12 gallon transfer to 40 gallon tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

raptorsvt79

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
if i add everything from my 12 gallong tank, including gravel, plants decorations and water into the 40 gallon tank, will i get an instant cycle...or it the 12 gallon media not enough?

Jake the Fish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You will get an instant cycle if you feed the bacteria and could add fish right away. But you may need to get more gravel if you do not have enough.

raptorsvt79

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
yeah i bought some more gravel, and i'm planning on adding the fish from my 12 gallon tank to the new forty....

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you add all the filter media from your 12G, and add more media for more bacteria to grow on, then you should be right.

The media (b/b colony) in your 12G are coping with the population so that shouldn't change.

I also agree on adding some more gravel for even more b/b to grab onto.

raptorsvt79

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
how long should i wait before adding new fish to the 40 gallon...i just set it up yesturday..

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'd give it a week or 2, just to let everything settle, and to give your community a chance to adapt to their new home, establish territories, and just get comfortable.

As for the filter, and the rate of introduction, I'd only introduce a few at a time to give the bb colony a chance to adapt and grow to cater for the new bio-loads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom