120 Gallon Setup From Scratch

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by jjobe, Apr 18, 2018.

1. j

jjobe New Member Member

Backstory: I have been running a 10 gallon tank since August. It has an old HOB filter and a Finnex 24/7 light. I initially bought 4 swordtails (3 female, one male) a pleco, African dwarf frog, and a mystery snail. There is a bunch of java moss, christmas moss, and hornwort growing like crazy. I've thrown away more plant material than I purchased

Losses: The pleco died while heat treating for ich. One female swordtail and the frog died abruptly over the months. The mystery snail died, as did its replacement.

Victories: The swordtails have bred like mad. I have moved 15 of their babies to a larger tank at my work and many are still hanging around in the 10 gallon. They are hard to catch. A racer snail is doing great where the mystery snails did not.

I have decided to upgrade to the largest tank my space can accommodate, so I am now the proud owner of a 120 gallon 48 x 24 x 24. I am looking for suggestions on how to set things up now. I want to continue with low to medium maintenance fish and plants, but with more biodiversity of flora and fauna.

Substrate: Right now I'm leaning towards Eco Complete. I want to buy it in person so I can check for expiration dates and packaging integrity. Possibly blending/covering with black sand.

Lighting: I'm very happy with the Finnex 24/7, so I'm planning to get the 24/7 CC for this tank.

Filtration: I am leaning toward the Fluval FX6, but I'm also interested in an in-line heater, and the diameter doesn't necessarily work well with the FX6.

I would like some large rocks and/or wood as a centerpiece, tall plants in the back, getting shorter as we move forward. Possibly a plant carpet over the substrate, but I don't want to do CO2 injection.

I am open to suggestions on all fronts. Are there things I am missing or failed to consider?

2. Bry

Bry Valued Member Member

To me it sounds like a good plan. I will say your 10 gallon was very overstocked, which is probably why some were mysteriously dying. But the new tank sounds awesome. My favorite plant that I have is Anachris Eloea, I think is how it's spelt. Super easy to have, doesn't require CO2 and grows quickly. I have some in all four of my tanks.

3. Bigfella

Bigfella Valued Member Member

Can't go wrong with rainbow fish in a planted 120g, colorful and active.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice