120 Gallon Barb Tank - Questions!

tintin1982

Hello,

Wishing everyone in Fishlore a very Happy New Year!

I have recently made a 120 gallon tank and this was made primarily for a Barb setup since I love Tiger and Albino Barbs. I've always wanted to devote an entire big tank to these fish since I've always loved them swimming in schools and playing around.

Now my questions are:

- How many Tiger and Albino Barbs can I keep in this 120 gallon tank?

- Which other fish are safe to be kept in the same tank? I have previously kept Platies, Danio's and Pleco's along with Barbs with success but are there other fishes that get along well with Barbs?

- Will a school of freshwater Clown Loaches get along with the Barbs?

My tang details are as follows:

Measurements: 48 X 24 X 24 (inches)

Capacity: 120 Gallons

Filtration: 1 X Dolphin C-1300 Canister Filter @1000 L/H + 1 X Internal Power Filter @ 2500 L/H (Will be adding another canister filter next month)

Aeration and water movement: Air Pump + Internal Powerhead @ 1200 L/H

Substrate/Decorations: River Sand + rocks + driftwood

Heater: 2 X 200 Watts (Tank Temp kept at 26 C / 78.8 F)

Please let me know.

Thanks and Regards - Tintin

James Jammer

Wow. That is going to be awesome. In an 120 Gallon tank, you can fit, a ridiculously large amount! I don't have an exact # for you, but it's going to be awesome!

I think the clown loaches would be fine, they are similar color and patterns though, so don't get bored with them!

tintin1982

Thanks James for your reply.

Looking for others to comment as well, so please advice.

tyspot1000

Well Known
You would probably (Not saying exact amount) be able to fit 45-60 tigers in a 120 gallon, as far as the clowns, I'm not sure.

Tyler

tintin1982

The very idea of having 60 barbs together makes me incredibly happy!!

Can someone confirm if Clown fishes can be kept with the barbs, if yes then how many should I keep along with the barbs?

cwb141

Clown loaches are much bigger than barbs and will be fine.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
The fact that the tank is only 4 feet long is a bit of a drawback. I wouldn't go higher than 40, if you were going to make it a barb only tank.

Clown loaches would grow too large for your tank.

tintin1982

I'll get about 40-50 barbs then. If I decide to keep clown loaches then probably keep lesser barbs, that seems unlikely though.

bowcrazy

Well Known
I would like to see a picture of this set up once you get it stocked. I have a 125 gallon with 14 Angels, 7 Gourami and 2 plecos in it. There is still so much open water I have considered adding more fish but then I think everything is going good so leave it alone. You know, don't fix it if it aint broke thinking takes over.

abc123d30

Well Known
I wouldn't advise putting clown loaches in that tank. I've seen somebody who has a full grown(or at least very large) clown loach and they get huge. I think your tank is too small for them.

As for what gets along with tiger barbs, my tiger barbs always got along with the cories.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Tiny_Tanganyikans
Replies
Views
Rogue
Replies
Views
jmaldo
Replies
Views
RonJ
Replies
Views
natnat

Random Great Page!

Did You Know...

There are products you can use to reduce nitrates? CindiL has a review of several nitrate reducing products here:
Review of Nitrate Reducers

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom