10g Tank For My Dad

1. RainBetta

RainBetta Well Known Member Member

I'm going to be setting up a 10G tank for my dad. He really loves bettas, but also likes super flashy fish, specifically livebearers like cobra guppies and dalmation mollies. I'd love to have a betta in there (The tank is going to be half mine, I'm cleaning it and setting it up)
    So my question is, can I do a single male betta and a molly or two? I've had betta communities so I know about how that works.

2. S

Small Tanks Valued Member Member

Bettas don't tend to do well with live bearers.

I would suggest if you put a betta in a 10 G, about 6 phoenix rasboras + either a snail or shrimp is a good combo

3. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Sounds exciting. I did a tank for my mom a while back.
    If you go the betta route, you can do shrimp, or some snails. I would be aware that the shrimp are food, but ghost shrimp will be safer.

Celestial Pearl Danios, Ember Tetras, or even some Green Neons would be great choices for a 10 gallon. I kept some celestials in my betta tank for a while, they didn’t have any issue.

4. BettaFishKeeper4302

BettaFishKeeper4302 Well Known Member Member

Wish i could get my dad to get a fish tank...

5. OP
    OP
    RainBetta

Yep! I'm kinda leaning away from a betta community as I don't want to have to do heavy water changes. I like ember tetras a lot! My LFS sadly doesn't sell CPDs. I don't this that I'll get any GS, or any shrimp for that matter, since my last betta, Rain, choked on one while hunting it. I love snails though! Any thoughts on assasin snails?

6. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

I’ve had bad experiences with a similar stocking.

It was a 20 long and my betta ate $30 of chili rasbora season overnight.

I wouldn’t do any fish tankmates in a 10 with a betta. I would only do shrimp and snails.

7. Adriifu

Adriifu Well Known Member Member

I have a 10-gallon tank running (heavily planted with a big hiding place) with one betta (very peaceful), six harlequin rasboras, one mystery snail, and some ghost shrimp (will most likely switch out for red cherries). I think a 10-gallon betta community is just fine as long as the set-up is appropriate and the fish that go with the betta are ideal. I wouldn't keep any danios with bettas, as they like to nip and chase other fish. Overall, I think harlequin rasboras or something similar are perfect. No mollies; they're aggressive and need a bigger tank.

8. OP
    OP
    RainBetta

TBH I agree, but I guess it also depends on the betta itself. I think I'll find a really flashy and super nice quality betta fish and that'll be all in my tank

9. S

Small Tanks Valued Member Member

I think the important thing with a Betta is it's the LAST thing that goes in the tank, or if it isn't, you pull it out of the tank, add the other fish and put the betta back a few hours later.

10. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

I wouldn’t advise anyone to do it, but I have been keeping communities in 10 gallon tanks with bettas, no problems.

11. OP
    OP
    RainBetta

Yeah. With my last betta community, I took my boy out and added the tetras after rearranging the plants and decor, then I added him and he did amazing