120 Discus Build

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Messages
6,610
Reaction score
7,960
Points
608
Experience
More than 10 years
The pitting is pretty clear to see.
Get right to what ever the standard treatment is [metro?] and get some Boyds vita chem .
Please get real meds and not general cure or whatever seachem is pushing ...Can't believe one person still pushes either of those realistically ??
Have not heard of one success story with either ...
 

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Messages
4,719
Reaction score
4,005
Points
308
Experience
More than 10 years
Wow nice pick up coral. Had to go back and relook at those pics. It’s not bad just starting. RollaPear what are you feeding? I too am at 5 months in. I have 12 discus 6 different types. Also a low gravel planted tank. Did you buy all your discus together from the same seller?
@jpm995 i bought 6 of mine at pets warehouse.
7B79B7F3-0243-4B05-8528-11B37FE62C70.jpeg
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #43

RollaPear

Valued Member
Messages
101
Reaction score
119
Points
78
coralbandit said:
The pitting is pretty clear to see.
Get right to what ever the standard treatment is [metro?] and get some Boyds vita chem .
Please get real meds and not general cure or whatever seachem is pushing ...Can't believe one person still pushes either of those realistically ??
Have not heard of one success story with either ...
Not sure where to begin. They arrived with the holes and it's on all of them so I figured it was a pattern as all the holes are in the exact same position on every one of them. And I mean "exact" same position. I thought HITH wasn't uniform in it's pattern. Which is why I ignored it.

I don't know where to get metronidazole in the UK. I bought Boyds vita chem without actually knowing what it is. I just took your advice and amazon prime(d) it.

Ughhhhh
 

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Messages
4,719
Reaction score
4,005
Points
308
Experience
More than 10 years
It may just be the color of you discus. Some pics for reference.
88D5FEBA-EE24-4454-B171-91E2B034E4B0.jpeg
59C897E5-7D2E-4072-849D-414668B5213A.jpeg
D4ECD3F9-2E3F-4696-917F-33CDBE0EE981.jpeg
483AAFC8-E783-4186-AC96-12CD94593B1C.jpeg
949F6168-CDD8-47B7-AD2C-24DE9FAFAE72.jpeg
25A10F85-24F4-4EBA-81BD-0E14DA4A8327.jpeg
May not be hith. Now that you have your pics just keep an eye on them.
 

jpm995

Well Known Member
Messages
1,157
Reaction score
237
Points
108
Experience
More than 10 years
86 ssinit said:
Wow nice pick up coral. Had to go back and relook at those pics. It’s not bad just starting. RollaPear what are you feeding? I too am at 5 months in. I have 12 discus 6 different types. Also a low gravel planted tank. Did you buy all your discus together from the same seller?
@jpm995 i bought 6 of mine at pets warehouse.View attachment 626436
Wow, i've been going there since they originally opened the store in Bohemia. We're lucky to have so many good places on LI. Their moving again in November.
 

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Messages
4,719
Reaction score
4,005
Points
308
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes they said they’re moving. For me my go to place for plants and fish. Problem with discus is nobody’s buying them. So they just can’t move them. It’s a shame because they have had the best I’ve seen on Long Island. I bought 6 of my 12 from them and am very happy with them. They have another store in glen cove that is worth the visit.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #47

RollaPear

Valued Member
Messages
101
Reaction score
119
Points
78
86 ssinit said:
It may just be the color of you discus. Some pics for reference.]May not be hith. Now that you have your pics just keep an eye on them.
I have been in an absolute panic about this. You'll have to excuse me while I MS Paint your photo.

vqm2JPl.jpg


These are the exact same placement on my discus unless I'm mistaken? I was told on simplydiscus that I might be mistaken and those holes are called nodules. I'm hoping that the color of my discus is making them look more prominent that they would in other strains of discus.

Menz isn't available over the counter here in the UK so I signed up with a vet today with phone appointment tomorrow lunch time. Cost me a total of £80 / $103 just to get the call and because it's an emergency. Other processes are cheaper but I didn't have time to wait. Ughhh...

@86 ssinit You have given me hope. HITH was the first thing on my mind this morning!
 

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Messages
4,719
Reaction score
4,005
Points
308
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes that’s why I sent the pics. Pretty sure it’s just the color of the fish. The fact that your water conditions are good the only other thing I know that hith is associated with is feeding blood worms solely as food. Also in my opinion nitrates are not a problem unless over 40ppm for a very long period (like over 2 months). 10 ppm nitrate is not a problem. I don’t check for nitrates. If your changing 50% once a week there’s no reason to check. Unless there’s nitrates in your tap water.
Next the reason for your first losses may have just been survival of the fittest. The 5 you bought were from the same hatch. Just from following the discus gang members have lost fish when everything was perfect. But these members also bought all from the same hatch. I bought 12 6 different types and all are fine. Had a few none eaters along the way but they both came back. Both stunted but eating again and healthy. Seems like when this happens within a hatch that fish just dies off. Not sure how your died but that may be part of it. Since you’ve moved to 2 different hatches it’s changes the group. Just my observation.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #49

