110l/25 gallon approx. What are my best options?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by platymum2801, Jul 26, 2015.

1. platymum2801

platymum2801 Valued Member Member

Have a new tropical set up of 110 litres which I think is about 25 gallons, correct me if I'm wrong. I have 3 platy all female and 2 danio to go in. It's a natural rocky and planted set up with fairly large, 5mm ish, quite coarse gravel substrate. Will get a bigger tank in the future I'm sure but don't know when and if we'll go marine so don't want anything that will outgrow the tank too quick or leave no room for many tank mates etc. What are some types of fish, pleco and shrimp that will suit my tank? Would like a silver shark or two, is that feasible? Been told to avoid cichlids and puffers as they're not too sociable and I looked at clown loaches but saw they get huge. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Hello!

First off, I would get four more danios to complete your school. And no silver (also known as "bala") sharks in a tank that size, they are huge and I'm pretty sure they need schools, could be wrong on that though.

What kind of danio?

Once you finish off your danio school, if you want a pleco, pretty sure you could go with a clown or bristlenose, but I think clown plecos have a tendency to be quite shy so I'd go with bristlenose. Of course, if you'd change your substrate to fine, smooth gravel or sand, you could do a school of corydoras. :)

I don't recommend buying fish that you know will outgrow the tank because you're planning to upgrade. The reason behind my not recommending it is because sometimes, things can happen and you could end up short of money, space, or time. Just my two cents. :)

3. OP
    OP
    platymum2801

Hi thanks for your reply, once I've introduced my current 5 fish I'll go on to add more danio then. My two danio are both leopard. My other half will be very disappointed about the Sharks haha that was his little input. Do bristle nose pleco grow to a suitable size then and would you get just one? How about shrimp? I've seen some great shrimp but again not sure on size and how many you'd get

4. BornThisWayBettas

Yup, just one bristlenose pleco! I'm pretty sure they only grow to be around 4-5 inches, but someone else might know more about that, as I've never personally kept them. :)

What kind of shrimp do you want?

5. OP
    OP
    platymum2801

So far I've considered ghost, red cherry, red crystal or blue pearl shrimp. I think the blue are my favourite. Can you mix though?

6. BornThisWayBettas

I've never owned shrimp, so I don't know. But I do think red cherry shrimp reproduce really easy and fast. Dolfan might know more about shrimp in general.

7. Dolfan

Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

The fish you have and are considering will certainly go after shrimp. If you wanted to try, then go with ghost shrimp as they are cheap, so if they get eaten, it's no biggie. The other shrimp you mentioned are brightly colored and make for easy targets.

8. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Silver sharks get huge and they need a school so I think you need at least 200 gallons, if not more.

9. OP
    OP
    platymum2801

Thanks for the shrimp advice I'll definitely only consider ghost then and we do have plenty of hiding places but I may just rule shrimp out if it's likely they'll be fish food. Yes we've ruled out the shark. Doing a lot of research before we stock our tank and that's exactly why. Don't want to end up with a totally incompatible or over stocked tank. Would like to get the most out of our tank while following any guidelines to keep the tank mates safe and happy. Our list of possibilities seems to be getting shorter and shorter. Any suggestions what we CAN get? :)

10. BornThisWayBettas

Well, what do you think your current stocking list is looking like?

11. OP
    OP
    platymum2801

So far, the 3 platy and 2 danio we already have, plus the 4 danio and 1 clown plec we'll add. We'd like to add a few more to that, not too many, only as many as we can, but don't know what. There are a few types of tetras and barbs I like, and dwaf gourami, but I'm not sure what will work :) still learning about different types but have put a lot of effort into the fish I already have and intend to keep a very healthy and happy little community. I'm just in love with this hobby/lifestyle and would like to get the most I can out of it. Should I have got a bigger tank than 110l now? My logic was to stick to something smaller and affordable since I'm still learning and upgrade in a couple years or when I can. Was advised 110l is still a decent size though

I'm talking finished tank in the long run here by the way, planning ahead. I'm not assuming I'll get all my fish at once. We're taking our time, will add the right amount of fish at decent intervals, I'm just trying to get an idea of what our fully stocked tank will be like when it is eventually "finished" partly because I don't want to go ahead and buy something now that will prohibit buying things we wanted later if you know what I mean. Like going and getting a fish that will just eat the others or hog the whole tank.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2015
  12. bettamars

bettamars Valued Member Member

Well considering plecos have huge bioloads, it really limits your options, so if you're set on a pleco with your other fish, I'd just get a dwarf or honey gourami (I just got a red honey gourami and he is beautiful!). You could also get a Bolivian ram (not a German blue as their temperature requirements is different than the danios) since according to seriously fish, they can handle temperatures from 60-82 F (20-28 C) so I'm sure there's a happy medium in there somewhere for all the fish :) I'm not sure if there's more room considering the bioload of the pleco for more fish like a schooling fish, but I'm sure others have a better idea of how much room you have. Good luck!

13. OP
    OP
    platymum2801

Thanks for all your help :) I love the look of the dwarf gourami so I may just go with a plec and dwarf gourami and leave it at that. I'm sure it'll end up a very interesting and pretty sight to behold and maintain!

14. bettamars

bettamars Valued Member Member

The reason I got a honey gourami is because I heard about a deadly disease that affects the dwarf gouramis (about 25% have it, I've read) due to over breeding. I don't want to scare you or steer you away from the dwarf gourami since you really like it (I can see why, they are also very beautiful!), but I just wanted to forewarn you that it's sort of a risk and you may have to be prepared to get another one of you do happen to buy one that had the disease.

So it sounds like your stock will look like this (unless I'm missing something):

-6 leopard danios

-3 female platies

-1 BN pleco

-1 dwarf gourami

Looks good to me!

15. OP
    OP
    platymum2801

Thanks for that info! Wouldn't have known that and I haven't read it anywhere so it's definitely good to be told. I'll have to do some more research on the honey and dwarf before deciding then. I just finished tweaking the lay out of my new tank and I'm really really excited to get it cycled and move my current fish in. To be honest I love doing all this research on the new fish, it's so interesting and getting me more excited. That list looks great to me, I'll think hard about which gourami to get. I'll probably post pics of the fish as and when they're added :) thanks again for all your help. ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438018740.199428.jpg

16. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Pretty setup!

17. OP
    OP
    platymum2801

Thanks very much :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice