12 hours later..Tanks all clean!!

1. Dondomingo Well Known Member Member

So I got up early Saturday and started cleaning. Only took 12 hours straight work. Had to sterilize all the equipment I was keeping and I transferred the fish to a spare tank w/heater and air using tank water. After scrubbing , sterilizing, washing 125 pounds of sand, rebuilding the filter system. I borrowed a bunch of established media from a friend since I couldn't trust that there were no snail eggs in my current media.

I had some decor to use, it's not much to look at. I'll pick up some later when I can. I couldn't get the background on as well as I liked to because the tank and stand is 200 pounds empty and with my slipped disc I didn't want to risk moving it away from the wall. I'm loving the FX6 pump so far.

Here's the tank recovered from the death of a walstad gone awry.

[video]https://youtu.be/aCTxgjhPYxk[/video]

2. Geoff Well Known Member Member

I bet you slept well Saturday night! Best of luck in getting it back up and running. Looking good so far!

What's lurking in the black tunnel thing?

3. Dondomingo Well Known Member Member

My Ghostknife. As most of the decorations for now are temporary, I lucked out finding that long windowsill planter box. I cut off one end of it, drilled a bunch of holes to allow water flow. I placed it in the same spot he used to hid behind the driftwood I had.

I think it's a keeper, he loves it. With his old hiding spot, the severum would challenge him for it, not so much anymore since the Severum doesn't fit.

4. Geoff Well Known Member Member

When I first saw it, I was like, hmm what kind of equipment is that, I wonder? Then I saw his nose poking out haha.

5. Mrs.Scorpio Member Member

So WOW... you have really been through it lately honey! Im glad to see you back though. I have been gone too. Taking care of Mom now with her COPD and emphysema and we are buying and about to move into our first house. Just bought a used 75g today that I need to clean. Anyway, kids are stressful. Welcome back and sounds like after all that you need a big hug! lol New setup looks good. I know what you were going for in the other setup and Im sorry it didnt work out but life just happens and gets in the way all too often. Dont beat yourself up over it.

Glad youre back though... Seems like we both got back at pretty close to the same time. :)

6. Imtryingmybest Member Member

I know this is a little off topic but my lfs has a ghostknife and they give it a clear tube to hide in! I guess they're blind or something, so they don't know that the tunnel is clear and they feel safe, but you can still see the little guy! Just thought I'd put that out there if you're interested :)

7. OlgaL Initiate Member

Hi Dondomingo,
    I have grown to be your 125g tank fan and watched your setup progress videos, which I must say are simply impressive. I came across your videos in the general video section here at Fish Lore and saw your devastating pictures of snail and algae explosion (my most sincere regards to you about everything you've gone through) and have a few questions if you don't mind.

1. What kind of snails you got infested with? I'm currently battling ramshorn that came in with plants from local Petco and curious if that's what you had.
    2. How come you didn't try to remove pest snails with assassin snails? I currently purchased a big bunch of them and I must say that in a week i see half of ramshorn left.
    3. Have you considered to use copper solution? I've successfully treated ich and got rid of snails with it without harming my fish (which were mostly black mollies). I guess this would be a question to everyone who knows about any side effects of copper.

Thank you for your response in advance.