10g stocking

Brett S.

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What are some stocking option for a 10g aquarium? It is heated, planted, and has a pretty good filter on it. I was thinking maybe 2 female betta, or 2 honey gourami. I love honey gourami. Is a school possible in a 10g or would it have too high of a bioload/not enough space?

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
2 female bettas shouldn't be kept together. A sorority consists of at least 5 in a larger planted tank. Two won't work in most cases. I'd do celestial pearl danios and shrimp personally. Or a betta with snails and amanos. I don't think I'd do honeys in a 10 personally.

Sunflower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Definitely not the two female bettas! They need groups of 5+ and a way larger tank for it to be successful. Even then it’s still controversial. But one single betta (male or female) would work with some shrimp and snails. :) thats what my 10g has right now and it’s very rewarding giving him all that space for himself!

Not sure about gouramis though I’ve never kept them before

bnt19

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Personally in a 29 Gal I have 5 Gouramis (one of them is a honey) and they all get along really well. I know I have 5 and it's a 29 Gal but I think the 2 honey gouramis will be fine together. If you do 1 inch per gallon you could even add a few shrimp or snails.

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Personally in a 29 Gal I have 5 Gouramis (one of them is a honey) and they all get along really well. I know I have 5 and it's a 29 Gal but I think the 2 honey gouramis will be fine together. If you do 1 inch per gallon you could even add a few shrimp or snails.
Honeys are the best gourami to be kept together. This is more about tank size. I'd recommend larger than a 10g personally. Also be careful mizing gourami, it can work out well but eventually it can go wrong depending on the gourami. Some gourami can get pretty big too.

Also the inch per gallon rule has fallen out of favour. Nobody really uses it anymore.

Crimson_687

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Definitely do not do a betta sorority. I attempted one awhile back and it did not go well. These were bettas that had come from a sorority tank at the LFS so I thought it would work. Well, one had fatal dropsy. Another would constantly chase the others until she was exhausted. I later noticed she had a light fungal infection which I treated in a hospital tank. The third betta seemed perfectly healthy- until after a week she came down with dropsy. I had no idea she had it. From my experience, keeping sororities just shortens your bettas lifespan and makes a fish that is supposed to be resilient prone to infections that would otherwise not occur.

IMO the only gourami that would be comfortable in a 10 gallon is sparking gourami. They’re also social so you could keep a few of them, as long as your tank is heavily planted so they can make their territories. They are a very friendly but territorial fish- they will passionately defend their favorite driftwood. You can keep sparkling gourami with bettas, though after doing it myself I wouldn’t recommend it. Sparkling gourami are best in species only tanks, or with very small schoolers such as chili or mosquito rasbora. They are usually shrimp friendly, but I wouldn’t put it past them to snack on one that is small or weak, or if they catch one during a molt. They’re very cunning too

Brett S.

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ok. I think I'm gonna go with 1 male Betta. Is there anything else that I can add like snails? Or do they tend to be messy?

FinalFins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
You can add snails with a male betta as well as other non-betta looking fish (ie not fancy guppies). Oto catfish or dwarf plecos, platys, tetras, mollies, danios, corys, even an African dwarf frog.
Nope.

No dwarf pleco for sure. Most of the fish in the list you created are better for a 20 long.

Except for the african dwarf frog and tetras but i'd like to see tetras in a 20 for best schooling nature.

Oto maybe if your tank is over 6 mo old.

Sunflower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ok. I'm gonna switch out the gravel for some Eco-Complete and I got some driftwood and dwarf baby tears. Gonna probably go with 1 male betta and 1 snail then. Which one is best? I don't want it to breed or anything
Mystery snails are my personal favorite... but mine got preggers at the pet store so now I have about 50.... lol. Nerite snails lay ugly eggs everywhere that are hard to get off and never hatch in fresh water. They also don’t have as much personality. I’m a wee biased though, being a grandma to 50 mysteries XD

LHanna61

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have yellow shrimp, my male betta, some snails and a dwarf goby in my ten gallon. everyone is VERY happy.

The gobies are very interesting but make sure it's a dwarf as these feed on algae and won't bother the betta like the regular size ones would.

tjander

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Use caution on what type of shrimp and fish are in the same tank. If your thinking about establishing a shrimp colony most fish will go after the newly hatched shrimp fry. Ghost and Amanio shrimp are fine with smaller fish, thought.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom