110 Gallon Freshwater Build

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by FishGuy86, Nov 24, 2017.

1. FishGuy86Well Known MemberMember

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Christmas came early for my household...last night I picked up a 4 year old 110 gallon tank, hood and stand combo. Apparentlyit came with the house and they didn't use it for long.

Upon inspection...all of the wood is in perfect shape and the tank has minimal scratches on the glass. In fact...I think the back glass has zero scratches...so I'll end up making that the front.

The tank measures 60" long by 24" tall by 18" deep. Included was a heater, two Sicce Voyager power heads, a Marineland 48" LED light and an Eheim Ultra G160 canister filter.

Here is a picture:
    20171123_190656.jpg

I'm going to clean the tank really well as well as the filter and power heads. I had a couple questions regarding the transition from my current 60 gallon:

1. I currently have two Emperor 400s with SeaChem Matrix and Bio Wheels; should I take the Matrix out of the Emperors and load it in the canister and run the canister on the 60 gallon along with the Emperors? If so...how long do you think I should run the canister to ensure enough BB gets in there? My concern are the Biowheels and the BB they have. Should I take them out and load the canister with even more Matrix? What is good mechanical media for this canister?

2. The tank is 60" long...but the light is 48"...Do you think that's ok or should I get a 60" light? This will be freshwater and I won't be doing any plants.

3. For cleaning...just warm water and vinegar right?

4. I'd like to get an in line heater. Would any of the Hydors be enough for a 110 gallon tank?

5. When I make the actual transition from old to new tank...I'll move my sand substrate to the new tank along with new sand. Will it be ok to fill the tank and then move the fish so long as the filter has been populated with enough BB?

Thank you all for all of your help. I'll be sure to post pictures as I go along.

2. KRLValued MemberMember

I’m not going to be too much help but just wanted to say that’s a nice looking tank and I’m looking forward to watching this build.

I’m interested to see some of the answers you’ll get about the BB, as I’m going to be upgrading my tank and need tips on this haha

In terms of the light if you’re not going with a planted tank I don’t think it matters a huge deal. It’s probably more about the aesthetic once the tanks running.

3. FishGuy86Well Known MemberMember

I was just messing around with the light and found that it has legs that extend out...so I'm able to center it above the tank and it sits right on the rim of the tank; based on what I can see...it should be enough. I'll check it out once I get it filled and have decor in there.

4. FishGuy86Well Known MemberMember

Quick update:

I cleaned up the filter. The people before me must have not used the filter much because it was pretty much clean. I let a few pieces soak in vinegar then scrubbed and rinsed. I went ahead and hooked the filter up to my current tank. The filter itself comes with 4 trays.

The very top tray has a foam filter where the water first enters; it's supposed to catch the big items. Once the water passes through that filter pad, it gets routed to the bottom of the canister where it'll pass through the bottom two trays which are supposedly filled with pre-filter media. Then after those two trays, it hits two trays worth of bio-media and then finally goes through one fine filter pad before returning to the tank. I went ahead and used the pre-filter media that came with the filter; kinda looks like macaroni noodles. For the bio-media trays, I pulled all of the Matrix from my current tank and poured it in the trays along with some of the bio-media that came with the filter.

Don't worry, everything was cleaned and rinsed really well. I'm going to let this filter get seeded while I start working on getting the tank cleaned and the back glass painted.

I have to admit...this Eheim filter is super quiet. You can't hear it at all...the only filters I hear are the Emperor's that are currently on my tank.

5. DarkOneFishlore VIPMember

Congrats on the new tank!

The fine filter pad (polishing pad) should be between the bio media and filter pad.

6. 86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

Nice Christmas gift!! Congrats I also will be watching this thread. Just ordered a 90gal. Also plan to use media from existing tanks. How many gallons per hour does the Eheim filter. Also are you saying you have 2 trays of sponges and 2 trays of matrix and noodles?

7. psalm18.2Fishlore LegendMember

Are you moving the existing tank over to the new tank or keeping them running separately?

8. FishGuy86Well Known MemberMember

It's rated for up to 160 gallons with 330 GPH. It has 4 trays total and then a fifth "tray" for the sponge. The two filters at the bottom are supposed to be the pre-filter "noodles" and then the two trays above it are the bio-media. The fine filter sponge sits on top of the bio-media. Hopefully that makes sense.

I'm moving the existing tank over to the new tank. My plan is to get this new tank cleaned up and get the back glass painted. Once that's done, I can get new sand, along with sand from my current tank, and start filling it.

9. ounderfla69Valued MemberMember

1. I would remove one tray of the prefilter media and add a third tray of biomedia, otherwise is fine.
    2. You already solved.
    3. I always add a third of lemon juice to cut the smell of the vinegar.
    4. Being in FL you should be fine with the 300 watt Hydor.
    5. I would rinse the sand well to clean out any mulm in it before putting in the new tank, I don't know what kind of sand you use but pool filter sand is under $10 for 50lbs and if you want black BDBB is $8 for 50lbs at tractor supply.

10. FishGuy86Well Known MemberMember

Thank you for the reply...I'm glad I'm on the right track. How long should I leave the filter running on my existing tank? I probably won't get to cleaning the new tank for a couple weeks...you think that's long enough to have the filter seeded properly?

Also...here are a couple pics with the light on:

White:
    20171124_212714.jpg

Blue Moonlights:
    20171124_212656.jpg

Also...added some brushed nickel handles to dress up the stand a bit:

Before:
    20171124_201628.jpg

After:
    20171124_210830.jpg

11. DarkOneFishlore VIPMember

It would take at least a couple of weeks to seed. 4-6 weeks would be better.

12. FishGuy86Well Known MemberMember

What should I do with the bio-wheels in my Emperor filters? Should I eventually take them out to force more BB to populate in the canister?

13. 86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

Ok just trying to understand this. I understand what the OP is doing seeding a new filter. But what if you have a fully cycled canister filter running a tank now. Can you take that filter move it to a larger tank (but still good enough for the filter) and start a new tank almost immediately?

14. 86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

Jar05g are you saying you want to add the biowheels into one of the trays of the canister filter.

15. DarkOneFishlore VIPMember

If you already have stock, I would get a bottle of TSS+ and when the 110g is filled with treated water, wait 24 hours and then pour the bottle (8.45 oz/250ml) into the tank with the filter running for about an hour and then put your fish in there. Live plants help a lot too. I was able to cycle a 40g tank in 5 days using TSS+, live plants and 10 Rosy Red Minnows.

TSS+ recommends not doing a water change for 2 weeks so the plants help control the nitrates. I'm getting 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and <10 nitrates from day 5 to day 10 (today). I've added 10 ghost shrimp on day 5 and 8 Cories and 2 baby BN Plecos on day 7 and my tests have been consistently 0, 0, <10.

Make sure you wait 24 hrs after treating water. Water conditioner can kill the BB in TSS+.

If you move a cycled canister (or HOB) to a new tank, you should be good but you'll need to add fish very soon after or the lack of ammonia will starve the BB.

16. FishGuy86Well Known MemberMember

No...the bio-wheels wouldn't fit in the trays I don't think. My concern is that with the bio-wheels still running...BB is still populating them instead of the media in the canister. My thought is that if I take out the bio-wheels at some point, the BB will be forced to populate the media inside the canister versus my power filters.

What I don't want to happen is I move the canister to the new tank and get it running and then the tank goes through a mini-cycle.

17. 86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

Ok never thought of it like that I thought the bb would grow at the same rate on both. The 60 is a running tank? Do you plan on keeping it?

18. toolmanWell Known MemberMember

I moved the filter media from my ac110 & ac70 on my 75g to my new Fluval 306 canister on my 40b tank when I had a leak. 40b & 306 were brand new, but were cycled in 3 days with a minicycle. Just dosed with Prime for fishes safety.

19. 86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

Ok just saw your moving existing fish to new tank so why not add 1 or both of the emperor filters to the new tank instead of the power Heads? The biowheels are fully cycled.

20. RythmycWell Known MemberMember

I'm getting ready to perform a similar activity, but I'm pulling seeded media from my 55 Gallon and putting it into my 175.

When I did this for my 10 Gallon, it took a couple days, but it basically instant cycled the filter.

So you're likely to see a mini cycle, but it should only last a couple days while your BB repopulate into the new filter. By the way, since you already moved the media. Check your perimeters. You might be seeing one now.