RollaPear

Valued Member
Messages
101
Reaction score
119
Points
78
86 ssinit said:
Yes that’s why I sent the pics. Pretty sure it’s just the color of the fish. The fact that your water conditions are good the only other thing I know that hith is associated with is feeding blood worms solely as food. Also in my opinion nitrates are not a problem unless over 40ppm for a very long period (like over 2 months). 10 ppm nitrate is not a problem. I don’t check for nitrates. If your changing 50% once a week there’s no reason to check. Unless there’s nitrates in your tap water.
Next the reason for your first losses may have just been survival of the fittest. The 5 you bought were from the same hatch. Just from following the discus gang members have lost fish when everything was perfect. But these members also bought all from the same hatch. I bought 12 6 different types and all are fine. Had a few none eaters along the way but they both came back. Both stunted but eating again and healthy. Seems like when this happens within a hatch that fish just dies off. Not sure how your died but that may be part of it. Since you’ve moved to 2 different hatches it’s changes the group. Just my observation.
Well @86 ssinit your observations have been invaluable to me. I literally woke up thinking I was going to lose my discus and that they'd been suffering slowly because of my ignorance. The markings/holes/nodules being in the exact same place must be some type of devious feint by the HITH disease. It has been my second/third thought throughout today until your post and another on simplydiscus. I appreciate your thoughts and observations. They took me from

"My tank is about to crash" to "Be patient and get a full diagnostic from the community."

As for nitrates I know I harp on about them a bit but it's more so about balance. So that if something does go wrong I have a "buffer" so to speak. I'm not sure what went wrong with my initial 5. Although 3 died two survived but were stunted. A local keeper offered to take the remaining two and it's my wife who gave me the go ahead to try again. We got 5 and 3 a month or so later. The second group of 5 had a completely different behaviour and although my confidence had been shaken by the initial loss... I could see the difference which led us to purchase the other 3.
 

jpm995

Well Known Member
Messages
1,157
Reaction score
237
Points
108
Experience
More than 10 years
One suspected cause for the dreaded hole in the head disease is the use of carbon in filters. I read an article on this years ago and it was pretty conslusive that carbon can be the cause.

86 ssinit said:
Yes they said they’re moving. For me my go to place for plants and fish. Problem with discus is nobody’s buying them. So they just can’t move them. It’s a shame because they have had the best I’ve seen on Long Island. I bought 6 of my 12 from them and am very happy with them. They have another store in glen cove that is worth the visit.
I had no idea they had another store. Where in Glen Cove is it? I'm on the South Shore so its a trip to get there but sounds worth while. I used to be pretty familiar with the owners as i spent a boatload of money there when i had my 240 gallon saltwater tank running. I noticed they had some small discus under $20 might add some to my 55 gallon after it runs for a while.
 

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Messages
4,719
Reaction score
4,005
Points
308
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok the problem with those discus is they’ve been there 5+ months. They are the same batch I bought some of mine from. At least they were 2 weeks ago. Like I said he gets some good discus but just can’t move them.
The glen cove store is just north of Roosevelt field. On glen cove rd close to REI.
Also a nice little shop in lindenhurst right by the train tracks. I’m from Massapequa.
 

jpm995

Well Known Member
Messages
1,157
Reaction score
237
Points
108
Experience
More than 10 years
86 ssinit said:
Ok the problem with those discus is they’ve been there 5+ months. They are the same batch I bought some of mine from. At least they were 2 weeks ago. Like I said he gets some good discus but just can’t move them.
The glen cove store is just north of Roosevelt field. On glen cove rd close to REI.
Also a nice little shop in lindenhurst right by the train tracks. I’m from Massapequa.
Thanks. Its a shame they don't sell. Seems younger kids are more into social media more than traditional hobbies anymore. The shop in Lindenhurst is South Shore Tropicals. Been around for years although they moved a few times. John [the owner] used be a partner in Charlies Aquarium which was around for many years. Good quality fish and all the guys are great.
 

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Messages
4,719
Reaction score
4,005
Points
308
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes it’s hard finding nice discus. I bought 6 from Hans. Nice fish but the colors are not what I bought. Still nice fish. Just bought 2 from uncle sams and they are so far pretty nice.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #54

RollaPear

Valued Member
Messages
101
Reaction score
119
Points
78
Hole In The Head Update: Crisis averted.

I spoke to the vet and sent him pics before ahead of time. He said HITH isn't uniform pattern and that what I'm looking at is sensory (I can't remember the exact term) and are on all discus. I did get a prescription for Metro which isn't available over the counter in the UK. The call took about 5 minutes but cost me a lot of money...

My manzi wood and plant budget has been blown :(

I did get some BVC and I'm interested to see what this does. I also got some new Discus flake and will try introducing it.
 

BarbaraLocke

Valued Member
Messages
311
Reaction score
474
Points
73
Experience
1 year
RollaPear said:
Hole In The Head Update: Crisis averted.

I spoke to the vet and sent him pics before ahead of time. He said HITH isn't uniform pattern and that what I'm looking at is sensory (I can't remember the exact term) and are on all discus. I did get a prescription for Metro which isn't available over the counter in the UK. The call took about 5 minutes but cost me a lot of money...

My manzi wood and plant budget has been blown :(

I did get some BVC and I'm interested to see what this does. I also got some new Discus flake and will try introducing it.
I’m responding to you here, @RollaPear, so you can keep all your HITH info in one thread. I would have said the same thing as @coralbandit after looking at your pix, as I’ve never noticed these spots on my Discus. So glad it’s not HITH, or anything to worry about! And I’m so glad @86 ssinit suggested it might be noticeable because of their coloration! These two guys have a lot more knowledge and experience than I do!! Here’s an interesting article about HITH and HLLE that might help in the future Hole in the Head (HITH) and Head and Lateral Line Erosion (HLLE) in Aquarium Fish. I’m sorry you blew your budget getting the meds through the vet, but your peace of mind and having metro and VitaChem on hand is really worth it! Your discus are beautiful BTW! :)
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #56

RollaPear

Valued Member
Messages
101
Reaction score
119
Points
78
BarbaraLocke said:
I’m responding to you here, @RollaPear, so you can keep all your HITH info in one thread. I would have said the same thing as @coralbandit after looking at your pix, as I’ve never noticed these spots on my Discus. So glad it’s not HITH, or anything to worry about! And I’m so glad @86 ssinit suggested it might be noticeable because of their coloration! These two guys have a lot more knowledge and experience than I do!! Here’s an interesting article about HITH and HLLE that might help in the future Hole in the Head (HITH) and Head and Lateral Line Erosion (HLLE) in Aquarium Fish. I’m sorry you blew your budget getting the meds through the vet, but your peace of mind and having metro and VitaChem on hand is really worth it! Your discus are beautiful BTW! :)
Hey @BarbaraLocke

Thanks for taking the time to respond here. The vet looked at the pics I sent him and was confident that the nodes are sensory. He also said if it were HITH the pit of the holes would be discolored and even raw looking. I'm just happy it's not and that I have some metro so that if that were to appear in the future, I can take action immediately.

The color of the discus changes depending on where they are in the tank. I've had them a while and it's still confusing as to who is who especially when the swim to the top where they look white and yellow.

Peace of mind is everything. After my initial start with discus I guess I was in a heightened sense of awareness so to speak. @86 ssinit input really helped.
 

BarbaraLocke

Valued Member
Messages
311
Reaction score
474
Points
73
Experience
1 year
RollaPear said:
Hey @BarbaraLocke

Thanks for taking the time to respond here. The vet looked at the pics I sent him and was confident that the nodes are sensory. He also said if it were HITH the pit of the holes would be discolored and even raw looking. I'm just happy it's not and that I have some metro so that if that were to appear in the future, I can take action immediately.

The color of the discus changes depending on where they are in the tank. I've had them a while and it's still confusing as to who is who especially when the swim to the top where they look white and yellow.

Peace of mind is everything. After my initial start with discus I guess I was in a heightened sense of awareness so to speak. @86 ssinit input really helped.
Well, I’m a complete newbie with Discus, and I rely on everyone’s support trying to keep mine healthy, so we’re all on this journey together! When I was ordering my second batch I wanted a couple of the white ones, but they were out of stock. Seeing yours makes me think that maybe in the future......:rolleyes:
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #58

RollaPear

Valued Member
Messages
101
Reaction score
119
Points
78
BarbaraLocke said:
Well, I’m a complete newbie with Discus, and I rely on everyone’s support trying to keep mine healthy, so we’re all on this journey together! When I was ordering my second batch I wanted a couple of the white ones, but they were out of stock. Seeing yours makes me think that maybe in the future......:rolleyes:
Well these blue diamonds seem to morph in color depending on where they are. I'm using regular T5 lighting which is just above the low light range so nothing too bright. I noted Pink, Peach, Yellow, Orange, and White colorations this weekend.

When they're hungry they gather at this end and beg.

When the light comes on... From right to left meet Bulla, Tiny, Aggie, Star Scream, and Dusty. I can't work out who is closest to the glass and the other two are not in the picture.

@BarbaraLocke What do you think of Tiny?


Five minutes later their color starts to change.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #60

RollaPear

Valued Member
Messages
101
Reaction score
119
Points
78
So I added a multi colored LED light which has white, red, green, etc etc after speaking to a discus guy I met on a FB group. He said it different spectrum of light can give you early warning signs of any external nasties that a T5 wouldn't traditionally show.

 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom