10gl, One Betta, 3 Platies, Can I Add Bottom Feeders

Ndhp

Reaction score
Finally got my tank established and all is going well. 3 Platies, one Betta. I had a snail but my male platy killed it. He’s been a bully from the beginning. I don’t think I can do another snail. Can I add a bottom feeder that will hold up with my rude guy or is my tank at capacity?

imba

Well Known Member
Reaction score
You might, especially if u have male and female platys together. Uneaten fry might overpopulate the tank fast.

Given platies bioload and how active they are, typically a minimum 20g is recommended to house a small group of them. 10g would be a great home for a solo Male Betta with some snails and shrimp for company

Ndhp

Reaction score
You might, especially if u have male and female platys together. Uneaten fry might overpopulate the tank fast.

Given platies bioload and how active they are, typically a minimum 20g is recommended to house a small group of them. 10g would be a great home for a solo Male Betta with some snails and shrimp for company
Wow the people at petco told me 6 platies and the Betta was a good idea but to start with 3 . My male Betta loves his platy friends so I’ll just do what I need to keep them happy the way they are.

Faytaya

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Wow the people at petco told me 6 platies and the Betta was a good idea but to start with 3 . My male Betta loves his platy friends so I’ll just do what I need to keep them happy the way they are.
Pet stores only job is to move product. It's not a good idea to trust them too much. (Learned that the hard way)

Das Junge

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you were to try anything, maybe two or three ghost shrimp. They have an extremely low bio-load, get big enough that Platy’s cant really hurt them, and move WAY too fast for a betta. Going by a 1 inch per gallon rule, a betta would count as 3 gallons and 3 2-inch platy’s, that’s only 9 inches. If you have a ten gallon, you have 1 more gallon for use. You can get 6 ghost shrimp to a gallon, but it’s always best to play it safe. Stick with two or three at most of you decide to go with it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom