120 Gallon Low Tech Planted

Discussion in 'Plant CO2' started by Vichu, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Vichu

Vichu Valued Member Member

Hi Guys,
    Here are the list of my plants in 120 Gallon
    -Val Spiralis
    -Amazon Sword
    -Dwarf Lilly
    -Sagitaria Subulata(Here and there totally 10)
    -Hydrocotile Verticilata
    -Cardamine Lyrata
    -Hydrophilia Stricta
    -Potomegaton Gayi
    -Echinodorus Chardifolius

Substrate(Fluval Startum and Platinum Soil Mixed)
    Planning to put the top layer after three months with Ec0-Complete.
    Light (2*T5 Fluorescent Bulbs) will glow them in the early morning and in the evening totally upto 8hours a day!

Currently using Fluorish excel twice a week(6 to 8ml
    ) for a week.

Do I need CO2 Injection as most of my plants are doing good except my Val.
    I read they are sensitive to Excel.
    My plants are looking fine even without CO2 now and I could see roots and new leaves are emerging.
    Give me a Good shot on Fluorish TM as well.

Note:I chose plants which doesn't need CO2 injection while purchasing them and I made my substrate and Light Strong enough to serve.

2. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

Excel will kill vals, but it needs to be dosed everyday for full effects because it only last for 24 hours.
    If your plants are doing good, CO2 injection isn't necessary.

3. OP
    OP
    Vichu

Can the co2 be harvested from fishes that I keep ,I have this doubt for long time?

4. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

Fish won't produce enough CO2 to really make much of a difference.

5. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Vals can be acclimated to Excel use - you start with small doses of excel daily and work your way up to the full dose over a few weeks/months. However, it's not necessary for you to use Excel.

Why are you adding Ecocomplete after 3 months?

Have you already added the Fluval Stratum and Platinum soil? If not, it's going to be very expensive for such a large tank. Dirt with a gravel/sand cap, all Ecocomplete, or sand with root tabs would be much cheaper (and fine for your low tech, low light plants).

6. OP
    OP
    Vichu

Hey mate @TexasDomer I was expecting you and you are on time ,Yes I do already have both of them in my tank which actually consumed 25% of money what I spent for my tank.
    As it is my dream tank no way I want to compromise with the substrate and need them long lasting.
    Any other advice on using ferts or not to use for this setups are most welcome mate.
    Even though am keeping aquarium for past 17yrs I know much about fishes when compared with plants.

7. TexasDomer

If you start noticing some deficiencies, you may want to dose dry ferts (cheaper than liquid ferts) for macros and micros.

8. OP
    OP
    Vichu

Hey texasdomer can I have the specific brand name for dry fertssuch that it'll be easy for me search it here in india?

9. TexasDomer

I don't know of any available in India, sorry :(

10. OP
    OP
    Vichu

Okei mate anyway thanks a lot and I'll try to search and find it so that it'll help other fellow indians in the forum if any!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice