120 Gallon Stocking???

Fishkeeping With Andy

Ok, I was planning on having a 75 gallon tank, but I just found an amazing deal on a 120 gallon! And my parents are letting me get it! So I was wondering about stocking, I want it to be a community tank. Here are the stats:

Tank: 60 in by 18 in by 24 in

Substrate: Sand

Planted? Yes but no CO2 want low maintenance.

What do you guys suggest?
TIA, Andy

F15FreeEagle

Well what kind of fish do you like? Guppies? Mollys? Neon Tetras? Corys? Any gouramis? Angels? Rainbows? Silver Dollars?

(Do NOT put ALL of these in the same aquarium. Ha.) And do you have any aquariums right now? And what kind of filter(s?) are you planning on getting for this?

I have a 125 gallon. I have mbuna cichlids in mine.

Fishkeeping With Andy

Well, I am thinking of smaller fish, like mollies, cories and dwarf cichlids,

I will be having either eheim, or a fluval canister filter

Also yes I have a 20 gallon with small fish. Do you recommend things like bigger cichlids? They seem kind of interesting

Heres my unofficial stocking list:

8 Neon Tetras
12 Cory Catfish
2 BP
14 mixed platies/mollies/guppies
6-12 Dwarf Cichlids
8 ish KuhlI Leaches

What do you think? Could I go more? Or need to go less?

KuhlI Loaches curse my auto correct!

mollybabes

Rainbows are pretty

F15FreeEagle

If it was my aquarium, I would do some bigger african cichlids, or make angles be my "focal point." But that's just me.

Dycofree

What kind of Dwarf Cichlids? The number you can keep will be determined by your species. I keep a Bolivian Ram pair in my 125 (not just them, lol) and I love them! I think a big school of Rainbowfish mixed with an appropriately chosen dwarf cichlid (temperature varies heavily between say bolivian rams or german blue) would be really nice in a planted tank. Heres a pic of my 125! Stocked with a gold spotted severum, 8 Denison barbs (look into these guys!), 2 Bolivian Rams, 20 Corys (two species of 10) and 2 BN plecos!

Attachments

Fishkeeping With Andy

Nice! Your tank looks awesome! Ya I was thinking either rams or apistos, and could rainbows could be incorporated into that mix?

angelcraze

I have 9 angelfish and 3 rams in my 120 gallon along with other SA fish like tetras and BN pleco. I haven't kept rainbows, but I believe they'd need harder water whereas rams and apistos like soft water. Some colorful tetras would suit the rams nicely though for temp and pH though. Have you seen the columbian tetra or hy511? I always wanted to keep those two schools together. I also want to add a male ram and maybe another female, maybe reduce the angelfish a bit.

A pic of my 120 gallon for more inspiration

20180720_162020.jpg

My tank needs more tetras, I have to restock after a nematode infestation. I also have to regrow these vals at back, it seems like a popular choice to add height scape in a large deep tank.

Fishkeeping With Andy

Ok how about if I did this:

3 Bolivian Rams
1 Angel
1 BP
8 Neons
12 Cories
8 Guppies/Platies
Some KuhlI Loaches

angelcraze

It could work since with only one angelfish, there won't be any breeding aggression. The only thing that was a bit off was the guppys/plattys. I found they were too friendly and innocent to be around breeding angelfish in my tank. also prefer harder water (different water parameters than the other fish you picked). It's not the end of the world if you stick with one angelfish and the livebearers together, since both species can adapt to happy medium parameters.

I honestly think you could add more fish eventually. Don't know if you plan to add more later, but in my opinion, you could do more angelfish easily, and more rams. Now I'm a bit biased, I love angelfish and always end up with a herd in all my large tanks. But if you have enough territory divisions, you could do 4 rams. I find they are better in even numbers to prevent one from being picked on. I have 3 female GBRs right now in that tank and I plan to add more. FYI I never add just one cichlid. It's best they are kept alone as you plan, or grow up together, or at least two at a time (also to prevent one newbie from being picked on). Just wanted to let you know so you can plan better.

