10 Gallon Tank 12 year old stunted goldfish. Questions!

Spudsssy

Hi all,

I have a friend who ended up with a goldfish that was abandoned..... and it's been living in a plastic tub in his bathroom for years since. It's had a very hard life!

12 years old and 3-4 inches long. Looks like a comet goldfish. He asked me if I want it or just kill it as he is moving and doesn't want to keep it in bad conditions..... I offered instead to set up a tank for him out of old equipment I have.

10gal with external filter... some floating plants and Anubias.

My question is does the tank need a lid? For a healthy goldfish I would say yes.... but this goldfish is seriously stunted. Do you think it would be OK if water level was 2-3 inches from top?

Rick bose

I don't think it will need a lid. If it's used to live in a tub without jumping out, then it can live in a tank too without lid. Yeah, 2-3 inches from top should be left to avoid any accident of jumping out. But if you can get a lid it will be better as you have to leave less space on top and that will give the fish somewhat more room to swim as 10g is not a big enough tank. Mesh nets can be used as lids too. I have done that. Just use clippers to hold the net on the sides. So, it can be done without any lid if you have to but lid will be better as the fish will get a little more space to swim.

10g will be still too small for a goldfish. But then again, it used to live a tub and it's stunted, it certainly is an upgrade than the condition in which it was. I think if it's 12 years old with stunted growth, then I don't think it will grow any bigger.

Can I know the dimension of the tank? No matter whether it's a tall or a long tank, it will be still better than the condition in which it was.

Though I would generally say 10g is too small for a goldfish but a 12 year stunted one, it can just be enough too. It will definitely get more room than it was getting. Obviously if you can, give him a bigger tank than 10g which will be better. Kudos to that fish for surviving that long in such a horrible condition. Feeling sad for that poor fish. Good to know he is getting a bigger and proper tank so that he can live his last few years happily.

Upvote 0

wateriswet

If possible, get some kind of lid even if it's screen or just cut up plastic taped together from milk jugs. The reason I say this is because a 10 gallon tank is pretty small already and even less water if you have to lower the level by 2-3 inches. At that point it's probably only 8 gallons or less if you have substrate. Kudos to you for giving this poor guy a brighter retirement.

Upvote 0

Rick bose

If possible, get some kind of lid even if it's screen or just cut up plastic taped together from milk jugs. The reason I say this is because a 10 gallon tank is pretty small already and even less water if you have to lower the level by 2-3 inches. At that point it's probably only 8 gallons or less if you have substrate. Kudos to you for giving this poor guy a brighter retirement.
Yes, I too think a lid will be better as it will give the fish some more space to swim. It can be done without lid but lid will be better for the fish. I just said that lid is not absolutely necessary as I don't think the fish will jump over if left at least 2 inches on top. I forgot to write that lid will be better. Seeing your reply, I edited my comment to mention that. Even a simple mesh net would do, I have used to have mesh bet covering in one of my tanks before.

Upvote 0

Spudsssy

50cm long. Not tall tank. Yes I'd never recommend 10gal however its this or cull it..... and it would be a shame after 12 years.

I'll keep an eye out for second hand tanks and upgrade it... for now i just want to get it in a filtered clean tank.

Yes it would be a shame to reduce water level! Milk jugs is a good idea... I actually have some 5L clear water bottles I could cut up and make into a lid. Think i might have some pond mesh lying around too..... Just need to get creative !

Upvote 0

Rick bose

50cm long. Not tall tank. Yes I'd never recommend 10gal however its this or cull it..... and it would be a shame after 12 years.

I'll keep an eye out for second hand tanks and upgrade it... for now i just want to get it in a filtered clean tank.

Yes it would be a shame to reduce water level! Milk jugs is a good idea... I actually have some 5L clear water bottles I could cut up and make into a lid. Think i might have some pond mesh lying around too..... Just need to get creative !
Don't kill it. Keeping it in a 10g tank will be far better and humanely option rather than killing it. It deserves its last years to live happily after being forced to live in that horrible condition for 12 years. Keep it in a 10g tank if that's the best you can do. You are doing a great job.

Yes, pond mesh will do. Any mesh net will do. Even mosquito net or mesh made to protect from mosquito will do. Get creative. Milk jugs are a good option too. If you can provide him a lid, it will be good. Otherwise you will have to do with 2 inches less water on top. If you will get a lid, even a makeshift one in future, you can keep the water level low until you manage to get the lid. Don't think of killing him. You will do a marvelous job when you rehome him in the new tank.

Upvote 0

Spudsssy

Hi all,

Good news. I decided to build a 55gal pond behind my vegetable planter which I have insulated and will build a insulated lid for winter time (it doesn't get very cold here). I plan on adding solar powered pump for some oxygenation and will add lillie's and iris's.

IMG_20210606_150112628_HDR.jpg
IMG-20210611-WA0002.jpeg
IMG_20210612_112322875.jpg
IMG-20210613-WA0000.jpeg

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
mimo91088
  • Question
  • ButtercuptheOranda