120 Gal Oddball

jaydivingboard

Hi all! I have a few tanks set up but I'm losing interest in a few and have for a few months wanted to be able to keep larger oddballs but haven't had room or the stock present in my large enough tanks wouldnt have been safe, so I am getting a 120 gallon, few questions
1. How much can I expect to pay for a 120 gal setup (plan on using canister filter but not worried about high light, will stick with javas, swords and anubias)
2. What is the daily electrical cost of a 120 gallon? I have never owned that large of a tank and i feel as though it would suck energy, is this the case?
3. My intensions with this tank is to keep Monster fish and fish that I would normally not be able to keep bc of their predator nature with smaller fish, please lmk what you think of this stock if there are any problems; King Pleco, Oscar, Ropefish, Peacock Eel, Rainbowfish (or some schooling fish that gets big enough to not get eaten)

Ghelfaire

If you go online you can probably find a used tank, maybe even a whole setup, for cheap.

Im not sure about your stocking level. Maybe skip any schooling fish with them. Ropefish and eels are really good escape artists. People have found them in their canister filters or even outside the tank. Make sure you have a really tight fitting lid.

SavTheArtist

In that size tank... I would do a dinosaur bichir.

As for electrical, I can assume it would be pricey. I have around 55~ gallons with all my tanks put together, and that is expensive as is.

Also yes to what ghel said, they are huge escape artists! I had an african ropefish once... he somehow opened the lid of the tank and got out. He made it all the way across the room before he passed, imagine! We came home to a dried-out fish very far away from the tank, confused as all heck

MomeWrath

Hi all! I have a few tanks set up but I'm losing interest in a few and have for a few months wanted to be able to keep larger oddballs but haven't had room or the stock present in my large enough tanks wouldnt have been safe, so I am getting a 120 gallon, few questions
1. How much can I expect to pay for a 120 gal setup (plan on using canister filter but not worried about high light, will stick with javas, swords and anubias)
2. What is the daily electrical cost of a 120 gallon? I have never owned that large of a tank and i feel as though it would suck energy, is this the case?
3. My intensions with this tank is to keep Monster fish and fish that I would normally not be able to keep bc of their predator nature with smaller fish, please lmk what you think of this stock if there are any problems; King Pleco, Oscar, Ropefish, Peacock Eel, Rainbowfish (or some schooling fish that gets big enough to not get eaten)
There is a FB group I am part of called NC Fish buy/rehome/trade...someone is selling a 120 on there right now for cheap
I would expect a tank that size to add ten or so dollars a month to your bill. Comparing to my 75 gallon reef that had tons of equipment and a three lights between the tank and the refugium.
I think your stock sounds cool. I think ropefish are pretty awesome. I haven't seen anyone keep rainbows with monsters. I'd be afraid of just plain aggression as much as being eaten, but idk.

Dennis57

I look at it this way. If you really like something and really want something then you will make it work.

You can look for used ones at around 500.00 and up. As far as electric all depends on where you live and what they charge.

I have a 125 with 2 sets of lights, 2 canister filters ( FX6 and a Fluval 406) and a HOB Marineland 400.

I also use a Titanium Heater with a controller.

A201

A 120 gal. seems big, but really isn't big enough for what would be classified as a monster fish. One adult male Oscar would fill a 120.
Might look at medium sized monsters such as a Rivulatus - Green Terror or
Electric Blue Jack Dempsey, bigger Geophagus varieties. Mix in XL tetras or XL Barbs. Synodontis Catfis or big Botia Loaches as scavengers.
I bought my 120 on a black Friday sale at Petsmart for $300. I run 2x AC 110's on it & an Aqua Sky LED light. Those aren't big power drains.

MomeWrath

A 120 gal. seems big, but really isn't big enough for what would be classified as a monster fish. One adult male Oscar would fill a 120.
Might look at medium sized monsters such as a Rivulatus - Green Terror or
Electric Blue Jack Dempsey, bigger Geophagus varieties. Mix in XL tetras or XL Barbs. Synodontis Catfis or big Botia Loaches as scavengers.
I bought my 120 on a black Friday sale at Petsmart for $300. I run 2x AC 110's on it & an Aqua Sky LED light. Those aren't big power drains.
Yeah you are right about that. Like a 55 for medium sized fish... a 120 is long but not deep enough to get multiple serious monsters.

Archangel8

The ropefish can definitely get out but with that said. I have had 2 for also 4 years and they never have tried and I don't use lids.

jaydivingboard

Hmm, would the following work?
1x Dinosaur Bichir
1x King Pleco
1x Earth Eater
X amount of Clown Loaches (never had a really big tank so idk how many I could keep)
10-12x Congo Tetras (I think they are a bigger size tetra I have seen them in my LFS with other big fish)

OR

10x Discus (have always thought these fish are gorgeous despite being so expensive)
1x King Pleco
X amount of Clown Plecos
X Amount of RummyNose Tetra

Archangel8

Hmm, would the following work?
1x Dinosaur Bichir
1x King Pleco
1x Earth Eater
X amount of Clown Loaches (never had a really big tank so idk how many I could keep)
10-12x Congo Tetras (I think they are a bigger size tetra I have seen them in my LFS with other big fish)

OR

10x Discus (have always thought these fish are gorgeous despite being so expensive)
1x King Pleco
X amount of Clown Plecos
X Amount of RummyNose Tetra
I like the second one lol

jpm995

Electrical is obviously driven by 3 things. Filters, lights and heaters. You can manage these to make them pretty efficient. For heating a 200 watt heater is probably as small as you can go. The key here is keeping the tank as close to room temp as the fish can take. I've found most tropical's do fine in low 70 degree tanks. While 78-82 is recommended this is a parameter you can lower. Place tank in a warm area with no drafts. I always go with 2 filters but some filters are lower wattage than others. Fluval and Eheim cannisters are very low wattage. Hang on's are usually less. On my 55 gal i use 2 Aqua Clear 70's. I picked the 70's because it had the largest media area with the lowest wattage. The 70 uses the same watts as their smaller filters but holds more media. The 100 is bigger but uses twice the power. With lighting go with low watt leds, and pick plants like java fern and others that don't need tons of light. My favorite oddballs are knife fish and elephant noses.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ferrariluca07
Replies
Views
Massalo85
Replies
Views
Colleen B
Replies
Views