120 Gal Tank For Rbp General

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by ScrubLordMike, Aug 19, 2019.

1. ScrubLordMike

ScrubLordMikeNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +4
    I have a 120 gallon tank that I will house 10 RBP in a few weeks once I’m done cycling, and have some questions and also looking for some general input on my plan/timeline.

So basics: 120 gallon tank, using white pool filter sand as substrate (bought 100 lbs planing in cover an inch and a half). I’ll run a SunSun hw304B canister for filtration and 2 300 watt heaters for temp.

1st thing, I’ll be filling with tap water from hose (idea is saving myself doing it bucket by bucket) and treating to dechlorinate once I have a bit of water in the tank. My main question here being will I need to do anything extra since I’m using sand and not gravel? Should I add the treatment once it’s full or add the treatment for the full tank amount while it’s filling?

Next thing I’m curious about is water changers, I’m toying with the idea of running an automatic water changer from a controlled water source (treated and heated to make things as smooth as possible) does anyone have any experience with these in freshwater tanks? I’ve only found testimonials from saltwater tanks about them. And if just doing manual water changes would I need to rehouse the RBP when doing 10-15% changes in a tank this size or are they fine hanging around while water is being changed?

Finally, are there any glaring issues or possible problems that anyone has noticed with what I have and plan to use?

2. Joshuaharestad

JoshuaharestadValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +85
    Experience:
    1 year
    Also consider a water python if your're doing manual changes. Way easier than buckets. For my 75 I treat the whole tank as its's filling, filters off, then kick them back on. I don't remove any fish during a water change, a 10-15% should be fine. Not familiar with RBP so I don't know about the stocking and any aggression issues that might occur. I'm wishing I had sand substrate. Going to go through the hassle of switching.

3. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +3,200
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Welcome to FishLore! I second the Python recommendation.

4. max h

max hWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,265
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    A python system will make the filling and regular water changes so much easier. When filling the tank initially you can just use your regular water hose, dose with the de-chlrorinator you use for the whole tank volume. as far as automatic tank top off systems go I really have never seen a big need for one with that size fresh water tank, by the time mine really need to be topped off it's time to do a water change.