10 Gallon Tank 10g tall stocking questions

belarskio

What should I put in my 10 gallon tall tank. It has smooth large chunks of gravel and no real plants. It has a building with relatively small openings and I want fish that can and will go in there so it is not a waste.
20191201_001411.jpg

20191201_001351.jpg

Also I forgot to add the heater is always set to 80 degrees and can't be changed

jpm995

Kind of a small tank to put more than a betta in. Maybe enders guppies? Their tiny, but colorful and would fit well in their little hotel. Add a few shrimp and it would look good.

MissNoodle

Id opt for endlers and shrimp.

No tetras can go in a 10, especially not a 10 high.

Fishymom64

MissNoodle said:
Id opt for endlers and shrimp.

No tetras can go in a 10, especially not a 10 high.
Ok yeah I wasn’t sure about the black skirt tetras.

DuaneV

A 10 high is pretty limited as most fish, especially small ones, really like to swim and vertical space isn't as good as horizontal space. Id probably only do a Betta and make it a blackwater biotope with some tall driftwood, leaf litter and plants.

erinw347

I like the endler idea. Getting one or two males and a few females and the fry would love hiding in that house :)

bizaliz3

As others have mentioned....sadly, the footprint (length and width) is equally important...if not more important, than actual gallons.

As a result, column tanks are very limited. It's not long or wide enough for active fish. And almost too tall for a betta.

How about a shrimp tank? With lots of tall stuff for them to climb on.

belarskio

I am trying to figure out what to put in my tank when it is done cycling, would you think it would be a good idea to put in 3 endler guppies, and 3 albino cory catfish.
20191201_001411.jpg

Demeter

Longer tanks generally offer more stocking options so you are rather limited. The foot print is way too small for any bottom dwelling fish, even a normal 10gal footprint is too small for a school or corries IMO.

Perhaps look into shrimp and snails for bottom dwellers. Endlers aren’t a bad idea for mid-top dwellers, a school of small rasboras is another option.

kallililly1973

Looks nice! With it being a tall tank and a smaller footprint along with the gravel substrate I wouldn't add cory cats. I'm pretty sure endlers could work or maybe a decent size school of ember tetra or chilI or lambchop rasboras. with shrimp once its established a few months.

Sheena-Phx

How wide is that 10 gallon tall? I would say no to the Albino Corys, as they really need a lot of horizontal swimming space. They are very active fish. I have some and there is no way they would put up with being in a 10 gallon regular, much less a 10 gallon tall. Lol. You are going to want something that isn't super active. I'm a fan of Bettas myself, and something like that would be good for a Betta. Shrimp, and snails would be another good option. Most fish prefer more horizontal space, so this tank will be tricky.

Or, you could put a dwarf puffer or 2 in there I think. Not sure if they need a lot of horizontal space, maybe someone else can offer their input. I know they can be in a small tank, but not if they can be in a small tall tank.... Hmm. Love the little puffers though, they are so adorable! : )

H Farnsworth

Looks like its about one sq ft

belarskio

Sheena-Phx said:
How wide is that 10 gallon tall? I would say no to the Albino Corys, as they really need a lot of horizontal swimming space. They are very active fish. I have some and there is no way they would put up with being in a 10 gallon regular, much less a 10 gallon tall. Lol. You are going to want something that isn't super active. I'm a fan of Bettas myself, and something like that would be good for a Betta. Shrimp, and snails would be another good option. Most fish prefer more horizontal space, so this tank will be tricky.
It is 12 by 12 on the bottom and 17 tall

Sheena-Phx

Definitely not as much room as most fish need. Even most nano fish like more than 12 inches across to work their fins. I would recommend the following based on that size.

-1 male Betta, or a couple of females that get along(They have some beautiful colors and varieties, and they have tons of personality)

-Shrimp-You could have up to 50 and be safe(Lots of colors to choose from, I recommend starting with Neocaridina, very easy to get going)

-Dwarf Crayfish-(Cute, interesting, unique, and small. Interesting conversation starter)

-Snails(any type)Mysteries, Ramshorns, Nerites, etc. Lots of colors, patterns, and personality.

-Dwarf Puffer-Probably one of the coolest things you can have in a tank : )

-African Dwarf Frogs-Not truly meant for freshwater, but I was given a couple and they have
been doing very well for a couple of years.

-Plus lots of live plants for whatever you choose. With a tall tank like that you can really have fun with some wood and plants, it has tons of potential. : )

You can do a combination of some of these things, but you'll want to do your research first and make sure that they are compatible. Shrimp should be kept by themselves, or with snails. Puffer would need to be alone. Betta could be with snails or frogs. Hope this gives you some ideas! : )

belarskio

I know corys need other Corys but how much do they need? Will a pair of 2 do fine or do they need more?

Donthemon

6 or more is best.

belarskio

Donthemon said:
6 or more is best.
But will they be unhealthy/unhappy in a pair?

Crispii

belarskio said:
They will be prone to constant hiding. I used to own a pair of Corydoras and all they do was hide.

Oak77

belarskio said:
My LFS said when I bought mine that there should be six but it's ok to mix them up. I haven't got mine yet due to pre ordering for my new tank. The ones I purchased are julie coryss and blue corys. I got 3 of each.

JettsPapa

I started with 3 c. trlilineatus and 2 pandas. The trlilineatus were were very active right away, and the pandas were also after mostly hiding for the first day or two, but I rarely saw more than two swim together, and mostly all singly.

I finally gave the pandas away and upped my trlilineatus to eight. Now they shoal at least as well as any of the varieties of tetras I have. They still wander around in ones and twos, but there's almost always a group of at least four together.

I'd highly encourage anyone to only get multiple varieties if you have enough room for a good sized group of each.

MissNoodle

Majority of people don't have good social results with mixed groups. Your best chance at happy cories is a group of 6 of the same.

If your tank is large enough for more, you could up both groups up to 6 if youd like. Your "juliis" will actually be corydoras trilineatus, as corydoras juliI is very very rare in the hobby. Trilineatus are a close look alike and are nearly always sold under the juliI label.

Corydoras nattererI is nice (the blue cory). Not one I see around at all here. Its cute.

belarskio

I have a 10 gallon tall fish tank with no fish yet because nitrogen cycle is not done yet and I want to know what I should put in it. The person at the store reccomended 3 corys and 3 black skirt tetras but that seems like a bit much, is it too much?

RyanC14

Wouldn't do corys or black skirts. As people have said above a betta, endlers or shrimp would be good options.

MissNoodle

Absolutely no cories in any 10 gallon besides pygmy cories.... and should only be a horizontal 10 gallon because they have no swim space in a small bottom vertical tank. All other cory species get too big for a 10 and need a group of 6.

Many livebearers are all over swimmers and would do well with a tall tank, and endlers are perfect size for this one. Platies and mollies need 20 gallon and up. You could do guppies, but youd barely be able to have 3. Endlers would be good. Id do a group of males because youd be overrun with fry with any females.

So:

3-4 male endlers
1-3 nirite snails
Cherry shrimp

Unfortunately due to size and type of tank, there are no bottom feeders you could put in this tank. All need tanks over 20g.

belarskio

I really like zebra danios but I don't know what temperqture they like, my heater only does 81 degrees and nothing else, would they do good in there?

Feohw

That's an odd temperature for a nonadjustable heater. Too high for zebras. They like cooler water.

kallililly1973

Low to mid 70’s max IMO

Donovan Jones

Honestly they're good unheated. I've had m ik ne survive ice in a pond. I'd say anywhere above 60 to 65

Ohkla14

What did you end up getting. I have the same. Looking at stocking ideas.

Top Bottom