110 Gallons Deep

1. KirkyTurkey

KirkyTurkey Valued Member Member

Hey everyone! I'm a total newbie here who just dove headfirst into the aquarium hobby. I kind of have a unique situation on hand, and I'll admit it is not the best scenario and I think I just have a mix of extreme luck and a ton of dedication to keep the fish I have now alive.

I have a good friend who is really into keeping fish etc. and I bought his 110 gallon and all equipment from him. Super helpful in getting me set up and gave me a good price in exchange for a favor: when I buy the tank I take all his fish to hold onto while he slowly moves over the next month. So day 1 we moved everything over, set up the pumps/filters etc. and I bought ten goldfish to get my cycle started. Things came up and a week into my cycle he had nowhere for the fish to go, so we put his large canister filter on my tank, already with my canister and my hob. My hopes were that the bacteria from his filter would regulate my cycle with his fish in there. Overnight his fish ate all of the goldfish (expected he says) and seemed to be happy. It is now 10 days since I got the tank, my chemical levels were at 7.6pH, 0.25 ammonia, 0.25 nitrite, and 80ppm nitrate last night. I did my first 25% water change, added prime and ich treatment, and plan to test the water when I am off work.

My long term goal is to do graduate research in cephalopods, and I figured it's time to start learning the tricks in keeping an aquarium. So I am starting freshwater, will eventually do a saltwater tank, and years of heavy reading later, will start preparing for an octopus.

I have his fish for another month, and am still deciding on what I want to do with the tank once it is free to fill with my own fish. Either a cichlid tank similar to what he has now, or I want to lower the water level to about 40% and turn it into a paludarium for a little while. I am open to some suggestions and tips if anyone has any, and I'll throw a picture of my progress after 10 days now. I just wanted to start a little thread so I have a way to track my progress and meet some experienced people for the eventual probable crash at some point of my system.

Cheers! -Alex image.jpg

2. Samuel97

Samuel97 Well Known Member Member

Another option you have is a very varied tropical community, once you choose between the three we can start helping you with planning the stocking!

3. bNissan

bNissan Valued Member Member

It would be a good idea to do a very large water change. 80 ppm nitrate is extremely high and will be damaging to the fish, and a 25% water change will only bring that down to 56 ppm. It would honestly be good to do a 75% water change. That will bring your nitrates down to 14 ppm, which is still more than you should want. I wouldn't want to risk hurting my friend's fish.

4. OP
    OP
    KirkyTurkey

Thanks guys, small update already -- Rechecked the chemicals and got 7.6 pH, 0.25 ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrite, and 20 ppm nitrate. Currently draining to do a 50% change now to hopefully get that down to 10ppm.

As for my current setup --
    Filters - Marineland Deluxe Magnum 350 Canister
    Fluvial FX4 canister
    Tetra ex70 HOB (motor just stopped working, will need another filter when friend takes back his FX4 - could use recommendations on a good replacement filter)

2 air pumps
    300W heater

Plants:
    2 pothos
    1 lucky bamboo

Fish I can identify:
    2 frontosa
    ropefish
    python eel
    Albino strawberry peacock
    Lemon Jake
    2 blue dolphin moorii
    Green Phantom Pleco
    Synodontis (high fin?)
    Upside down catfish
    Some other 8" catfish (4 lined pictus?)
    Albino Pleco
    OB Peacock
    12 clown loaches
    Apache cichlid

Names he gave me that I couldn't find/match, spelling may be off as he only said names verbally
    yellow blazed litho
    blue ongara
    chimulis
    black calvus

so 2 requests now: If anyone can help with my spelling so I can look them up I would appreciate that, and then if I were to go with a paludarium setup, could I use just the magnum canister filter or do I need an internal filter to put down in the water?

Thanks all!

5. vikingkirken

vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

Yellow blazed litho=yellow blazed lithobates. I don't see a blue acara in there, but that could be one as well. Black calvus is correct.

6. OP
    OP
    KirkyTurkey

Thank you, and I did some searching and found its a Blue Ngara Cichlid

7. OP
    OP
    KirkyTurkey

Alright so an update on how the friend's fish are doing:

We lost one small cichlid to fish bloat, I forgot to mention earlier I have 3 silvery cichlids of about 2-3" that neither of us have identified. He thinks it was due to stress in moving and then chemical fluctuations with the adjustment to the new tank setup.

The largest clown loach as very lethargic most of the time that I am watching him/her (don't know how to sex), and maybe once a day (past 4 days) it will be a little more active, but I swear I keep saying he is going to die overnight and my friend just says that's how it always looks, and it is very pale in color in comparison to others. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Anyway, i've been keeping on top of chemicals and doing some aggressive water changers and I've gotten my ammonia to be very trace, but not yet absent. No nitrites, and 10ppm nitrates. I've thrown a half of a zucchini in for them every 4th day and can't get the python eel to go for his usual blood worms, I need to look up alternatives for him.

I'm excited to get his guys back to him safe so I can start my own fish collection already, but until next time, I hope not to lose any more fish by then!