Fishkeeping With Andy

Well the problem is already have some platies and guppies. Also yes I was planning to add more fish later.

Could I possibly get like a stocking lost or two from you guys? With the fish on my list and/or more fish with same parameters.

Btw thank you everyone for the help!

angelcraze

No worries I love to do this lol.

1 (or more haha) angelfish
4 Bolivian rams
1 BN pleco
10-15 neon tetras
8-10 (another species of tetras)
12 cories
KuhlI loaches

is my vote!

Fishkeeping With Andy

Cool! How many more foam do you think I could add before the tank becomes "overstocked"

angelcraze

Well I give each angelfish and pleco 10 *gallons* when full grown. 5 gallons for each ram. 1 gallon per inch of the tetra, cories and loaches.

*I had to edit oops

Fishkeeping With Andy

Gaaah!!!!! I meant fish! I hate my auto correct!!!!! Alright because I wanna have lots of fish without having it be overstocked, so maybe I could do just 1 angel?

angelcraze

Good idea then. You could get lots of tetras, there's so many types. The thing to keep in mind with them is they like big schools of the same types. For small tetras like neons, I would do no less than 10, more like 15. For bigger tetras, I like groups of absolute minimum of 6. 8-10 is a good number imo. For that size of tank, you have lots of room for shoaling fish. Other options maybe are hatchetfish and pencil fish. The hatchet and pencilfish I would also give 1 gallon per inch of fish.

Also FYI, some ppl noticed angelfish going for small pencil shaped tetras like neons, like eating them, but IME, an angelfish that grows up with smaller fish never regards it as food.

Fishkeeping With Andy

So my best bet for angels would be young ones? I may try to have like 3, would they fight if there was 3? Cichlids are still a relatively new thing to me

Dycofree

Fishkeeping With Andy said:
So my best bet for angels would be young ones? I may try to have like 3, would they fight if there was 3? Cichlids are still a relatively new thing to me
I would definitely recommend getting any cichlid you get as juveniles if you can. First and foremost, its much more fun to watch them grow over time and form a bond with them. Secondly, as mentioned previously, it helps with aggression later on if theyre used to the fish as juveniles. Platinum Angelfish are my favorite if you're sold on getting Angels. Really great color in groups!

BottomDweller

I would do something like this
1, 2 or 4 angelfish (watch for aggression)
2-4 german blue rams, gold rams or electric blue rams
20 cardinal tetras or rummy nose tetras
20 harlequin rasboras or cherry barbs
15 sterbaI cories or bronze cories
15-20 kuhlI loaches
1 clown pleco

angelcraze said:
No worries I love to do this lol.

1 (or more haha) angelfish
4 Bolivian rams
1 BN pleco
10-15 neon tetras
8-10 (another species of tetras)
12 cories
KuhlI loaches

is my vote!
Neon tetras need 75f or below while angelfish need 78f or above. Along with the fact that adult angels will eat neons.
Bristlenose plecos also need cooler water than angels. Bolivian rams have very little temperature overlap, german blue rans would be better.

3 is a bad number for angels. Any other number is usually fine but with 3 angels 2 will usually pair up and bully the other- sometimes to death.

Fishkeeping With Andy

Ok so for a big tank is it better to just have a few groups of lots of fish? Or lots of groups of some fish? I already have some fish that I was planning on adding to the 120, but most of them won't seem to work,

Current stock:

6 guppies
2 platies
1 ABP
6 Neons

BottomDweller

With schooling fish it is always best just to have a few large schools rather than lots of little schools. Non schooling fish like guppies and platies don't care though.

Fishkeeping With Andy

Ok, but my platies and guppies wouldn't work with the stocking list to suggested? I really am thinking about something like that,

BottomDweller

I don't think so. 78f is too warm for platies and I don't think guppies would get along well with an angel.

Fishkeeping With Andy

Oh, I keep them in 78 right now.......Also yes I see what you mean about the guppies they are pretty small and might nip the fins,

angelcraze

Livebearers are just too friendly and gentle to understand to get out of the angelfish's way. Along with the fact that they like the water cooler and hardness higher.

Keep in mind bolivian rams are cichlids too. Even numbers or alone works best with cichlids.

Fishkeeping With Andy

Ok, so it might be best to sell the guppies/platies and Neons?

angelcraze

I find the neon tetras are ok with angelfish as long as they grow up with them. I'd just increase the school to 15 or more. If the angelfish go for the tetras when they grow older, then you might have to keep a min medium sized tetra instead at that point, but generally they are ok IME.

Oh yes, adult tetras with angelfish!

Fishkeeping With Andy

Ok is it possible I could add the neon school to the list with the other tetras? I don't want to overstock,

angelcraze

Here is a stocking calculator to help you

I give each angelfish and pleco 10 gallons, rams 5 gallons, then a gallon per inch of schooling fish.

This is my own rough guide for stocking the fish your interested in:
1 angelfish takes up 10 gallons
4 rams take up 20 gallons
15 neons take up 22.5 gallons
15 cories take up 30 gallons
10 larger tetras take up 25 gallons
10 loaches take up 25 gallons

But the calculator takes filtration and any stocking contradictions into account.

Fishkeeping With Andy

Ok so this is my new stocking plan:
4 Dwarf Cichlids
2 Angelfish
20 Non nippy barbs
15 Neons
12 Mixed Cories
15 KuhlI Loaches

How does this look? Would they all be compatible and such? Should I go more on the schools? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks everyone for helping me! Big tanks are still new, and so are lots of different fish. This is definitely my favorite fish forum!

BottomDweller

Ok so this is my new stocking plan:
4 Dwarf Cichlids
2 Angelfish
20 Non nippy barbs
15 Neons
12 Mixed Cories
15 KuhlI Loaches

How does this look? Would they all be compatible and such? Should I go more on the schools? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks everyone for helping me! Big tanks are still new, and so are lots of different fish. This is definitely my favorite fish forum!
German blue rams would work well for the dwarf cichlids.
Cherry barbs would be good.
Neons need much cooler water than the rest of the stock and will be eaten by the angels.
Don't mix cories. Different types don't school together properly. If you want a mix then you can mix bronze cories with albino aeneus cories since they are the same fish just different colours.

Fishkeeping With Andy

Ok, is there a different tetra that would work better? Congo Tetras seem to interest me, but I don't know if they would work, is the ph too low?

BottomDweller

Congo tetras, cardinal tetras, rummynose tetras, diamond tetras or emporer tetras would all work.

Fishkeeping With Andy

Ok, so how about this:

4 German Rams
2 Angelfish
20 Cherry Barbs
16 Congo Tetras
12 Kuhlis
6 Albino Cories
6 Bronze Cories

Also there was another question I had about sand, how often do you need to stir it to prevent nitrogen bubbles? Or is there a fish that stirs it pretty well?

BottomDweller

With the kuhlis you shouldn't have to worry about gas bubbles. They should do a good job of stirring it up. It's really only an issue when you have a pretty deep layer of sand anyway.

Fishkeeping With Andy

Ok that's a relief. What do you think of my stocking plan? More tetras? Less Tetras? I want it to be full but not overstocked

BottomDweller

That should be fine. I think you should start with that stocking and then once everyone is in and settled if the tank doesn't look full enough then add some more tetras.

Fishkeeping With Andy

Ok my last question was my ABP. Would he work in the tank? Or are the phs too different?

BichirKeeper84

What is an abp?

I would also suggest increasing the number of kuhlis if this is more than a 4 ft tank. They do better in larger numbers

BottomDweller

Ok my last question was my ABP. Would he work in the tank? Or are the phs too different?
What is an ABP?

Top Bottom