120 Gallon Discus Tank

NicksFishTanks

Reaction score
I just got a 120 gallon. The guy gave me some filter and heaters with it. He gave me 2 large filters that hang off the back of the tank. I’m not sure if this is good enough for the filtration or will I need to get a canister filter, or some other type of filter.

max h

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
As far as the HOB filters go that's going to depend on their rated GPH. I use canister filters on tanks larger then 55 gallons and normally have 2 filters running, that way if one goes bad there's a backup already running to take over. Also the filters are each rated at a minimum to be able to support the tank as a stand alone filter.

fa4960

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If you plan on growing out juvenile discus you would want as much filtration as possible! Nothing compares to a sump when it comes to the amount of media even a small sump can hold. Upside is also that all your equipment is out of sight. Downside is the drilling of the tank and the plumbing.

For 120 Gal I would absolutely go sump!

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It’s up to your budget. Let us know what type of filters they are and we will be better able to help. I have a 125 with a fluval fx6 running it with a power head that has 2 sponges. For a 120 discus tank your looking to move at least 1000 gph. You will also need 2 heaters. One for each side of the tank. Mine are 2 300w finnex heaters. Sumps are great filters but since it’s a used tank I would not drill it. You can still run a sump with hoses. Ask lots of questions. There is a good sized group of us keeping discus now so you will get lots of help . There is a thread running called “Discus Gang Updates” check it out and say hello. Welcome to fishlore .

OP
NicksFishTanks

NicksFishTanks

Reaction score
86 ssinit said:
It’s up to your budget. Let us know what type of filters they are and we will be better able to help. I have a 125 with a fluval fx6 running it with a power head that has 2 sponges. For a 120 discus tank your looking to move at least 1000 gph. You will also need 2 heaters. One for each side of the tank. Mine are 2 300w finnex heaters. Sumps are great filters but since it’s a used tank I would not drill it. You can still run a sump with hoses. Ask lots of questions. There is a good sized group of us keeping discus now so you will get lots of help . There is a thread running called “Discus Gang Updates” check it out and say hello. Welcome to fishlore .
I have heard the word sump everywhere are I’m still lot entirely sure what it is. Kinda embarrassing. I don’t want you to explain everything unless you want to, but you could just put a link to a website that explains it or something.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry just don’t know how to link. Fa4960 has a nice sized sump under his tank. Maybe he could put up a picture. You would probably been either a 30gal long or a 40 breeder to put under your tank. On one side you would make a bio-ball field. That the tank water will flow through. Than go into a section of media and other sections. Than the water is pumped back into the tank.

OP
NicksFishTanks

NicksFishTanks

Reaction score
86 ssinit said:
Sorry just don’t know how to link. Fa4960 has a nice sized sump under his tank. Maybe he could put up a picture. You would probably been either a 30gal long or a 40 breeder to put under your tank. On one side you would make a bio-ball field. That the tank water will flow through. Than go into a section of media and other sections. Than the water is pumped back into the tank.
Oh ok. Thank you. I was assuming that’s what it was. That you are clarifying.

OP
NicksFishTanks

NicksFishTanks

Reaction score
86 ssinit said:
Also in this you ask for a 125 your looking to move 1000gph. I heard that you would have a filter or pump that is 2x as many gallons as my tank.

I worded that bad. I meant to say that in the first response you wrote, it says for a 125g tank you should be moving 1000gph. I heard in the past, it’s a good idea to only move about 2x the amount of water in your tank. I would like to buy a canister filter if possible because of the trouble and plumbing in order to install a sump. I have a 120 gallon and maybe you could give me some suggestions on what to canister to get. I might just have to install a sump. Note: I’m not looking to spend $200-$300 on a filter either.
Thanks

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Rule of thumb for filters is.... for an hob filter you should be moving 8x10 times the volume often tank. For a canister yo7 should move at least 6 times. For discus the more the better. Clean water and lots of food is what they need to grow.

I started this tank in July with 12 discus. I have an Fx6 which moves 925g per hour and a powerhead with 2 sponges that moves 350gph. This is needed because I feed my fish as much as 10x a day. I bought these fish at 2” and they need this type of feeding to grow. My fish have doubled in size since I bought them.

Skavatar

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
for 1000gph, you're probably looking at 2 Sunsun 525 gph canisters, which go for around $75-80 each on ebay. or a FX6 which is rated around 900 gph, but costs over $300.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I hear you. These things get expensive. But you may be able to run that tank with the filters it came with. I also have a 90g that I use 2 hobs on. Just let us know what these filters are. If your not sure take pictures. Marineland make a cheap hob filter. The 350bio-wheel and the 400. 2 of these filters with the power head will run that tank. And will cost you under a hundred.
Yes the sunsun canisters are a great deal. I would get 1 sunsun and 1 Marineland. My only problem is my bigger sunsun (4 baskets) leaked after a power outage. It leaked from the canister seal. The 3 basket one ran great with no problems.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Lol just realized you have 2 different threads going. Are you starting 2 tanks??

OP
NicksFishTanks

NicksFishTanks

Reaction score
86 ssinit said:
Lol just realized you have 2 different threads going. Are you starting 2 tanks??
Haha. Nope just the 120. The man I was getting them from said it was a 220 but it turned out to be a 120. Kind of disappointed.

OP
NicksFishTanks

NicksFishTanks

Reaction score
86 ssinit said:
I hear you. These things get expensive. But you may be able to run that tank with the filters it came with. I also have a 90g that I use 2 hobs on. Just let us know what these filters are. If your not sure take pictures. Marineland make a cheap hob filter. The 350bio-wheel and the 400. 2 of these filters with the power head will run that tank. And will cost you under a hundred.
Yes the sunsun canisters are a great deal. I would get 1 sunsun and 1 Marineland. My only problem is my bigger sunsun (4 baskets) leaked after a power outage. It leaked from the canister seal. The 3 basket one ran great with no problems.
Just saw that the filter was infested with bugs. I just now decided I’m not going to use those. There was a sponge in it and it’s just completely filled with ants and any eggs. Well it was at least they all are gone now. Thank goodness for bug killer. I will look into that. I was thinking about a sump but my tank had tempered glass so I am not able to drill it. I would have to get a overflow box. I’ll look into the canisters and the sunsuns now. Thank you.

Also your saying I should use a job and a canister on the tank. Would that be good enough for discus?

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Me I like both. Now about the tank was it stored outdoors? How long has it been empty? Did you use big killer near or on the tank.

OP
NicksFishTanks

NicksFishTanks

Reaction score
86 ssinit said:
Me I like both. Now about the tank was it stored outdoors? How long has it been empty? Did you use big killer near or on the tank.
I used it near it but not on it. I don’t think any could have gotten in it. I’m not sure how long it’s been empty and yes it was stored outside in a storage unit.

OP
NicksFishTanks

NicksFishTanks

Reaction score
86 ssinit said:
If I was to put a sump on the tank, would it be a good idea to also have a canister running just Incase something happens to the sump and also just for more filtration or would that be too much with a 1000 gph sump and then a 800 gph canister filter?

New Threads