120 Gallon Stocking???

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm not sure about the gouramis with cichlids. The cories would probably be ok as long as the tank is kept under 77°F. There are cories that tolerate higher temps too like sterbai, duplicareus or Adolfo too.

Cories also like to school with their own kind, and the dynamics of a large cory school in a large tank is hard to beat. You could mix the bronze and albino together since they are the same genus. These don't tolerate high temps very well and need more oxygenated waters.

I wouldn't do livebearers with cichlids because I find them too friendly and innocent to get out of the cichlid's way.

Fishkeeping With Andy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years

BichirKeeper84

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Sorry that is way too many fish even for a tank that size. Something like this could work... Again assuming 5 foot tank

2 sevs
2 eb acaras
1 or 2 BP.
1 or 2 schools of dithers
Bottom dwellers

Or
1 sev
1 eb acaras or angel or bp
5 or 6 tapajos or bandits
1 school of dithers
Bottom dwellers

Sarah73

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

Fishkeeping With Andy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ok so too many cichlids? Or dithers? Or both?

Also what are bandits? A type of cichlid?

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I can't really comment because I haven't kept most of those cichlids. But I don't mind it, although I'd reduce severums to 1 or 2.

I like the larger tetras option like BH. Also hy511, Columbian would be awesome IMO. I have kept congos as well, they would fit but are from softwater river basins in Africa like the kribensis and butterfly dwarf cichlids.

The hatchetfish are top dwellers, they might get in the cichlid's way, but ice never tried them either.

Sarah73 said:
Bn pleco can be in temps of 68-82.
I keep mine usually at 80°F. They might grow quicker, breed often and not live to be 10 years, but they are doing well

Fishkeeping With Andy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So I could do my Bristlenose then?

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeppers! Love BN plecos! They are both bioload though, so I'd stick to 1 or 2.

Fishkeeping With Andy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Nice! But kind if disappointing I can only have a couple cichlids...

Sarah73

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Fishkeeping With Andy said:
So I could do my Bristlenose then?
If you get bigger, more aggressive cichlids you can't do a bristle nose. Well you could but you gotta make sure he is full grown or he could be eaten.

BichirKeeper84

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Bandits are a smaller type of Geo. You can keep a lot Of cichlids in a tank that size. But the fact that you want to keep large cichlids is going to limit your overall number. You have to keep in mind that while not always true most of the time the larger the fish the more territory it demands.

As far as BN Plecos go I try not to comment too much about their temperature needs but common belief is that they do better in temperatures no higher than 78°. That being said I believe that most of the BN plecos Are actually mutts of multiple species so nailing down a precise temperature requirement is close to impossible.

Fishkeeping With Andy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ok, what cichlids could I keep a lot of?

BichirKeeper84

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
You should look at some of the smaller Geo species like bandits, tapajos, Bolivian rams, or some of the more peaceful Central Americans like rainbow cichlids. If you could also consider doing a large Group of thoricthys. The limitation with keeping a large number of a particular species of Cichlid is that it reduces the number of different species you can keep.

Fishkeeping With Andy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
How many smaller cichlids could I have?

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
BichirKeeper84 said:
As far as BN Plecos go I try not to comment too much about their temperature needs but common belief is that they do better in temperatures no higher than 78°. That being said I believe that most of the BN plecos Are actually mutts of multiple species so nailing down a precise temperature requirement is close to impossible.
Sounds about right to me! I keep my tank with BN plecos without rams at 78°F for the angelfish. The BN added to my ram and angelfish was kind of an emergency separation. I keep the temp in that tank at 80°F to accommodate a happy medium between the rams and pleco. He is thriving, but that's just him.

It's best to try and match the temp requirements as best as possible obviously if you're still planning. There's so much involved if you want to do it perfectly.

How many smaller cichlids could I have?
Sounds like 3 or 4 types. 3 if it includes a larger cichlid, 4 if they are mostly dwarves.

Fishkeeping With Andy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ok so are there different kinds of the types? If possible I would like different kinds of the types

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok, what about
1 severum
5/6 geos
2 EB acara?

I've seen all these cichlids kept with large tetras.
Say
12 Colombian tetras
1 BN pleco

Ok so are there different kinds of the types? If possible I would like different kinds of the types
Lol kinds of the types. Well, there are different colors of severum, but a group of 5 geos of same type is needed I only know of the EB acara that fits the size.

Fishkeeping With Andy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ok, what if I had like 4 severums, 1 BP 1 Acara and then 5 small geos?

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think 4 severums is a lot for a 5ft tank Better to stick to max 2 IMO

The problem is I think geos are less aggressive than severums, so more of less aggressive cichlid and less of the aggressive.

Fishkeeping With Andy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ok,
2 Severums
1 BP
1 EB Acara
5 Geos
1 Rainbow Cichlid
Maybe 1 more small cichlid?