans. The personality of these africans are exceptional. Although some do get large, most of the ones I picked do not get over 5" and are slow growing. The PH is buffered to around 9.0 with hard water. I have had these Africans in a 46 gallon bow for about 2 years. After decades of fish keeping I have found the Africans to be very interesting and interactive. There are challenges when dealing with the personalities of these fish, but I believe they are the easiest of the Rift lake Cichlids. Currently I have 2x Frontosa, 1 x Blue Moorii (Dolphin), 1x J. Transcriptus, 1x Auratus, 1x Featherfin Synod., and 2x orange Leleupi. I realize as some these fish will need to be moved to a larger tank, but for now they "get along" fairly well given they have their own "space". I realize that it is not a pure Tanganyikan tank. Good luck with your 125 gallon. Heck you could even have room to set up a section for some "Shellies". I always treat my tanks as if it is a house or an apartment with various tenants who have to at least get along in the common areas. You probably have made your choice by now. Oops...Just read your current stock. Not compatible with Africans but my previous community suggestions would be a good place to start. Have
IMG_4863a.jpg
IMG_5032-2.JPG
IMG_5420.JPG

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom