Help 10gal Stocking

Sawyer9011

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I got on aqadvisor.com and put in this stock for a 10gal tank but I am not sure if it would work please check

3 x Guppy (Poecilia reticulata)
3 x Neon Tetra (Paracheirodon innesi)
2 x Dwarf Gourami (Colisa lalia)
3 x Green Neon Tetra (Paracheirodon simulans)

Recommended temperature range: 73.4 - 82.4 F. [Display in Celsius]
Recommended pH range: 6 - 7.5.
Recommended hardness range: 5 - 15 dH.

Recommended water change schedule: 38% per week.
Your aquarium stocking level is 117%

Fishbeard

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Alright, here's the changes I would make:

1. In a 10g tank, 2 dwarf gouramis are NOT going to get along. They are aggressive towards other gouramis in most situations. I'd stick with one, and I personally recommend honey gouramis instead.

2. I would choose either green neon tetras OR neon tetras. It may technically "work" but the fish are going to be happier with more of their own species. I also think that larger schools end up looking better overall as well, otherwise you end up with a Noah's Ark look, with 2 of everything, and nothing fitting together.

3. If your water is soft (like the tetras would probably like), you're going to have trouble with guppies. They really do need some hardness in their water. 6-7.5 pH range is HUGE, so what you actually have matters more than the range they give you.

When it comes to a 10g tank, you really need to decide what you actually want out of the tank, and stick to that plan. Trying to fit in a lot of species almost never works in that size of tank.

Here's what I would do personally. You can take it or leave it, it's just my personal taste!

1 Honey Gourami (smaller and less aggressive)
6-7 Green Neon Tetras (Ember tetras are also a great choice)

That would be a safe place to start, if you're impatient about getting fish in your tank (like I usually am...).

Sawyer9011

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
1 Honey Gourami (smaller and less aggressive)
6-7 Green Neon Tetras (Ember tetras are also a great choice)
I like that set up would 3 Nerite Snails be ok to add and what care would the Tetras and Gouramis need

and what other stockings would be ok I have a lot of 10gals not in use (2 in total) that I would like to fill

Fishbeard

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Personally, I'd go with 2 nerite snails for a 10g. It would keep you from having too little food for the snails.

If I were looking to stock 2 10g, I would look into different species of nano fish. Smaller fish allow you to do more, and build stronger communities in a small tank like a 10g.

For example, I currently have a 10g with a shrimp colony, a 10g with honeycomb catfish, and a 15g with least killifish. All very different setups, but all with similar limitations.

What kind of fish are you interested in?

Shelilla

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yea 2 nerites is enough. I have two in my 10 gal and they have been laying eggs on every square inch of surface in the tank that they can find. Even on each other.

Sawyer9011

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What kind of fish are you interested in?
is everything fish ok lol
I like fish with a lot of personal (much like myself)

really I have 2 tanks in use (that I will be taking down for something new one is going to be for a betta ) and 2 not in use so I can stock 4 10gal

Last edited:
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom