120 gallon African cichlid tank, what would you do?

1. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

I need to get more experience with African Rift Lake cichlids. I am considering putting my festivums in the tank with my discus and turning the 120 gallon into an African tank. The tank is 4'x2'x2'. I realize that a 6 footer might be preferable to this footprint but it is not going to happen at this time. So, if you had this tank to stock, what species would you put in it? I have a few criteria.

1. I want stuff that isn't difficult to breed. From what I understand, that's a lot of the Malawi fish. I'm looking to get breeder points from the local club from each species.

2. I want stuff that you can't just cruise into any typical petstore and buy. For this reason, please do not suggest yellow labs, red zebras, auratus, etc. :)

3. I want stuff that other people are also going to want. I will be selling offspring once I get my breeder points. I do not want to devote a tank to fish that I have to offer for free on CL. LOL

4. I'm not going to house fish from different lakes together. I also won't house fish together that have different dietary needs; for example, Mbuna and Peacocks.

I have a young group of Otopharynx decorus that I have been growing out for a while. Those might be potential candidates along with some other species.

I'm not 100% sure I'm going to convert the 120, but it is a real possibility. I'd love to hear any thoughts you all have. Thanks in advance for your suggestions. ;D

2. navyscuba Well Known Member Member

Come on why you didn't call me or the wife? Hey have a pretty good amount of fish to stock that tank. As of now I have Otopharynx Lithobates(fry), Protomelas Spilonotus (Sulfur Head-Fry), German Red Peacocks(1"+, Tanzanian Acei(Black-Rare Mbuna), OB Peacocks-Young adults. (related to the one I sold at auction for $30). Got other fish that are rare but haven't get any product yet. Let me know. Shoot me an email at the site email since I don't pass by the forum often. Thanks.

P.S. Sorry we couldn't go to the auction.

3. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

The only reason I didn't ask you is because I want us to have different stuff. That way we can trade! ;D

P.S. Hopefully in Sept!

4. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

You may already be aware of this, but the link below has many different species of African Cichlids.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/african_cichlid_genus_gallery.php

Any species of the Protemelas genus would be an excellent start, IMO. We don't see them in the club too often.

I can't remember the scientific name, but "Blue Dolphin" cichlids might be an option as well.

Hope this helps and I'll keep racking my brain. LOL!

5. navyscuba Well Known Member Member

Ok. You know you can get a bunch of Tang species cuz I don't carry a lot and over the club there's not a lot of people that carry them.