120 Gallon Planted Discus Tank

angelcraze
I like the roots on those plants, they look good crawling on the rock. Actually that rock looks like it was made for the anubias

RollaPear
I like the roots on those plants, they look good crawling on the rock. Actually that rock looks like it was made for the anubias

That was my thinking when I saw it. I use fluval glue to hold it in place but the thing with that product is that it shows up bright white once in the aquarium. The deep groves do help to hide it and make it more natural.

angelcraze I saw your angel picture in the contest thread. Truly stunning stuff angel.

RollaPear
Since starting with this species I've spent a lot of time on discus forums. And it's no secret that planted tanks are pretty much a frowned on environment for discus. So it feels almost taboo going back a planted setup. At this temp there is a lot of trial and error so much so that I have no idea what this plants is? I mean, I know it is a crypt but I'm not sure of the strain.

LXrMAWZ.jpg

Also this rotala appears to be adapting. I wanted it to stay red but the fact that's actually growing and using unwanted nutrients is more important that the amount of iron it consumes.

aq0yhnW.jpg

Also the neons

rNvG8mM.jpg

RollaPear
SterbaI having a scrum over the pellet. THey were so small when I bought them but they've put on a lot more weight recently. The largest likes sitting on Scarlett/Scarr's (I'm not sure of the sex) head.

Amazoniantanklvr
WOW. Looks good,

RollaPear
86 ssinit
Cory’s look great and so does the tank and discus. Is the tank acrylic? Are the corners rounded?

Addictedtobettas
I'm pretty bad at full tank shots but

View attachment 677319

Those cory cats are so mischievous lol and thanks.
Gorgeous!!

I was tempted by a nearby lfs 125g discus setup and they’ve planted as well. I think it’s a nice combination.

RollaPear
Hey everyone

Cory’s look great and so does the tank and discus. Is the tank acrylic? Are the corners rounded?

Cory cats are doing well, thankfully. When I bought them they were barely juvies and the discus did try to eat them but they've grown quite a bit since. Tank is all glass with a sturdy plastic brace.

151 X 51 x 66 cm

It was the first item I bought after moving in.

PoLoNyz.jpg

Gorgeous!!

I was tempted by a nearby lfs 125 gallon discus setup and they’ve planted as well. I think it’s a nice combination.

Sounds like a dream to me. Plants that the discus are use to in a large setup is an ideal for me. Anything I add to the tank they treat with a intense suspicion. They'll attack my hand if I put it in the tank but a new plant is something they'll circle around for a while before they feel comfortable. I have to cut the Vals back and allow them to grow in otherwise the discus lose their minds

This is how they're shipped to me, fully grown.

sao6eiD.jpg

Addictedtobettas
Hey everyone

Cory cats are doing well, thankfully. When I bought them they were barely juvies and the discus did try to eat them but they've grown quite a bit since. Tank is all glass with a sturdy plastic brace.

151 X 51 x 66 cm

It was the first item I bought after moving in.

View attachment 677376

Sounds like a dream to me. Plants that the discus are use to in a large setup is an ideal for me. Anything I add to the tank they treat with a intense suspicion. They'll attack my hand if I put it in the tank but a new plant is something they'll circle around for a while before they feel comfortable. I have to cut the Vals back and allow them to grow in otherwise the discus lose their minds

This is how they're shipped to me, fully grown.

View attachment 677377

Are they all that way? Suspicious.

I found the picture from a few months back. It’s not the full tank but still lovely to dream about.
151E9020-ACB9-4C42-AA6C-39F076A2EBB4.jpeg

RollaPear
Are they all that way? Suspicious.

I found the picture from a few months back. It’s not the full tank but still lovely to dream about.View attachment 677392

This is gorgeous.

Immediately I'm trying to ID the plants and work out the number of gal. As for nervousness, no. Not really. More so cautions of new additions. When I completely recapped the tank and they sulked for a while, only venturing out to eat. I had to cut back all the val and remove the rocks and slowly over time build the scape up to the FTS I posted above

Now they're back to working out the pecking order and spawning.

Side Note: I discovered a weird dance/display they do that I haven't heard anyone talk about or seen on video/youtube. But perhaps I'm searching not knowing the name of this specific display. I caught a few instances on video. I'm thinking now with the apocalypse on the horizon I might need to seup a youtube channel since I'm working from home for the foreseeable future.

Addictedtobettas
This is gorgeous.

Immediately I'm trying to ID the plants and work out the number of gal. As for nervousness, no. Not really. More so cautions of new additions. When I completely recapped the tank and they sulked for a while, only venturing out to eat. I had to cut back all the val and remove the rocks and slowly over time build the scape up to the FTS I posted above

Now they're back to working out the pecking order and spawning.

Side Note: I discovered a weird dance/display they do that I haven't heard anyone talk about or seen on video/youtube. But perhaps I'm searching not knowing the name of this specific display. I caught a few instances on video. I'm thinking now with the apocalypse on the horizon I might need to seup a youtube channel since I'm working from home for the foreseeable future.

I think that would be great to watch. Probably quite a few folks here would enjoy that. We’re all in the same boat for the most part.

Ahh good to know about the cautiousness. I really fell in love with the tanks and discus there but they said they weren’t for sale and I was just setting up the 45g which was made very clear to me would be too small even for the juveniles they had on sale.
I appreciated the clarity on that one for sure.

Definite future #tankgoals.

RollaPear
Black neons deep in some type of conversation about the cory cats constantly swimming at speed through the school. Interesting note... I actually thought I had 40 black neons turns out I'm closer to 50?!

WbWdp10.jpg

Discus always looking at them like "I promise you. One of these days!!!"

9Cm1qSF.jpg

Vid of the conversation in motion. Specs are CO2 bubbles.

Close up.

XcJlerP.jpg

86 ssinit
Nice neons! Hey didn’t you get discus? Lol

RollaPear
jmaldo
RollaPear
Beautiful! Went to the LFS, just picking up some frozen foods. But.. some how a dozen "Black Neons" along with 6 Amanos came home with me. In QT for at least a few weeks.
Spoke with the owner "Dave "Great Guy". He mentioned the Asian suppliers have cancelled orders. Asked if I had any EBAs or Rams, just had a spawn of 3-4 dozen EBA fry and eggs galore with the Rams. He said he wants dibs. Maybe by the end of summer.
Time will tell.

RollaPear
RollaPear
Beautiful! Went to the LFS, just picking up some frozen foods. But.. some how a dozen "Black Neons" along with 6 Amanos came home with me. In QT for at least a few weeks.
Spoke with the owner "Dave "Great Guy". He mentioned the Asian suppliers have cancelled orders. Asked if I had any EBAs or Rams, just had a spawn of 3-4 dozen EBA fry and eggs galore with the Rams. He said he wants dibs. Maybe by the end of summer.
Time will tell.

Thanks jmaldo And congrats on the fry!

Obviously I'm a little biased towards the black neons but I think they'll look great. I can't wait to see them in your setup. Their spawning dance/fight looks super complicated once it gets started.

That aside, I think with what's going on in the world right now, this hobby of ours is being impacted in terms of supply. So what Dave in Ohio is going through seems to be universal. I have a shrimp order that has gotten lost in transport due to the logistical nightmare the UK is facing. But obviously there are much bigger challenges we're all facing.

That's a gnarly tank!

I call 86 ssinit aquarium "The style and grace tank!"

H Farnsworth
Your tank is amazing

RollaPear
H Farnsworth
I say what I think. Keep it up

RollaPear
I will try to add a video sometime in the near future H Farnsworth so you can see it in motion.

RollaPear
My water change process

Gew6LPh.jpg

oarihi2.jpg

ybVavJv.jpg

RollaPear
I have a bit of a dilemma...

I ordered some crystal reds a while ago but due to world events the seller which I trust said there were some supply issues. Due to his reputation and the fact that I've ordered from him multiple times over the years I didn't cancel my order. And told them to ship when they get the shrimp in. That was before the lockdown and today I got the order which I had completely forgotten about, delivered.

The problem is that the aquarium they were supposed to go into is still occupied. So now I have them in a 5L container.

NIkSXBY.jpg

H Farnsworth
Just keep it warm and aerated

RollaPear
Just keep it warm and aerated

I'm keeping it warm by keeping it on top of my discus tank. The aerated part is the issue. My bubblemaker isn't adjustable and creates a contained tsunami if placed into the 5L container. Even if I place the outlet at the surface the flow it creates is still too strong. I'm thinking partial 1L water changes might be the way forward.

H Farnsworth
Then just change the water every day 75%

RollaPear
I had two ludwigia species shipped to me. Like the Red bee shrimp it was delayed and as I write this I have forgotten the species name and had to look them up to be certain. Ludwigia Repens and Ludwigia Palustris.

When they first went in both looked as you'd expect for a plant that has gone through post/transit.

2wbKx2b.jpg

And while the repens is slowly going through the adjustment period the Palustris has started to show new growth.

ashMygp.jpg

jake37
Why not get a $10 air pump and an airstone ? Better yet a tiny sponge filter.

I'm keeping it warm by keeping it on top of my discus tank. The aerated part is the issue. My bubblemaker isn't adjustable and creates a contained tsunami if placed into the 5L container. Even if I place the outlet at the surface the flow it creates is still too strong. I'm thinking partial 1L water changes might be the way forward.

RollaPear
Why not get a $10 air pump and an airstone ? Better yet a tiny sponge filter.

Hey jake37 I appreciate the advice.

Unfortunately logistics here are a little haywire here. Even amazon is prioritizing deliveries to support the broader fight. I ordered a small 50L aquarium with heater and internal filter. Hopefully it arrives soon.

RollaPear
The repens have had a burst of new growth over the past 24 hours. I'm so excited that I have some new options at discus temps 28C / 83F

5XESbJh.jpg

nrzwnya.jpg

Debbie1986 I appreciate it. And more importantly, hope this provided some distraction during these uncertain times.

86 ssinit
Ok a few things. Just want to let you know that I use the sponge filter I put up earlier but I also use the fx6 on that tank. With a planted tank its still clean water that rules. But with dying leaves and muck accumulating around the base of the plants I want as much filtration as possible. I’m happy with my filtration . I also have a sponge on the intake of the fx6. All sponges get cleaned at every water change. Fx6 is going to go for 2 months this time.
Next are you planning to breed discus? And the shrimp are they another project? I also keep shrimp. I have a shrimp colony in my discus tank .

RollaPear
Ok a few things. Just want to let you know that I use the sponge filter I put up earlier but I also use the fx6 on that tank. With a planted tank its still clean water that rules. But with dying leaves and muck accumulating around the base of the plants I want as much filtration as possible. I’m happy with my filtration . I also have a sponge on the intake of the fx6. All sponges get cleaned at every water change. Fx6 is going to go for 2 months this time.
Next are you planning to breed discus? And the shrimp are they another project? I also keep shrimp. I have a shrimp colony in my discus tank .

I use a FX6 filter with pre filter sponges that gets cleaned with every water change. My second filter is an OASE 350
and one third of the media is dedicated to an internal pre filter that removes separately and that gets cleaned once a week. I clean the FX6 once a month and the oase every two months because it doesn't get "visibly" dirty.

As for the plants, the ludwigia is the most leaf litter I've had in the tank but with adequate flow they get trapped by my surface skimmer. As for debris around the plants or in general, I use a powered Fluval pro vac. 2-3 times a week.

In terms of breeding, out of the 7 I have two females and one male. That spawn every 3 weeks or so but the male eats the eggs. I'm hoping one of the other 4 steps up to the plate and behaves differently. But my main focus with this tank is just balancing the parameters with plants... Or should I say, a planted tank "with discus."

If the male starts to fertilize I'll remove him and his favourite female "Bulla" to another tank.

I have a decent amount of courtship footage but haven't put it together yet. Also my camera settings makes the video a little too neon but I'll try and get some of that up soon.

jake37
I have two eheim 2217 on my 120; and while I vacuum dead stuff up twice a week to be honest I think my cory love to play in it. I have sponge filters in the two rear corners and most of the mulch collects around the sponge filters - which makes vacuuming easy. Them lily love to drop leaves at the slightest touch.
-
I don't want to say how often I clean the 2217 'cause I don't want go be scolded; but I will say they are a pia to clean.

RollaPear
There were no stands in stock but the Crystal Reds now have an additional 50+ L to roam around in, heated and oxygenated water via surface tension and a "seeded" filtration system.

TXglxhq.jpg

I have two eheim 2217 on my 120; and while I vacuum dead stuff up twice a week to be honest I think my cory love to play in it. I have sponge filters in the two rear corners and most of the mulch collects around the sponge filters - which makes vacuuming easy. Them lily love to drop leaves at the slightest touch.
-
I don't want to say how often I clean the 2217 'cause I don't want go be scolded; but I will say they are a pia to clean.

Ahh the trusty Eheim. Good filters but if you empty the canister of water they can be a mission to restart. I found that the pumps degraded/slowed in out put over the course of a year.

When I had more traditional planted tank ie a tank not running at 28C I could put whatever I wanted in it and have it thrive. The difficult part back then was balancing light and mixing up the right EI mix/ferts. Discus is a different beast entirely... And a planted discus tank... Well that will get you "scolded" among discus keepers on most discus forums.

Which is why I'm thankful for fishlore.

I kid you not, I was on a discus forum where I was bouncing around ideas for planted tank and got chastised so badly the member got himself banned before I even had a chance to respond.

My initial post, was nothing more than a potential plant list. But hey, we live and learn. At least I hope

jake37
86 ssinit has a really nice planted discus aquarium. I'm not sure how long it has been running but it looks very nice in the pictures. I plan to set one up in 18 months after I move which is why I read these threads.

On the eheim - two things I've learned - I can restore flow to original level by thorough cleaning (including the hoses). Muck does tend to collect in the propeller shaft and exit hole. It took me a while to figure out everywhere that needed cleaning.

For priming I found a neat little trick which makes it pretty easy. FIrst I have to let the filter fill for 10 or so minutes before turning it on; then I have to lower the exit hose (I use a pail) and turn the filter on - after that it runs fine. My biggest complaints are all the nick and cranny that require a complete cleaning to restore flow (I have added prefilters and will see if that helps); and that the media is a pia to remove and put back in for cleaning.
--
I took at look at that OASE 350 and it actually looks like a really nice filter if it doesn't leak. The design seems similar to a nano-30 I use on the 20 long (which works pretty well but is pricey for a small filter).
-
To be honest I'm really happy with the 20 long and how it has filled out. The 120 has a problem with too many plants and misplaced plants. The growth has turned into a forest - I really should trim it down but keep thinking I should wait till I move to rip it up. This is the 120 (not a great picture because it doesn't show plants accurately 3d (there is a clout in the right front that blocks the open area behind it). To be honest I could throw away some of the java fern - there are 4 or 5 rather large ones and each time they break free I push them into the front which adds to the clutterness in the right front corner:

1.jpg

Ahh the trusty Eheim. Good filters but if you empty the canister of water they can be a mission to restart. I found that the pumps degraded/slowed in out put over the course of a year.

When I had more traditional planted tank ie a tank not running at 28C I could put whatever I wanted in it and have it thrive. The difficult part back then was balancing light and mixing up the right EI mix/ferts. Discus is a different beast entirely... And a planted discus tank... Well that will get you "scolded" among discus keepers on most discus forums.

Which is why I'm thankful for fishlore.

I kid you not, I was on a discus forum where I was bouncing around ideas for planted tank and got chastised so badly the member got himself banned before I even had a chance to respond.

My initial post, was nothing more than a potential plant list. But hey, we live and learn. At least I hope

86 ssinit
Thank you Jake. The discus tank has been set up since July. All my tanks are planted. Most of the plants in there came from other tanks.
Yes there is more work to a planted tank but there are ways to make it work. This is a great thread. Nobody complains here everybody is interested in what works and are always looking to help. I also am on other forums and to me they are all stuck on one way. Why have these beautiful fish in a bare tank. What’s the purpose of that. I don’t get it. Seems to me unless your breeding you can go with a decorated tank. It also seems if your tank is bare bottom the fish will breed. My fish have never attempted to breed! I’m am very happy with that. I’m not a breeder I’m a keeper .
My planted tank has mts snails ,rcs,nerites, 10 rams and plants. I’m not popular on other forums . But as of now it’s working and I’m happy with the way it looks.

RollaPear
86 ssinit has a really nice planted discus aquarium. I'm not sure how long it has been running but it looks very nice in the pictures. I plan to set one up in 18 months after I move which is why I read these threads.

On the eheim - two things I've learned - I can restore flow to original level by thorough cleaning (including the hoses). Muck does tend to collect in the propeller shaft and exit hole. It took me a while to figure out everywhere that needed cleaning.

For priming I found a neat little trick which makes it pretty easy. FIrst I have to let the filter fill for 10 or so minutes before turning it on; then I have to lower the exit hose (I use a pail) and turn the filter on - after that it runs fine. My biggest complaints are all the nick and cranny that require a complete cleaning to restore flow (I have added prefilters and will see if that helps); and that the media is a pia to remove and put back in for cleaning.
--
I took at look at that OASE 350 and it actually looks like a really nice filter if it doesn't leak. The design seems similar to a nano-30 I use on the 20 long (which works pretty well but is pricey for a small filter).
-
To be honest I'm really happy with the 20 long and how it has filled out. The 120 has a problem with too many plants and misplaced plants. The growth has turned into a forest - I really should trim it down but keep thinking I should wait till I move to rip it up. This is the 120 (not a great picture because it doesn't show plants accurately 3d (there is a clout in the right front that blocks the open area behind it). To be honest I could throw away some of the java fern - there are 4 or 5 rather large ones and each time they break free I push them into the front which adds to the clutterness in the right front corner:
View attachment 681530

Firstly that's a great tank and FTS. I'm kinda, well actually really bad at FTS so I appreciate you posting here. I will try and get a FTS myself later.

86 and jmaldo have really good discus threads. As well as others. 86 ssinit actually saved me hundreds of pounds with some calming advice not so long ago. I always read through them whenever they update. I'd take the time to read through them if your considering discus.

You seem to have a a great handle on the equipment. In terms of cleaning I think the FX6 is the "easiest" but that's semantics I guess. Most important advice would be the prefilters.

Thank you Jake. The discus tank has been set up since July. All my tanks are planted. Most of the plants in there came from other tanks.
Yes there is more work to a planted tank but there are ways to make it work. This is a great thread. Nobody complains here everybody is interested in what works and are always looking to help. I also am on other forums and to me they are all stuck on one way. Why have these beautiful fish in a bare tank. What’s the purpose of that. I don’t get it. Seems to me unless your breeding you can go with a decorated tank. It also seems if your tank is bare bottom the fish will breed. My fish have never attempted to breed! I’m am very happy with that. I’m not a breeder I’m a keeper .
My planted tank has mts snails ,rcs,nerites, 10 rams and plants. I’m not popular on other forums . But as of now it’s working and I’m happy with the way it looks.

Preach! My discus keeping brethern. Preach!

While I do read through them, I rarely post on discus forums. For me, I feel like as long as I'm sticking to the science, I'm happy to navigate my way through the conundrum that discus keeping can be without the insults. My water parameters today are night and day in comparison with my previous build. And considering how bad my water parameters are to begin with I'm happy I have a better handle on things.

RollaPear
FTS

mH395h8.jpg

Ludwigia on the left.

86 ssinit
Ok I’m lost and this is probably stupid but what is FTS?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
DiscusFinatic
Replies
Views
angelcraze
Replies
Views
BellatheBetta
Replies
Views