12 Gallon Betta Tank Build

SeaMonkey06

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I recently got a 15 Gallon tank that I'll be moving my minnows into, which means I'm left with a 12 Gallon tank that I'm going to move my betta to. I'm thinking of planting it with some christmas moss, Java Fern and anubias.

I was wondering what everyone's views are on tank mates? He's already living with a mystery snail but I'm still undecided about tank mates. I may just leave him the whole tank to himself, depends. If I was to get more fish, what would you all recommend?

Thanks!
SeaMonkey06

Addictedtobettas

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What’s his personality?

My female goes after shrimp and electric blue rams but doesn’t care about angelfish, endlers, corys, or Plecos she’s been grouped with in the past.

A male is in with dwarf goby and a juvenile Siamese algae eater and he seems to like the saes company and doesn’t care about the goby. Or the crystal shrimp.

Another male has shrimp, doesn’t care, and has endlers whom he didn’t appreciate but he left them alone

Their personality though, is individual and is everything. If I put any new fish in with my female they will not be blue flashy fish or small tasty snacks. My males I worry less about somehow.

OP
SeaMonkey06

SeaMonkey06

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Addictedtobettas said:
What’s his personality?

My female goes after shrimp and electric blue rams but doesn’t care about angelfish, endlers, corys, or Plecos she’s been grouped with in the past.

A male is in with dwarf goby and a juvenile Siamese algae eater and he seems to like the saes company and doesn’t care about the goby. Or the crystal shrimp.

Another male has shrimp, doesn’t care, and has endlers whom he didn’t appreciate but he left them alone

Their personality though, is individual and is everything. If I put any new fish in with my female they will not be blue flashy fish or small tasty snacks. My males I worry less about somehow.
Thanks!

He flares at everything but his bark is worse than his bite. I believe he'd be okay with some smaller fish as long as he doesn't feel like their more superior than him.

Addictedtobettas

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would definitely try bottom dwellers then. I’m a fan of the goofy corys and even the dwarf goby are fun to watch.
And perhaps some not so flashy mid tank folks that are also of the peaceful type.
I’m not a tetra or rasbora fan but they do quite well. I prefer the endlers which usually do well.

I’m sure you can find something he’ll at least tolerate to fill out the tank. :)

pattersonbear

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If he flares, maybe try bottom dweller like corydoras habrosus (salt and pepper corys). If you think he'll be fine, you could do a small tetra or microrasbora school. I had mine in with some platys before the platys passed away, and they were really happy together.

New Threads