10gallon shrimp tank.

1. DanB80TTS

DanB80TTS Well Known Member Member

Had an old 10gallon tank that I picked up from goodwill for $3.99 a year or so ago. I think it might have actually been a terrarium, so I did some research and it seems like it should be fine with water.
    So I decided to make it into a shrimp tank.

Looking nice so far, needs moved to its permanent location and then planted. So I thought I would create this thread just to share what I do with it. Its my first shrimp only tank and I would call myself a shrimp noob.

Here is how it's looking right now.
    image.jpg

2. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

The tank looks great! Maybe add some Java moss in the tank, shrimp love java moss :)

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    DanB80TTS

That very tiny little patch of green on the right is actually Java moss. I have it in another tank trying to see if I can get it to 'wall'. I'll keep pulling the free floating bits off the filter intake and moving it to the 10g.

4. AquaticBrandon

Oh okay yeah I see it. What kind of shrimp are you thinking of getting? Cherry?

5. OP
    OP
    DanB80TTS

Im going to try the Dream Blue Velvet variety, little more hit and miss than red cherries, but still on the easier side in terms of shrimp. If I do well with them I might try my hand at crystal blacks. Have another unused 10g laying around, although they should be ok to mix, not worried about that anytime soon though.

6. AquaticBrandon

Nice! Those are some very nice shrimp :)

7. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Crystal blacks I've found are very sensitive to water quality & will only breed if the conditions are perfect for them.
    I keep a few in one of my cory tanks & so far they've only bred twice, they'd probably do better in a shrimp only tank.
    Good luck with yours, hope they do well for you :)

8. OP
    OP
    DanB80TTS

Tested water tonight, got some ammonia, 1-2ppm from the flakes I threw in the other day, no nitrates yet though.

Trimmed the hornwort in another tank and replanted the tops in the 10g and I am super proud of how good and bushy I got it to look as opposed the way the rest of it looks in my bigger tank.

9. OP
    OP
    DanB80TTS

Anybody have and suggestion for some stone/rock that I can get some Java moss on, I really like the look of ryuoh stones but want something that will not mess with water chemistry, any suggestions?

10. AquaticBrandon

What about getting some rocks from a beach or lake? I got some really nice rocks from the beach last year

11. Kasye

Kasye Valued Member Member

Love the tank so far! I especially love the look of those plants growing on the driftwood.

12. OP
    OP
    DanB80TTS

I have never attached plants before so I have no idea if it will work, it's Anubias nana and I used some thread to tie it one, hopefully it roots before the thread rots away. The thread is cotton/polyester I think.

like I said I'm on the look out for a stone I like to attach some moss or subwassertang to.

13. OP
    OP
    DanB80TTS

I received my stand today, so I will be draining and moving the tank, I'm wondering if when I refill it I should use water from a cycled aquarium? Would that help the tank cycle any faster?
    or would it just show nitrates and make me thing I've cycled the tank when I've really not?

14. OP
    OP
    DanB80TTS

Got the plants I bought from Dolfan today and planted them, my arrangement skills are pretty bad, I figured I would let them grow in a bit and see if I could arrange them better once they fill up some, here's a pic showing how bad my planting skills are.

I have a black mesh type thing I forgot I had put in my canister a long time ago that I stuck behind the sponge filter to seed the tank, also have about 5 bio rings in there that I pushed into the substrate (not sure if that will effect their ability to seed, but they look ugly having sat on the substrate for a few days.

I tested and was seeing Ammonia 0.25, Nitrite 2.0 and nitrate 5.0. Did about a 50% water change and will test tomorrow (24hrs after adding prime) to hopefully see the cycle completed (first time seeding a new tank, the seeding materials have been in about a week or so)

15. OP
    OP
    DanB80TTS

Little rearrange, black background, filter moved. Shrimp ordered!

Really need to get a real camera... Looks much better in person.

16. AquaticBrandon

Looks very good!

17. OP
    OP
    DanB80TTS

Shrimp added to the tank, here is a little video with bad quality if interested!