10gal fish for nearly blind brother

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by SoCalDiver, Aug 10, 2015.

1. SoCalDiver

SoCalDiverNew MemberMember

Hello FishLore community! This I s my first post :)

I bought a 20 gallon tank that isn't quite set up yet and I talked my younger brother who is disabled and has horrible eye sight (can't pass the DMV test WITH his glasses on).

He set it up with several sponge bob aquarium decorations and blue/green gravel.

With his bad eyesight, I'd like to get him a centerpiece fish. So far the best option I've found is a Betta fish, but his aquarium will not be planted.

Will a Betta fish be acceptable for his 10 gallon aquarium? He got a kit with a cheap filter/light. The filter doesn't cause a lot of water movement, which I understand is preferable for a Betta? The light will be on a timer once we get a fish in it.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Bijou88

Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

Welcome to fishlore! :)

You can have fake plants with a betta, just try to get silk ones instead of plastic so that the bettas fins don't get torn. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

3. junebug

junebugFishlore LegendMember

I'm sorry, is the tank 20 gallons, or 10 gallons?

4. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

Welcome to Fish Lore!!!! Nice to have you here!

A 10g would be perfect for a betta! No, you don't need to have real plants, but like Bijou88 said, if you get fake plants, silk would be preferable to avoid torn fins. Also, don't seen anywhere in your original post where you mentioned a heater. Bettas need a heater, and for a 10g a 50w heater would be good.

5. OP
    OP
    SoCalDiver

It's 10gallon. I also purchased myself a 20 gallon at the DPG sale.

Baby garibaldi are my favorite fish... Just wish I could keep one in a tank!

What temperature do they like? We keep my house around 75 degrees year round.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2015
  6. BornThisWayBettas

I'd say between 78 to 80 degrees Fahrenheit, although I'm keeping mine at about 76 to 77 degrees Fahrenheit. A heater will also help prevent temperature fluctuations, which will be stressful for your betta.

7. OP
    OP
    SoCalDiver

Ok, sounds good! Thank you :)

Are the plants necessary?

(I've never kept a Betta)

Here is his aquarium currently
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1439302485.615316.jpg

P.S. My 20L that I'm working on. Ignore the pictures, my girlfriend didn't want to wait to cycle the tank to put fish in it, so she drew a fish and an otter for the tank
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1439302520.427731.jpg

8. BornThisWayBettas

Yes, I'd provide some plants, even if they are silk plants and not real ones. Bettas love to hide, play, and explore, so make sure to provide them with at least a few plants for their adventuring needs! Also, I'd run your fingers through and over the current decorations, just to check for rough spots. :)

9. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Welcome to fishlore!
    Yes, a betta is fine in a 10g. No other fish with it, though.

10. OP
    OP
    SoCalDiver

When we were washing and putting the decorations in, I checked for rough spots pretty thoroughly and sanded down a couple of edges. I might throw a moss ball in there along with some silk plants. My 20gal is going to be planted so after I get that running good, I might transplant some Java fern or Anubias.

Now I just need to find some pure ammonia to get the cycle going

11. OP
    OP
    SoCalDiver

So, my family went to get fish for this 10gal last night (parents insisted Petco has great fish). We went with the intention of getting a single Betta. My mother decided she wanted more than 1 fish so she asked the fish employee what the options were.
    In his defense, he didn't even mention goldfish but.. My brother now has 2 mollies, and a RAINBOW SHARK. When I pointed out that rainbow sharks grow up to 6" the employee replied with "they rarely get larger than 4 and a 10 gallon is fine for one".
    When we got home I printed off care sheets for both types of fish and pointed out to my mom that a 55gal is recommended minimum size. I also pointed out that mollies can be aggressive. Her response? "Ok? I'll buy your brother a new fish if he dies".

I just walked out of the room. She obviously doesn't value these fish.

12. Gvilleguy

GvilleguyValued MemberMember

Ohhhh...that is so unfortunate to hear. I was reading this thread thinking "yep, betta set up will be perfect in that tank"...and then the mom crushes our plans!

13. BornThisWayBettas

Oh no, I'm sorry. :( All we can do now is just hope for the best I suppose.

14. OP
    OP
    SoCalDiver

I'll sneak the rainbow shark into my 20 long when he gets a little bigger. He's very active and I know a 20L won't be big enough either, but at least he'll have a little more room to stretch those fins :(

I've done weeks of research since getting my tank and my brother got his, and 30 minutes in a pet store and my mom trusts the high school kid working at Petco over me.

15. el337

el337Fishlore LegendMember

Any way you can just return the shark?

16. OP
    OP
    SoCalDiver

If it was up to me, I wouldn't have gotten the shark for that tank in the first place.

This morning before work, I couldn't see the shark. He's probably hiding in squidwards house. He was in there for a while last night. If my brother hasn't seen him by the time I get home tonight, I'll investigate. The mollies looked happy though!

Edit:
    Also, the kid working at Petco tried to discredit my research. He said "what's online is just opinion, there's nobody behind it. If my advice doesn't work out, you can come back and blame me."
    Lost any shred of respect I had for him there. Yes, this is my primary fish research site/forum, but before I make a decision, I always cross-check my research with several other sites.

Oh well, I'll just do MY 20 long right

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  17. OP
    OP
    SoCalDiver

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1439582082.339091.jpg

Update: came home from work for lunch and shark is still nowhere to be found. There's only one hiding spot that completely hides him(squidwards house) and I moved it and he wasn't in there. Any idea where he could've gone? I felt around the filter and he's not trapped behind it or anything.

Could he have jumped out through the gap between the hood and HOB filter??? I looked around didn't see him on the ground or anything.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1439582180.125146.jpg

IM SO CONFUSED

18. BornThisWayBettas

Lol, maybe so, but that was his opinion and he was the only one behind it haha! ;) Not to be rude, of course. :)

Do you have a dog or cat that could've gotten the shark had he jumped out?

19. OP
    OP
    SoCalDiver

2 small dogs, but they didn't have access to this room overnight. Fish was there when my brother went to sleep, fish was gone when he woke up. Dogs are closed up in the kitchen overnight.

And don't worry, I'm completely on your side about the kid at petco

20. BornThisWayBettas

Have you checked in the gravel and pulled out all the decorations?