110 Tall Stocking Suggestions

1. smedmonds

smedmonds New Member Member

Getting ready to stock my tank in the next few weeks and would love some feedback. I have no science behind my picks other than searching and googling what others have done. Angelfish will be the highlight of the tank. Using fluval fx6 for filtration. Will also be trying low tech plants too

Angelfish 4-6... rather 6 unless otherwise overwhelming amount of feedback that says no
    Kuhli loach 10-15
    Diamond tetra 8
    Rummynose tetra 20
    Rams 2
    Albino Cory cats 6?
    Blue Gourmis 1 but just learned of Electric Blue Acara which I think I like better

Do I need more, less???

Thanks!

2. OP
    OP
    smedmonds

Was thinking a pleco but haven't seen to many recommendations when It comes to a planted tank??

3. vikingkirken

vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

Seems like a reasonable plan, but be prepared to rehome some of the angels if/when you start seeing too much aggression.

I would go with either kuhlis or cories, not both.

I'm assuming you're planning on German rams? You could do a clown pleco, or a starlight bristlenose (not as easy to find, but worth the search!)

4. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Clown Plecos, and BN's are awesome.
    I agree with what's stated above.

5. OP
    OP
    smedmonds

Aggression amongst each other(angels)? I don't plan on moving angels. Should I consider less?

Cories actually was never part of plan until I thought pleco was a no go. Heard that Corys did better at clean up. I'd rather keep kuhlis and get a pleco. So clown or starlight are good options for planted?

Yes on the Germans.

Should I add these fish in certain order?

6. vikingkirken

vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

I'd add the schools first and cichlids (angelfish, rams, acara) last. Kuhlis are pretty shy, especially if you have something as big as an electric blue acara in there. Make sure they have plenty of hiding spots.

Both of those plecos will be fine in a planted tank. They do need some driftwood to rasp.

Angelfish, like most cichlids, become territorial as they mature. Particularly if some pair off. @bizaliz3 could definitely help you out more with specific angelfish stocking plans.

7. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

What are the dimensions of the tank?

8. OP
    OP
    smedmonds

48x18x30tall

9. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I'd suggest adding more cories than that.

10. bizaliz3

bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

110 gallons is a lot of gallons, but with angelfish I typically stock based on the length of the tank. So with a 4ft tank I would do no more than 4 adult angels.

And I agree with @Anders247 I would do more than six of the cories!

11. OP
    OP
    smedmonds

Makes sense on 4 angels. What kind of concerns should I have as they get bigger? I don't plan on moving any of them if they don't get along. I read where it's only an issue when they are protecting their fry. Someone also just spilt the tank until the fry wasn't an issue anymore.

What's your take on corys with the kuhli loaches. Someone else mentioned not a good idea. Originally I was looking at a pleco but didn't think it would work for a planted tank, so that's where the corys came into play. But a few mentioned a couple varieties of pleco that work.

Thanks

12. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Angelfish are semi-aggressive; they are a Cichlid. They will bicker and do some chasing but that is what they do. On occasion you will get an Angel that is just down right mean and need to seperate or rehome. They are tempermental. When they want to breed, they get more aggressive and territorial; chasing their tankmates away from their territory.

When they reach the age of 6-9 months this is the time when they want to pair up. Not all will pair up. They will test each other out with lip locking, chasing others around except that one they are interested in. Pairs can even turn on each other to the point that you have to seperate them; one will beat the other one up.

If you can not provide seperation or moving, then Angels are not for you.

13. Mike1995

Mike1995 Well Known Member Member

being a tall tank, anyway you'd consider discus? I would think a 110 tall is perfect

14. Lance0414

Lance0414 Well Known Member Member

How about-
    4 Angelfish(2 Males 2 Females)
    20 Bronze Cories(albino regular mix) or 30 Kuhli Loaches
    20 Diamond Tetras
    4 GBRs(2 Males 2 Females)
    1 EBA
    1 Clown Pleco
    Temp.-78'F

15. OP
    OP
    smedmonds

Thanks for the information. I will do what ever I have to keep healthy fish.

16. OP
    OP
    smedmonds

I did and I did really hard. Actually had been sitting on my tank for about 10 years. I think all the water changes would be too much for me.

17. OP
    OP
    smedmonds

I really like this stocking list! Thanks.

Will the angelfish and GBRs get along better as a pair of mates?

18. Lance0414

Lance0414 Well Known Member Member

Depends on whether or not the Angels breed, if they do not then all the fish should be fine, if they breed there will be some aggression and a little bit of fin-nipping.

19. Cricket lynn mclean

Cricket lynn mclean Well Known Member Member

I started with 4 angels unsexed because it's pretty tough to tell until they show their breeding tubes. First 1 Angel stayed out of all the fray while 2 others turned on the fourth to the point that they were attacking him non-stop. I moved him to another tank and had peace for a while. Then the chill Angel and what I learned had become her mate turned on the third and did the same thing to the third Angel. I ended up rehoming him too. @Dave125g had the same experience In a 125 gallon tank. I think it's pretty tough finding 4 that can make peace. Like independence day "there can be no peace" :p I would try getting 4 but I wouldn't plan on it lasting tbh

20. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

Agree. I breeding pair is best. I wish I could do 20. There's so pretty.if your gonna try 4 just have a spare 30 gallon for 2 just in case.