110 Gallon stocking suggestions

anmlvrj

Hello all,
I currently have a 30 gallon set up and am switching it out for a 110 gallon.
The 110 gallon will house (what I already have):
1 female firemouth cichlid
2 kuli loaches
1 convict cichlid (unless I trade him in)

I am wondering if my thoughts are ok on a few additions when the 110 gallon is up and running:

Geophagus (possibly Sveni or Winemilleri) - maybe a pair --- I really want to have ones that sift through sand with their mouths, although I see my firemouth do it
Salvini - just like the color but really not sure on the compatibility
Curviceps - not sure if they can go with what I already have or anything extra I've mentioned
Rainbow fish - not even sure if needed but if got along with some or all of the above

Just wondering if anyone has successfully kept any of the above or at least half of the above together in a tank fairly large.

Thank you in advance

A201

Firemouths are one of the few New World Cichlids that do better in groups. Three to five FM's would probably be fine.
A Geophagus pair would likely be fine. A solo Salvini would work. A mated pair can be very territorial & they can be pretty rough customers. The females have better color.
Rainbow fish are fine, but if you're going with a more Central American theme, maybe try Swordtails.
Post pics as things progress.

anmlvrj

Thank you so much for the feedback. Think one Geophagus, One solo Salvini and 2 more female Firemouths and one male. I'm interested in why you suggest swordtails more than rainbows? I like either but I'd interested in why you thought they would be better.

A201

Swordtails frequent the same Central American waters that the Firemouths & Salvini do.
Rainbows would probably do just fine too.

TClare

I like the idea of the swordtails with the firemouth group and salvini as well. You could try to replicate a Central American habitat…it would be an interesting project…

Noroomforshoe

I have 4 geophagus topajay red heads I read, on this sight I think to keep them in groups, but i dont know. They pick up the gravel and spit it out. They live with austrailian rainbow fish. The rainbow fish are great with them.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
gwtterry
Replies
Views
TClare
Replies
Views
Nicholas pilgrim
Replies
Views