120 Gallon Stocking Suggestions

1. The Moss Man Initiate Member

Right now life is good as I just came into possession of my very own 120 gallon aquarium! However I'd like to keep things going this way by stocking it right the first time so I've decided to tap into your vast collective experience!. I won't be able to set it up for a while so I only have a very vague plan outlined at the moment. As it stands right now the only things that are set in stone are that it is going to be planted and needs to be relatively low maintenance. So far I'm leaning towards a tank that has an appreciable dojo/weather loach content so it will probably be a bit cooler, probably low to mid 70s F. However, dojo loaches or not, I'd still prefer a more "interesting" tank if it can be done. With these incredibly vague guidelines, how would you set up this tank? I'm open to all sorts of suggestions so feel free to give me any set up you think would properly honor the glory of a 120 gallon.

2. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

IF you like dojo's... consider a goldfish tank. Until recently i thought goldfish werent worthwhile, but people here and my LFS have turned me. They are very personable and active and DEFINETELY make an intersting tank to watch. They dont do well with plants though.

Otherwise, there are too many options to list :) 120g is a nice tank size and will serve well in having close to anything you want in there, minus the few outliers :)

If i were you, i would look at a FAMILY of fish that interests you. Mine were rainbowfish when i got my 110g... From there we can help you find a great stock...

3. cameronpalte Member Member

Very jealous of your 120g:)... I only got 1(55):). I will not go into the details of setting up a tank, cycling all that, their are hundreds of guides for that here. I will just tell you what I would put in a tank that size. Other members feel free to correct my suggestions

4(bala shark)
    15(neon tetra)
    2(dojo loach)
    7(glowlight tetra)
    3(sunburst platy)
    9(guppy)
    1(beta)- solitary, 1= max
    4(tiger barb)
    2(goldfish)
    13(red cherry shrimp)
    4(bottle nose pleco)
    8(ghost shrimp)

This is for starters, I'm sure other members have suggestions, or may want to change this. A side note is there are no very low maintenence 120 gallon acquariums. Filling it up will be tough, and you will need to do weekly 10 gallon water changes ect. It will also not be very cheap:).

4. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

A 120 is usually only 5 feet long.

Balas - too small of a tank
    dojos - need to be kept in a group
    Tiger barbs - need way more than 4, and should not be kept with long fined or slow swimming fish, such as the betta and goldfish you suggested. They really don't fit into that list at all.
    Bottle nose pleco - You mean bristle nose pleco?

Good maintenance is doing more than a weekly 10 gallon water change on a 120. That's less than 10%.

5. jbdub Member Member

I saw a well planted 55g tank filled purely with mature rainbow fish. Have to say it looked amazing

6. Squirtle =) Member Member

Yup! too many people dont understand how big Bala really get + they have to be schooled I personally find they need to be in a group of at least 6 for the best outcome then a 180G even seems small for them but bare min imho.

Have to disagree with the barbs, I find its 50/50 if you have a decent amount they will fight amongst one another and tend to leave other fish alone I had a school of 40 with some angels and gold gouris with no issues, I have read about it working with others but have also heard of them destroying other fish its a bit like mixing American cichlids to sum it up!

I cant really give a stock off what your after but I would go for a classic mix of bottom,middle and top fish seeing as its more of a display tank I take it, or go down the cichlid road more me you have a few choices but then your looking at more 1-2 fish without any loaches else you go with clowns but you would have to out them in a few years as they also get large, Id suggest looking over the fish profiles etc and finding what you like then making a mix posting it and people can go from there.

7. cameronpalte Member Member

Updated Post:

15(neon tetra)
    4(dojo loach)
    7(glowlight tetra)
    3(sunburst platy)
    9(guppy)
    8(tiger barb)
    14(red cherry shrimp)
    4(bottle nose pleco)
    8(ghost shrimp)

This is for starters, I'm sure other members have suggestions, or may want to change this. A side note is there are no very low maintenence 120 gallon acquariums. Filling it up will be tough, and you will need to do weekly 12-20 gallon water changes ect. It will also not be very cheap.

8. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

I dont mean to point anything out, but please research the fish you suggest to others if you are not familiar with them. Bala's really wont work in a 120g. And 2 groups of livebearers will soon overrun the tank with fry. Theres nothing wrong with this but it needs to be pointed out so that the OP understands the workings of this suggestion.

9. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

Why are you re-posting things? weekly 12 - 20 gallon changes isnt nearly enough, filling it up wont be tough if you go about it correctly, and it doesnt have to be expensive. What are you referring to that will be expensive?

10. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

You disagree about keeping tiger barbs with a betta and goldfish? IME fish that are even remotely nippy will go after a goldfish's tail, nd bettas are slow moving targets. I agree that they can be kept in community tanks without being a menace to other fish. My school had dwindled to 4, and yet they still did not bother any other fish. But goldfish and betta - that's a reeeeeeally low percentage combo, and IMO mixing tiger barbs into a community tank is something for someone with more experience.

I told him in another thread to repost, rather than editing previous posts - editing posts after people have commented on it messes up the continuity of the thread and makes people look like they are stupid and can't read.

Water changes should be at least 40 gallons and 60-80 gallons (or more) when the tank is stocked.

11. Squirtle =) Member Member

Like I said I found it hit and miss I never saw one fish get nipped on but I do admit I never tried with bettas or goldfish so I could be awfully wrong. All I was saying given the space and a good schooling number I find tigers are not as bad as everyone makes them out to be at times. Maybe it is best to give them a miss on this tank, if you dont have anywhere to rehouse them could cause more issues then good.

12. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I agree, they are not as bad as they are made out to be, because many times the worst stories are of fish kept in the most inappropriate conditions. The biggest problem I had with them was killing each other, not other fish. I've recently given up on them.

13. The Moss Man Initiate Member

Alright a little update. I originally thought it was a 120 long but upon closer inspection it turns out to be a 125! Also the more I think about it the more I want a sump. I plan on setting it up myself but as of yet this will be the very first sump I've ever personally dealt with. What size would you recommend or is there anything else I should bring into consideration?

I am aware that the low maintenance 120 is mostly a mythological beast few have witnessed, but I plan on trying my best to minimize the work required to keep it from falling apart. This means I have to force myself with all of my willpower to keep this tank reasonably under stocked so trying to stretch the limits is out of the question. I'm also a bit more dead set on having dojo loaches as they fit my most important criteria of being a peaceful and hard to kill fish full of personality. All that being said, now what would you propose as their best tankmates?

14. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

Okay i understand... just seems a bit robotic and programme like

Agreed. They will be fine most of the time given space, but come the time when the swimming spaces collide, that is presumably when things wont be okay.

Thats great to hear. Sumps are a great filtration system, especially if you're looking for a low maintenance. Getting back on the maintenance side of things. With additions of current and great filtration, maintenance will be a breeze. On my 110g and my 55g, i simply pump out water once a week (no vacuuming) and pump some new water in. Dose with prime and then that's it. That is 3 months of maintenance all you have to do is change water. Filter maintenance is rare and with a sump, it will involve the following:

1. Removing prefilter pad
    2. Rinsing Prefilter pad
    3. Putting prefilter pad back in place
    4. Do this once a week.

Thats it ;D Hence why i love sumps and canisters

As for your stock, again i say look at families of fish and give us a guide as to what you like.

On a side note. With the best possible filtration, which IMO is a sump, bioload becomes irrelevant because your filter can handle it. I know my sump on my 110g will handle the bioload of a 500g tank if i wanted it to, because it has so much media volume to cope with the bioload. Because of this, swimming space is the thing to guide you when choosing stock on a tank with more than adequate filtration

15. Squirtle =) Member Member

if you really do want 0 maintenance there are ways to archive this, I am talking auto water changes etc it can be done I have read about people who have this setup but never in depth its nothing that amazes me as I enjoy the building part of the hobby too much and cleaning tends to spring new ideas to mind more diy = happy me= happy fish!

I cant suggest much on the stock!

Sumps a great choice Pretty happy with them, one did crack but its might fault for not checking its sitting flat!!! you really dont have to do much with them like Izao said and they work much better then most other filters once setup right! One thing I would suggest seeing as its a display tank, aim to get a cover internal overflow box so its not see threw! I really wish I paid the extra for these looking at pipes it not as fun as I originally thought.

Best of luck look forward to seeing the final outcome ^_^

16. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

basics squirtle :;smack... ;D

Anyway, if low maintenance is you goal, and budget permitting... sumps all the way

17. Squirtle =) Member Member

Have to disagree :) there are simple methods I have done some reading into this.

I Would set up a vermiponic system, just youtube it and u can have a look, its not hard at all and cheap if you have the tools, this will allow 0 water changes to be required and very healthy water best of both world. Id say its as hard as building a sump for example.

18. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

Thats really cool how the vermiponics work, but no... i wouldnt be able to do that sort of thing...