10g Tank Stocking Questions.

• Thread starter Lizzy23
  • Start date

Lizzy23

so I'm upgrading my bearded dragons enclosure and he loves to watch my fish so I thought I would give him a little 10 gallon tank of his own to watch. but I'm not sure what to put in it. I have a male guppy that I think I will put in it along with a baby pleco but I wanted to put a couple other fish in there to I just can't figure out what. I was thinking maybe a killifish but idk what kind would work. the tank is a 10 gallon long and will most likely have an hob filter. the substrate and decor aren't decided but I would like to have some colorful decorations and maybe a couple live plants. also if your wondering about the pleco I will be moving it when its bigger but for now its fine where it is.

edit: just to be clear the pleco will not be in the tank for long, the 10 gallon is kinda like its holding tank till the bigger one is ready and he is only about an inch long right now anyway so he should be ok.

PheonixKingZ

Well Known
Ummm....no pleco, even the smaller ones need a 20 gal. Tank minimum. I would say get a couple of live plants, and if you get a filter, you could add the one guppie you have, and maybe add 2-3 more male guppies in the tank. You could also add some mystery snails. Any more questions or any fish you have questions on?

Giul

Well Known
Ahh I miss my beardie! Well... it was my ex’s but I considered her mine as well. Plecos are pooping machines so just make sure that if you decide to get one you get it very small and prepare to move it rather quickly. I would personally skip the pleco altogether but it’s your decision if you would like to grow it out.

Would you rather have lots of little fish or more larger fish? I personally like lots of little fish, like ember tetras, chilI rasboaras, endlers (they look similar to guppies but they’re smaller), or celestial pearl danios. Killifish may work in this setting but they’re kind of hard to get ahold of (at least for me). Do you happen to know or have pictures of some that you’ve seen in your store?

Lizzy23

PheonixKingZ said:
Ummm....no pleco, even the smaller ones need a 20 gal. Tank minimum. I would say get a couple of live plants, and if you get a filter, you could add the one guppie you have, and maybe add 2-3 more male guppies in the tank. You could also add some mystery snails. Any more questions or any fish you have questions on?
dont worry the pleco is fine and will be moved shortly anyway as for the male guppies. ive tried mixing males together before and they have always fought and nipped each others fins until they got sick and died from open wounds and infection or until I separated them so I'm just not comfortable having more than 1 male guppy per tank.

Lizzy23

Giul said:
Ahh I miss my beardie! Well... it was my ex’s but I considered her mine as well. Plecos are pooping machines so just make sure that if you decide to get one you get it very small and prepare to move it rather quickly. I would personally skip the pleco altogether but it’s your decision if you would like to grow it out.

Would you rather have lots of little fish or more larger fish? I personally like lots of little fish, like ember tetras, chilI rasboaras, endlers (they look similar to guppies but they’re smaller), or celestial pearl danios. Killifish may work in this setting but they’re kind of hard to get ahold of (at least for me). Do you happen to know or have pictures of some that you’ve seen in your store?
I got the pleco at first for my pond but then ended up taking in a bigger rescue pleco who is in the pond now and the one I bought is gonna be moved to a bigger tank as soon as I get one. for now the little guy is only about an inch long so I have him with the guppy for now. also don't worry I know how big they get the rescue I got is a fully grown common pleco.
I was gonna do lots of little fish but I'm worried about space because I like to have more than enough and most little guys are schooling fish. but a couple bigger ones may be to big for a 10g. so I'm trying to find fish that aren't livebearers that are ok without a big group, and are ok in a 10 gallon which has proven harder than I first thought. I have only seen killifish in stores once and they weren't looking that great so I was gonna find out what kind whould work for what I want, and try to order either there eggs or a couple fish online.

PheonixKingZ

Well Known
Lizzy23 said:
dont worry the pleco is fine and will be moved shortly anyway as for the male guppies. ive tried mixing males together before and they have always fought and nipped each others fins until they got sick and died from open wounds and infection or until I separated them so I'm just not comfortable having more than 1 male guppy per tank.
If you put to many males/females they will bread, and you will have 50 guppies!!

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Lizzy23 said:
I have a solution for this fighting, scoop the aggressor into a cup and leave him floating for a few hours, he’ll learn his lesson

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Florida flag killlies could work. I have 3 I got from my fish only store.

Top Bottom