10g Stocking

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by GracieGoodman6, Apr 12, 2018.

1. G

GracieGoodman6 New Member Member

Am I over stocking a 10g if I put in 1 dwarf gourami, 4 guppies, and 3 male platys? If its too may fish what amount do you recommend of each fish for it to be suitable because I would really like these 3 types in my tank. Thanks!

2. GrayGray4231

GrayGray4231 Well Known Member Member

I would recommend only getting 2 or 3 guppies and 2 platies. What are the dimensions of your tank??

3. OP
    OP
    G

its 17.5inL by 12inW and 12.5H

4. GrayGray4231

Oh yes that would be very over stocked if you put that many in there. Full grown, all of those fish add up to be 15.5 inches.

5. OP
    OP
    G

Is there a way I could have a dwarf flame gourami with guppies and platys? and how many of each?

6. GrayGray4231

You could do that, and get 3 guppies and 2 platies.

7. OP
    OP
    G

Thank you! Also one more question, I have a Rio mini 90 internal power filter in the tank, but I have a Cascade 300 filter that I could put in it. My question is that if I add the other filter, would it be able to accommodate more fish?

8. GrayGray4231

I am not the one to ask that kind of question to. I don't know anything about filters.

9. FriarThomasIII

FriarThomasIII Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't put them in there like that. I would do a single dwarf gourami with smaller fish, maybe endler guppies? The endlers are a wild type guppy that is small and extremely peaceful. For filtration, a penguin hob filter rated for a ten gallon would be great, or a sponge filter with an air pump would be excellent. You could also explore nano fish for them too, like maybe a sparkling gourami (1.5 inches) would look lovely. I'd explore your options. (also female livebearers get rather large, roughly 2 inches,)

10. bizaliz3

bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

Extra filtration doesn't provide additional space. Space is equally important if not MORE important than bio-load when it comes to stocking. So no. extra filtration does not allow for more fish in a small space.

11. GrayGray4231

@Fishywife might could help you with the filter problem.

12. Fishywife

Fishywife Valued Member Member

13. GrayGray4231

Oh...my bad.

14. Rtessy

Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

Don't do this, the inch per gallon rule is terrible and entirely untrue. Base it off of bioload, because if you put a 20inch koi in a 20 inch tank, it would not be able to turn or swim, the ammonia would immediately build up, and the fish would die very very quickly.
    Also, extra filtration is always a good idea, you can never have too much filtration but you can have too much flow. Hope your tank turns out well!

15. GrayGray4231

That is not what i was going by.

16. FriarThomasIII

FriarThomasIII Well Known Member Member

in stocking fish, it's mainly "how far can this fish swim before turning around, where does it like to swim, how tall is the fish,etc" you have to have enough space for that. Also, guppies and sometimes platys fin nip when in a smaller environment, so those feelers on the gourami will definately be nipped at. For the 10 (my preference, if your also definitely going for the DG) i would do a single dwarf gourami, 6 corydoras habrosus,about 4-5 endler guppies, and two mystery snails.

17. Rtessy

Then what did you mean by "all those fish add up to be 15.5 inches?"
    You don't have to take all of the fish and add them to calculate turning room, they aren't always in a line.

18. Fishywife

Fishywife Valued Member Member

I think the only thing I could possibly add to this is you want a filter turn over rate of 9 to 10 x your gallonage per hour. As been mentioned before it doesn't mean you can stick twice as many fish in there.

19. GrayGray4231

I was adding up the size of the fish when they are full grown and then comparing it to the inches of the tank. If they grow to be that big then they will be squished in the tank. I was not trying to give the Idea I was going by that.

20. Rtessy

Ah ok, thanks for explaining, my bad. It's still a better method to consider bioload IMO

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice