10g Thailand Betta Biotope

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Aqua Hands, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Aqua Hands

Aqua HandsWell Known MemberMember

Hi, I been planning this since I redid my substrate. I put a layer of potting soil under my sand. I have a HOB sponge filter and one I've hid in my drift wood and behind plants. The following rules will be used.

1. Fish from Thailand

2. Plants from Thailand

3. Water Parameters from Thailand.

4. Lighting Similar to Thailand.

Wants

6. Ratio of Bettas (Read Below Fig 1.)

7. Natural Light Hours

8. Natural Filtration ( Read Below Fig 2.)

9. No Water changes

Fig 1. I will *try* having females in the tank permanently. I will always have a backup tank (20 High) set up if it is needed.

Fig 2. I will always have extra filters if needed and have a cycled sponge filter rated for 20 gallon)

I have also been experimenting with keeping 2 bettas together. 1 male 1 female. It has been 3 months. At first there was some flaring but now there is none at all.

I am thinking this stocking depending on feedback.

Stocking 1.
    1* male Bettas
    2+* Female Bettas
    2* Flower Shrimp (already have)
    any ideas?

I'm going to try rice

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2018
  2. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFanWell Known MemberMember

I wouldnt try the betta idea with regular bettas. But some wild bettas can actually live together! Heres something that cory from aquarium coop did.

3. OP
    OP
    Aqua Hands

Do you think I could put a a male Betta splenden with others?

4. Abby565

Abby565Valued MemberMember

Having a sorority in a 10g is asking for trouble. A male with females in a 10g is just..... no.
    Why no water changes?
    Wild bettas is a much better idea! Much more natural and you can have multiple.

Wild bettas? No.

5. OP
    OP
    Aqua Hands

@Abby565 I want a no wc to see how a complete ecosystem will work. I will definatley be trying wild bettas after some research.

6. Abby565

In a bigger tank that might work, with top offs to replace minerals, but in a 10g, water chages are necessary to remove nitrates. Glad you are going with wild bettas.:)

7. OP
    OP
    Aqua Hands

I disagree, I have seen no water change 5g tanks. I am going to make sure the tank is stable and like I said I always have a backup tank. ( not trying to be rude)
    @TexasDomer What do you think? Do you think I could do Betta albimerginata?

8. InsanityShard

InsanityShardWell Known MemberMember

The plants will not remove things like nitrates, and without rain/soil turnover (as in fresh soil/minerals/rocks/salt e.t.c) flowing like it does from streams, runoff and from rain, it won't work. In a natural ecosystem, aside from being a lot bigger than a 10g, there is a form of natural water changes in constantly flowing, changing water, evaporation, rain, death and more. It's a lot more complex than animals working with each other and affecting each other.

9. OP
    OP
    Aqua Hands

really?

10. GreekGills

GreekGillsValued MemberMember

What a great setup with all those natural tanks, amazing!

11. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

If you're not going to do water changes, I would't recommend any fish.

12. OP
    OP
    Aqua Hands

okkk, I guess I'll stick to waterchanges.

13. FriarThomasIII

FriarThomasIIIWell Known MemberMember

You could do sparkling gouramis! They get about 1.5 inches and are pretty peaceful. Just get one male and the rest females, maybe some kind of schooling fish? And neon tetra are farmed in thailand if that counts lmao

14. OP
    OP
    Aqua Hands

I going to try this.

~15-20 Neo. Shrimp
    ~ 1 Honey Gourami
    ~ 6-8 harlequin rasbora

15. FriarThomasIII

That sounds pretty freaking sweet man. Best of luck and I hope you don't get a bad gourami. Sometimes the honeies or dwarf gouramis are sick due to bad breeding.

16. OP
    OP
    Aqua Hands

Thanks I have my eyes on one actually. He has been in the store for months :p

17. FriarThomasIII

Thats wonderful. Best of luck!

18. Abby565

I hate to have bad news again, but honey gouramis are pretty social and just need a bit bigger of a tank. IMO, they need a 20g and at the very least one other honey. Harlequins do best in 20g+ also.

Why not stick with the wild Betta idea? They are really cool and they seem really interesting to keep.

19. FriarThomasIII

Sparkling gourami, if the honey isn't viable, is a wonderful alternative and a lovely nano centerpiece.

20. OP
    OP
    Aqua Hands

My LFS can't get them. Online is very expensive per fish also.

21. Abby565

I see.
    Then I suggest some Sparkling or Licorice Gouramis. They kind of look like wild bettas actually, and stay just above an inch. I'm not sure if they come from Thailand or not. You can have a small group in a 10g. I have a trio of Sparkling Gouramis in one of my 10 gallons actually. They are really pretty and fun to keep. Licorice Gouramis are also nice, I haven't kept them though.

22. OP
    OP
    Aqua Hands

I am going with licorice Gourami. Maybe 2-3?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice