120 Gallon Stocking Questions Question

Discussion in 'Saltwater Aquarium Stocking' started by N8_the_Gr8, Apr 22, 2018.

1. N8_the_Gr8Valued MemberMember

I recently set up a 120 gallon tank and am planning to add some lps and intermediate sps corals like Montipora and maybe eventually an anemone. Here are my ideas. For sure I will get:

1 Algae blenny
    at least 3 blue green chromis
    1 Flame angel

First question, can you keep a kole, chevron, and a yellow tang together? If not, I’ll just pick one.

Number two, I was wondering which one would better be suited for a reef aquarium, a Hawaiian spotted Toby or a blue throat trigger?

2. JesterraceWell Known MemberMember

I'd skip the Chromis lots of them seem to have disease as of late and they are hit and miss for killing each other off. As for the Tang, I would say probably not for the mix. Tangs don't care much for each other and a 120 is on the smaller side for tangs. I would pick one of the list you mentioned and go with them. Personally though I would skip the Cheveron Tang as it is pricey and although they look great as Juvies, they take on a more drab appearance as they become adults. Also be aware that Flame Angels though stunning can be aggressive buttheads to tank mates, although in a 120 it will probably be better. I had one for a few weeks in my 36 gallon and he was a terror to his tank mates:

You might want to look at the coral beauty dwarf angel as they tend to be less aggressive. Lots of people who have had success with Flame Angels, but there are just as many who have had to return them due to aggression and coral nipping (myself included). As for the Toby vs Blue Throat Trigger? I would go with the Blue Throat as more people have reported success with them in reefs and Toby have the potential to poison your tank if stressed.

3. N8_the_Gr8Valued MemberMember

Thanks for the input. I will wait a bit for chromis to see if the situations get better. As of the flame angels, I will have to think about it. I have heard of people keeping Kole and a yellow together successfully very frequently. I will consider the trigger. I am unsure whether or not it’s size is appropriate for a 120. I will consider a coral beauty.

4. N8_the_Gr8Valued MemberMember

I feel like the blue throat trigger might keep the flame in line. It seems like a 80 gallon or more would be better for a flame angel. I wouldn’t ever keep one in a 36.

5. JesterraceWell Known MemberMember

Generally a 70 gallon or more is recommended for any Dwarf Angel. The trigger definitely could keep the Flame in line, but the question is that with such a massive size disparity will anything keep it from getting too big for it's britches. A Kole and a Yellow could work but they will definitely take up a good chunk of real estate in a standard 120 (The Yellow maxes out at around 8 inches and the Kole at 7-8 inches).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice