Experience
5 years
What are your thoughts on an eel

Epicoz

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Snowflake eel there really cool and easily fit in your tank sounds like your current stocking is good though

Epicoz

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Let me check on sailfish tang I’ve never kept a saltwater you can try aquaadvisor though get a second opion

The tangs pushing it, but could do you might want to get other fish first and see how you like it and the snowflake eel could be aggressive so your choice

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Tangs are absolute jerks in case you didn't know. They have a piece of sharp bone sticking out of their tail fins, and when challenged by another fish, or challenging another fish themselves, they spin around and tail whip them. This gives the other fish quite a gash and is why tangs are nicknamed 'surgeon fish'
I definitely wouldn't keep a tang with an angel

OP
D

DixieTheDog

Reaction score
What other big fish would you recommend I put in instead?

kanzekatores

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If you're going to do the snowflake eel and wrasse, a tight lid is essential. Preferably even no gaps. Snowflake eels are known for jumping, and wrasses are too.
Good luck

Jesterrace

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Given the 5 foot length of that tank, I would skip the mimic tang and definitely no sailfin. Both really need at least 6 feet long term. As for the big fish, I would strongly recommend a One Spot Foxface. They get good sized and have a much better disposition.

Here is an overview of them:

Oh and be aware the flame angels can be coral nippers (as can all pygmy or dwarf angels). You can help improve your odds by waiting until your tank is well established with algae growing and daily seaweed/norI feedings. Not a fan of eels in reef tanks as they can decide to make a meal out of your fish. IMHO they belong in predator tanks.

OP
D

DixieTheDog

Reaction score
Ok thanks. Can I trust saltwater fish then because it told me the minimum tank size for the yellow mimic is 75 gallons. Here's the link

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Considering that it also says no less than 35g at the bottom of the page.....I would just follow liveaquaria

Jesterrace

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
DixieTheDog said:
Ok thanks. Can I trust saltwater fish then because it told me the minimum tank size for the yellow mimic is 75 gallons. Here's the link
The only vendor site I trust for minimum tank sizes is Live Aquaria:

is the only site to make a real attempt to list a minimum tank size that will house a given fish long term.

New Threads