12 Gallon Frag Tank Lighting Question

1. Sea Bass Initiate Member

We sold our house and close on it this Friday. My DT is built in so I had to give the option for the buyers to keep it if they wanted it. i didn't think anyone without experience in the hobby would want it and would ask me to remove it, but they're excited about it so it's goodbye to my DT:( On the flip side, I've got frags of everything in there that I could get frags of and have set up a frag tank to keep in our apartment until our new house is built and I build my new system!

I've got the tank set up and running, but am having some concerns about the lighting.
    The polyp extension on several on the coral have been barely noticeable over the past few days. I ran some tests and the only parameter that's off the mark is Alkalinity coming in at 4.8 dKh. I've ordered some 2-part supplies and hope to have that set up and dosing soon. I didn't have a calcium test kit (ordered one) and will assume that's off as well. Ammonia and nitrate comes in at 0.00. I'm using a Marine purse slab that I seeded in my old tank for about 6 weeks prior to setting this tank up and I'm using that for my biological filtration as well as a Marineland Penguin 100 and a piece of Dragon's Breath tumbling in the small overflow.

I also raised my lights about 10 inches. They're currently hanging 26" above the tank with the white channel at 20% and the blue channel at 60% and they run for about 12 hours. It's a black box Chinese fixture. I was running a Reefbreeder's Photon fixture hung 7" above the water level at 40% white and 85% blue. The tank was 23" deep. I'm trying to judge what intensity I should be running this fixture at it's current height to provide the necessary light without burning the coral up. I may look for a better fixture, but I'll still need to determine how high to hang it. Does anyone have any experience in this regard?

Here's some pics. The larger frags with little to no polyp extension are pocillopora which did look fine the first couple of days post move. The large frags with polyp extension is stylo and the small frag with the two small sticks is a digi.

Any and all help and suggestions will be appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. stella1979 Well Known Member Member

Bump - Welcome to FishLore! Sound like you've got a lot of experience under your belt. I'm sorry I can't help but we're sure glad to have you.;)

@MightyNanoTank @LJC6780 @ryanr Hoping you can, or know of another member that can help a new FishLorean. Thanks!

3. Sea Bass Initiate Member

Thanks Stella!
  4. stella1979 Well Known Member Member

No problem Sea Bass :) I hope you get some help soon and that you'll be able to stick around and share with us. I'd love to see how your frags progress and your next build sounds so exciting!