120 Discus Build

RollaPear

Valued Member
Reaction score
It took me a while to remember my password. I signed up when I was starting a planted tank and somewhere during that build I unexpectedly caught the discus bug. Despite being in the hobby for a while I had never actually seen one in person and when I did, I decided to change my setup.

Full disclosure: I bought 5 discus and lost 3 a month or so later. To this day I still puzzled by what I did wrong especially since I did a ton of research before getting the first group. Much to the annoyance of my wife we decided to get 5 more of a different strain and it's being going really well since. We now have a total of 8 Stendker Blue Diamond and I haven't stopped researching since because I'm always aware of the initial loss.

I bought some some at 6-8cm and others at 4-6cm in June and they have all grown at a rapid rate. The largest and most dominant of the 8

And the best FTS I've gotten thus far

Truth be told I'm looking for as much advice as possible. I still have a number of issues that are of constant concern to me despite the growth and good health of the fish.

I'm really happy to back on fishlore.

Rolla

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to fishlore glad to have you back. Discus are getting popular again :). I blame it all on @nikm128 :). Tank looks great and so do the fish. I just started a 125 in June. There is a running thread called discus gang updates. Join in lots of great people involved and ready to help.

RollaPear

Valued Member
Reaction score
86 ssinit said:
Welcome to fishlore glad to have you back. Discus are getting popular again :). I blame it all on @nikm128 :). Tank looks great and so do the fish. I just started a 125 in June. There is a running thread called discus gang updates. Join in lots of great people involved and ready to help.
It's been a while and I'm just getting my bearings again so please if you could, post the link here or PM it to me and I'll join asap. I'll be looking at your 125 later tonight. I'll also have to take a look at @nim128 too. I really appreciate the kind words. It's an ongoing work in progress.

Donthemon said:
What are you feeding them?
Hi @Donthemon

I'm feeding them Stendker good Beefheart mix that I get shipped to me. And a homemade mix of these ingredients

RollaPear

Valued Member
Reaction score
JayH said:
Your discus eat better than I do!
Donthemon said:
No wonder they are growing well!
Thanks guys.

I decided to go with these types of ingredients as opposed to the flake and pellets because they seem to enjoy it more, not only that but they seem far more active on this meat mix diet as opposed to others.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
86 ssinit said:
:p you're welcome
@RollaPear here's a video of my tank.

RollaPear

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi @nikm128

Those are some beautiful discus you have there. I noticed your dog in the reflection too. I appreciate you posting this. I need to make a vid sometime soon so this is some good inspiration. I just found the "discus gang" thread and it looks like an excellent resource.

jpm995

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Those discus are stunning. Looks like your doing everything right.

RollaPear

Valued Member
Reaction score
jpm995 said:
Those discus are stunning. Looks like your doing everything right.
qquake2k said:
Good looking tank and great looking discus!
Thanks guys.

It's great to have more eyes on and get feedback because I've always got this niggling feeling that I'm not doing something right. So I do take your kind words as encouragement.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
NICE ! Your tank looks fantastic ..What filter set up do you have and what is your water change schedule? Big boy 180g plus I would say [maybe 220]
Possibly this will help with some issues or concerns [lots of good info in links in the thread]; Using Potassium Permanganate | Freshwater Fish Disease 397208 Game changer for water keepers..
If not at least I am subbed to your thread now [I can be a slacker with short attention span]..!
Edit I need to read and remember title ! 120g huh ?:confused:

RollaPear

Valued Member
Reaction score
coralbandit said:
NICE ! Your tank looks fantastic ..What filter set up do you have and what is your water change schedule? Big boy 180g plus I would say [maybe 220]
Possibly this will help with some issues or concerns [lots of good info in links in the thread]; Using Potassium Permanganate | Freshwater Fish Disease 397208 Game changer for water keepers..
If not at least I am subbed to your thread now [I can be a slacker with short attention span]..!
Edit I need to read and remember title ! 120g huh ?:confused:
:joyful: I do 3 WC a week.

Wednesday and Saturday 30G WC
Sunday 50G WC

I use 2X pond pumps with 16/22mm hosing running from the tank to the kitchen and then reversed to fill the tank back up. Because of the pumps it tanks 15 minutes for a 30G WC and just under 20 minutes for a 50G WC thanks to the pumps. In short, less than an hour weekly for 3 WCs. Pic of the process...

RollaPear

Valued Member
Reaction score
coralbandit said:
Filter ?
Surely you are running more then the circulation pump and Eheim 350 skimmer ??
I mean IMO water changes at that rate make filters a novelty but most don't get it ...
Filtration is a fluval FX6 and the mid range Oase. The fluval holds 60L of beneficial bacteria and the oase is a relatively new addition. Bought mainly for the internal pre filter and heater. Because of what they eat I get a lot of Nitrates. I'm combating that via plants so the tank as it stands isn't finished despite going into it's fifth month. I plan to add more wood and plants until I can lower the nitrates more effectively. Currently it's 10ppm every three days. Hence the Monday/Saturday WC. The Sunday 50% helps keep the balance and gives me a chance to clean more thoroughly.

I bought 25 Serpae/Flame tetras today to add as dithers and hopefully stop the dashing and in general calm these guys down a little.

Having tried Rummy, Cardinal and Lemon tetras before I'm hoping the fourth times a charm. They're in the QT tank and I'll start the 6 day treatment tomorrow to make sure I don't introduce any nasties to the discus.

The struggle to control nitrates continues. I added some Java fern to the tank today just before a water change. I used zip ties to hold them in place and made sure not to crush the plant in the process.

Post water change Wednesday pic. When I find some a suitable piece of mazi I'll be adding more java fern to the right side of the aquarium.

I'm hoping to find some fast growing plants that do well at discus temps. So far the plants I have are just "managing" but nothing is growing fast. I have pressurized CO2/T5 LED lights and dose TNC liquid ferts but growth is still subdued. The substrate is only half an inch or so deep because I'm trying to bridge the gap between a bare bottom discus tank and one that allows for some plants without trapping bacteria. It's the reason why most of the plants are on wood. I have some Helanthium tenellum "Green" that seems to be doing ok but I think a lot more research is needed.

Balance seems to be an illusive goal in a lot of discus tanks but I am trying.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I use pothos in many of my tanks ..I just let the roots hang in tank .
They look kind of cool IMO and I guess they help [I have never tested my discus tanks once yet !]..
I have seen many use plants in pots to achieve the depth of substrate needed..

RollaPear

Valued Member
Reaction score
coralbandit said:
I use pothos in many of my tanks ..I just let the roots hang in tank .
They look kind of cool IMO and I guess they help [I have never tested my discus tanks once yet !]..
I have seen many use plants in pots to achieve the depth of substrate needed..
I'm real unfamiliar with that plant and the tank isn't open top but I really appreciate the suggestion. I'll do some research on it later today and hopefully it fits my setup.

*Edit*

You got me thinking about addressing my issues from the top down. Serious food for thought :happy:

Gamer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
In admiring their menu
I love a good discus build and this is no doubt is one of them
Great pictures!

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ignore the mess but here is some of my pothos [a land plant ] hanging above the tanks .
sRNksOml.jpg

The plant will take over my ceiling one day maybe ?? Started with 2 little plants and now they touch 20 tanks in this room !
I don't test so won't make any claims but what was once 10 lineal feet of plant is now 200-300 feet and gets nothing but light from me and roots in my tanks .. I change a lot of water so don't depend on them for much besides clean air and appeal[I like the look of being in jungle!] but they got be removing something huh ? I mean hundreds of feet?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom