10G tank needs a betta

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by 3aquariums, Dec 11, 2012.

1. 3aquariumsValued MemberMember

I want to buy (save) a betta for my 10 gallon cylinder, but there is currently a Dwarf Gouramis in there. Can he be moved into the 29 gallon tiger barb tank? Or alternately, can a male betta live with a Dwarf Gouramis in a 10 G? The tank also has a 2in gold tetra and a 1in fin blood fin tetra. What are good companions for bettas? I was thinking 7 cherry barbs in with him if the Dwarf Gouramis moves in with the tigers. The other fish can go into my 46 G.

Edit: Dwarf Gouramis will not move in with the Tiger Barbs
    Edit 2: No cherry Barbs in with the betta

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  2. Akari_32

Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

Gouramis and bettas do not get along, especially not in that small a tank. You can try the 29 for the DG, but I think the barbs may bully him. They tend to gang up on other fish.

I would either keep the betta alone or try some Endlers.

3. OP
    OP

3aquariumsValued MemberMember

Do most people with bettas get the smaller 6g tanks for them? What kind of setups are best for bettas?
    There were a few threads that hinted Dwarf Gouramis are fine with tiger barbs can anyone confirm either way?

Also, no cherry barbs, his companions will be endlers.

Also 2nd, DG not be moved to the Tiger tank

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  4. AlexAlexWell Known MemberMember

I have a 5 Gallon tank that is divided with two Bettas. Two Gallons is the minimum I'd have per Betta, IMO.

Dwarf Gouramis and Tiger Barbs don't commonly do well together. It's ultimately your decision, but I'd suggest other housing arrangements if you want a Betta in your 10 Gallon.

5. BluegillfreakValued MemberMember

I have one betta and six neon tetras in my 10G and love them!

6. OP
    OP

I wonder if moving a Dwarf Gouramis can be used as a reason to invest in a 20 gallon bowfront and stand combo.
    Yes, it can.

7. AlexAlexWell Known MemberMember

Good choices! I have 8 Neons, 1 Female Betta and 3 Oto Catfish in my 20 Gallon. :)

8. OP
    OP

I forgot! I could get more cories then for the new tank! (l love cory cats)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice