10G Tank Recommendations

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by guzophela, Jan 10, 2013.

1. guzophelaValued MemberMember

Hi, I've had my 3 bettas for about 3 months. These are my first fish so I'm trying to do everything I can right.
    Currently each fish is in their own 2.5G tank (which I thought was rather spacious at the time) and I'd like to upgrade to 10G tanks, preferably two of them, each divided in half.
    Which 10G kits on the market would you guys recommend? I've been looking at the   and   sets, but I'm unsure of how good the filters are with bettas.
    I was also wondering if I should look at any other tank mates like ghost shrimp, or would that be too much for a divided 10g?
    I'm pretty much at a loss here and trying to get all the information possible (this will be my first "big" tank and I want to go in fully prepared) to make sure my fish are happy.

2. NikitaWell Known MemberMember

Both the Tetra and Topfin 10 gallon sets are great, but the filters suck. If you get the set, just go ahead a buy new filter with it. I would recommend the AquaClear 20 for a 10 gallon, they are great filters. You are able to adjust the flow with them (But I'd still add some filter floss in the output area of the filter to reduce the flow so the betta can be comfortable.

I think you could add a ghost shrimp or two to each side of the divided, it wouldn't hurt. But I'm not guaranteeing that the betta(s) wouldn't eat them. It honestly just depends on the bettas personality if they will eat the shrimp or not

3. EthanWell Known MemberMember

you could always get a 15gallon and keep all 3 in the tank with dividers :)

4. kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

Welcome to FishLore! :;toast I love the betta in your avatar :)

I agree that the filters that come with the kits are pretty darn cruddy. But, bettas don't produce a lot of waste, so if money is tight then it will certainly be sufficient (until it breaks :p I've had mine running over a year and it still works, though the impeller occasionally gets jammed).

I know a lot of people buy a 20 long (not to be confused with a 20 tall; both 20 gallons but different shapes) and divide it in thirds for bettas. I'd love to do that one day!

One thing I'd like to throw out there: I currently have a 10 gallon divided with two bettas, but this weekend I'll be separating them. Even though the divider is opaque, they can smell each other's pheromones and have been nipping their fins out of stress. Some bettas are more chill, but I guess mine don't like each other :p It's always good to have a backup plan in case things go south.

As for ghost shrimps, there are a few different schools of thought. Smaller ones may just be eaten, but at about three for a buck, that's not a big deal. Some have had issues with the shrimp nipping at the bettas fins while they sleep on the substrate at night. But shrimp contribute almost nothing to the bioload, so their waste production is definitely not an issue.

You may not know, but it's an unwritten rule of FishLore that pictures are required, so best be putting some up soon! ;D (kidding of course...mostly ;))

5. Meeps83Well Known MemberMember

I think either kit would be ok. I have a 15gallon divided in 3 and I HATE it. It's a pain to clean and the water flow is impeded. If you're going to divide, I'd do 2 of the 10 gallon tanks divided. It will be much easier than a triple divided or a quadruple divided tank. If you don't like the filters or are worried about strong flow you can always buy an air pump and get sponge filters. They're fairly cheap and work pretty well. Keep in mind though that if you want silence you need to make sure you buy a quiet air pump otherwise it will get annoying real fast.

6. kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

Forgot to mention; I found that the flow from the filter on one side of the tank didn't reach the other side. The water was stagnant and a few degrees colder. I ended up putting a small 50GPH filter in on the other side. This is another reason I'm separating them this weekend. If both sides need a filter (and technically a heater) then might as well have two tanks :p

7. guzophelaValued MemberMember

...this is going to sound so stupid, but what is filter floss? My 2.5Gs had filters but I don't use them, so I don't really know anything about filters either. XD;

Thanks for the info on the ghost shrimp! I'll keep that in mind when I try it out. :)

8. kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

Your profile says you know about the nitrogen cycle; did you tell a fib? ;) Filter floss is a type of media that goes in a filter. Your tanks aren't cycled if there aren't any filters in them. In which case, I strongly suggest you upgrade your bettas' homes ASAP! Also I would click on the underlined text in my first sentence and read up on the nitrogen cycle if you need to :)

9. guzophelaValued MemberMember

My tanks aren't cycled right now, one of the filters actually tore a good amount of fin off one of my half-moons so I removed it.
    For the nitrogen cycle, I thought I knew the basics, but I guess not! I'll have to read up more on it.

But that's one of the reasons I wanted to get tanks now, in order to start the cycle process. C:
    They told me at Petco a tank for bettas only needed 1 day to cycle, but that didn't sound even close to right. XD

10. guzophelaValued MemberMember

I'm looking at prices right now as well and I think I'll stick with two 10Gs, not just because of the cost, but because I'm not sure I can handle the maintenance on a 20G. Someone in my area has one for sale, but since there's the issue with filters and it's a huge jump from 2.5s to a 20, I'll try two 10Gs first. ^^

11. Tigress HillWell Known MemberMember

I just wanted to step in and say :sign0016: to the forum! Great advice above. Please be certain you understand the nitrogen cycle, as it is the most vital aspect of the hobby:)

12. kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

Woo that's great! Your fishies will thank you :) Bettas have very delicate fins and it's quite common that they tear from being blown around the tank. People often make baffles out of water bottles so that the flow isn't so directional. Sponge filters are great for betta tanks in that regard.

BOO that's totally false. I'm helping my friend set up a betta tank and she said the guy at Petco said "uhhhh why don't you get a bowl" :;smack Good thing you're doing the right thing :) Don't remember if I mentioned it (I'm replying in a couple of betta threads, haha) but before I was awakened to the wonderful world of FishLore I had my betta in a bowl, and his fins started turning black from ammonia burns :( So I'm sure your bettas will be very grateful :)

To summarize the nitrogen cycle: fish waste settles to the bottom of the tank and decays, producing ammonia. Ammonia is toxic to fish (it's what makes windex and cat urine smell bad) but there is a type of bacteria that lives mostly in the filter (but to some extent on surfaces in the tank) that consume ammonia, and produces nitrite. Unfortunately nitrite is also poisonous, but another type of bacteria consumes nitrite and produces nitrate. Nitrate is only toxic in high quantities, so we do weekly water changes to keep the levels low. You'll know your tank is cycled when you test the water (with a liquid test kit! Strips are totally inaccurate and not worth your money) and there is no ammonia or nitrite, but measurable nitrate. Ta da! Now you know about the nitrogen cycle :) And now you know why filters in your tanks are important!

13. guzophelaValued MemberMember

Thanks, that info helps a lot! After some thought (and the awesome advice), I'll be going with one 10G first and letting it cycle before getting another. :)

14. kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

Then you can move both bettas in to the 10 (divided of course) while the other one cycles :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice